How do I create a level grade with a landscape rake (LR1684) & gauge wheels?

johnsayen

Jul 3, 2021
Michigan
Hi all,

I've had an LR1684 for two years now and have been working to level out my beach - I recently hauled in 50 yards of clean sand and added a set of gauge wheels to the landscape rake with the idea being it would provide an equal depth of cut without following the contours of the land incurred by the tractor.

I've had some small levels of success with that but it's certainly not a flat or level grade like you'd see in a horse arena - far from it. I currently have the gauge wheels set to the highest setting (lowest depth of cut) - and wanted to ask what the most appropriate path forward is before making a change to the configuration.

Should I set the wheels lower and dig in with the tines more to achieve a level grade? I've tried finding a good video on this online to no avail.

I tried taking a picture and it doesn't really do it justice - there are some sloped significantly high spots and some low spots throughout the beach.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Attachments

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
You may have better luck with a land plane or even some timbers chained together. I had a much smaller area (sand court for volleyball) and did it with two pieces of I-beam bolted together after I did the rough grading with a back blade.

Had decent luck with a box blade on the 1-1/2 acres of cornfield I planted grass in. Following the box blade the landscape rake gathered the stones off the top.

Here's my first version home brew sand smoothing rig. Simple thing to bolt two beams together. Used boom pole to lift it. Chains could be lengthened or shortened to drag sand so any excess could be cast to the right or left. Where the chains attached to the first beam, there were different holes to pick from to make it eaither more or less aggressive.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
I agree with chim a land leveler might be your best bet. I'd suggest setting grade stakes to your desired elevations on 20-foot centers and work the soil to those points. A power rake on a tracked skid steer, if available in your area would do a great job.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
"I'd suggest setting grade stakes to your desired elevations on 20-foot centers and work the soil to those points. A power rake on a tracked skid steer, if available in your area would do a great job."
Ditto. Mostly. Borrow or rent a laser level (easy to use) and set a few wooden hubs (sorry stakes) with tops at the desired grade line. Then just start working material toward the lows and lifting in those spots to deposit material. You might have to work on the bias or cross ways to get it close to what you want.
Once you have it "close" then you can drag it the full length to take out little bumps. Whatever your choice of dragging implement, it will be more effective at "leveling" if it can be used at an angle as opposed to being pulled straight crossways. This is because the slightly longer trailing length by having a straight blade for example running on a angle will bridge minor lows and leave material there building those spots up.
It's a slow process without a multi angle blade, but it can be done.
Used to be that most dozers had fixed blades and they got it done then. Same basic process now.

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
Do you Have it set straight | or at an angle / ? Going back and forth with it at an angle might do the trick. Repetition helps.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I agree with the land plane (grading scraper). Rakes are good at clean up work, but not material moving work. I personally have all three, box blade, land plane, and rake. They are all good at what they do, but not at what they are not built for.

johnsayen

Jul 3, 2021
Michigan
I do have a heavy rear multi-angle blade - maybe I will swap that out to try to do some angled blade leveling/grading. I have been pulling the rake square/perpendicular to the tractor thus far. Thank you all for the help.