How do you deal with snow?

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
I didn't want a cab on my new 3301, for various reasons.Initial cost, possible (make that probable) future damage, and they make the tractor much taller, to tall for my tastes, and my tractor shed door and other doors. Keep in mind I have yet to fold up my ROPS, it's been doubled up (but still in place, my last Kubota of 11 years had NO ROPS), since the day I brought it home. My choice there, at least I haven't taken it off totally (and I won't).

So when I get ready to rearrange the snow, I first go next door to my unheated pole barn/tractor shed, where the tractor's been plugged in for an hour or two, then FIRST I unplug it, before starting, it's easier on the plugs and cords not to forget and drive off plugged in I've discovered, so I never start until I unplug! Then I bump the throttle up to a about 1400 RPM, and go back to my heated shop and put my insulated coveralls on, and my snow boarding hat and goggles. By the time i do that and walk back over to the shed, the tractor is ready to go, I never just jump on it, start it cold, and put it right to work. Just an old school way of looking at these modern machines, which can probably handle do just that fine, but I 'll like to baby it a bit and wake it up slowly.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Idaho, along with the gear you mentioned you might want to try a silk mask. Really works wonders breaking the wind and it is light weight and with your goggles and hat it would really help. I bought mine at Cabelas but I am sure they are available at other vendors. Mine is black so I looked like an ISIS terrorist driving my 8N, thankfully those days are over, love my heated cab.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The OL said when I wear my ski mask I look like Im with the IRA,, So as right now you looking like isis and me the ira,,,, BIG brother is watching this site ,,,Hello Big Brother where ever you are :D

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
6 foot back blade on my B6200 - between my rig and my son's 550hp mud truck with plow we get it done.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
Idaho, along with the gear you mentioned you might want to try a silk mask. Really works wonders breaking the wind and it is light weight and with your goggles and hat it would really help. I bought mine at Cabelas but I am sure they are available at other vendors. Mine is black so I looked like an ISIS terrorist driving my 8N, thankfully those days are over, love my heated cab.
Anything coming from Wyoming concerning wind and cold weather protection, I'll pay attention to! For those that don't know what I mean, consider yourself lucky. I use my beard for keeping my face warm. It's amazing how much colder you get when clean shaven. I'm in the banana belt over here, compared to Buffalo.

One other thing I do is plow different for that days vehicle trips. For instance, if taking the Prius, I plow better and more thoroughly then if taking the AWD RAV4, if taking the 1 ton Dodge, I don't plow! But the Prius saves me several dollars every trip into town (40 miles round trip about minimum) so it's my main ride. It is nice though having a bit of flexibility in how good a job I do on the tractor, I love plowing IF I have the time. In a hurry, I'll just do the bare minimum to avoid getting stuck.

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
Erie Receives Record 53 Inches of Snow in 30 Hours
http://www.erienewsnow.com/story/37140059/erie-receives-record-53-inches-of-snow-in-30-hours
(Via Erie News Now)
Today it would have been nice to have a front mounted snowblower. The FEL did a great job moving the snow. No chains, the rear tires are weighted with beet juice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's terrifying.You'd be looking at the potential for roof collapsing. I'd love a lot of snow, but that's power outage level and people dying.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Last winter our seasonal snowfall was just over 13 feet. I'm in a bad lake effect area off Lake Superior.
We are getting blasted again this winter so far.

Like Flyidaho said, I didn't want a cab either. But I bought a G-Max Trekka GM11 dual sport helmet with a heated shield and it is awesome when snow blowing. Even when the snow dust is blowing on it the shield dries up right away. No issues with visibility at all.

I spent a few hours on the yard today. Here is our weather forecast for tonight.

Attachments

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
I really don't like weather reporting with wind chills. Sure the weather is mostly boring and when there's extreme weather, it's the weather guy's time to shine, but lately it's been bordering on fear-mongering.

We had a 5 minute weather report on wind chills to see how big the numbers could get, and they never mentioned the actual temperature. I want to know how difficult my machines will be to start, if my oil line from my oil tank is at risk of freezing, how cold will my unheated garage/shed get, etc. Wind chill is only feeling temps, not actual temps, and doesn't have any power when you remove the wind.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
The thermometer outside on the deck is at minus 30*C this morning. I hate winter already, LOL

adventure bob

Equipment
l6060
Nov 6, 2013
Colorado Springs
Snow? What snow? We haven't seen but light dustings so far this "winter." I say "winter" because I'm still mountain biking in shorts as of Sunday.
I have a Pronovost TRC waiting to chuck some snow and we haven't had any.
My wife says that if the price of the snow blower is what it takes to keep the snow away, then it was worth it. Kinda like carrying an umbrella keeps the rain away.

12horses

Equipment
Kubota M7060
Dec 28, 2017
Prince George
I think that I am going to try a new approach this year. I'm going to hibernate until Easter and then look to see if there is still snow on the driveway! :eek::D

I have an 8' snow bucket on my Kubota M7060. Don't use the snowblower any more and clear everything.

12horses

Equipment
Kubota M7060
Dec 28, 2017
Prince George
We have the cab. I don't like it... can't stand up when attaching implements so doing it blind. In summer its like being in a plastic bag....open windows don't help

precisionbike

Jun 1, 2016
Erie, PA
That's terrifying.You'd be looking at the potential for roof collapsing. I'd love a lot of snow, but that's power outage level and people dying.

The B2601 makes quick work of the snow
I’m glad I have heated motorcycle gear [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
We actually did have one of those inflatable domes comes down in the record snowfall. It housed a turf field and driving range for golf. Probably going to be quite a while before it goes back up.

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
We actually did have one of those inflatable domes comes down in the record snowfall. It housed a turf field and driving range for golf. Probably going to be quite a while before it goes back up.
The one at Family First?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk