How large rear mower can my tractor handle?

awdbandito

Equipment
B6000
Sep 30, 2010
Knoxville TN
I have a B6000 4x4 and just added a hub city PTO reverser. I'm looking at picking up a mower or bush hog and am curious as to what size my tractor can handle. I don't want to over tax the tractor, but want to be efficient.

Also, what is the difference between a mower and bush hog?
Are the blades different?
Could I get one deck and just swap blades depending on what I need to cut?

Thanks,

TMetcalf

Equipment
B6000
Nov 7, 2010
Greeneville, TN
My B600E has a 4ft mid deck. Many have 42" decks so I'd say 4ft would be max.

A bush hog has 1 big blade the full width of cut and does not create as clean of a cut as the finish mower which typically have 3 blades in those widths.

Tim

ps...I'm about 50 miles east in Greeneville, tn

Last edited:

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
The brush cutters or rotary cutters(bush hogs) usually use more HP to run them so if you can run a 48" finishing mower you would run a 42" rotary cutter.

chip

Equipment
B6000
Oct 28, 2009
Danbury, Ct USA
I have a B6000 and I have two rear mount mower decks. One is a Kubota k48-7 which is a 48" cut that runs at 840rpm which is 2nd gear pto. The other is a rear mount 60" cut caroni estate mower that runs at 540rpm which is 1st gear pto. The tractor powers the caroni a little better, I think due to the lower pto gear, but I had to ballast the front tires because the front end would get off the ground going up hill with the deck up. It most likely also needs more front weight as the steering is light going up hill with the deck up. I am not saying all 60" decks will work because some are more heavy duty than others but the caroni works fine on my tractor.
I also have a hub city pto reverser.

Last edited:

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Just to give you something to compare, I run a 5' bushhog (1 large 60" blade) behing my L35 and a 6' finish mower (3 - 24" small lawn mower type blades). The 35 hp tractor runs either fine. But a 6' bushhog would be too much.