Hour vs yearly Maintenance.

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
hi all, sorry if this has been asked but I couldn’t find a thread. I have almost 40 hours on my l2501 and it will be just over a year old this month. Looking at the manual I’m not seeing anything time related (yearly) regarding the 50 hour service. I’ve always been told to change oil and filters yearly on anything with an engine, I have no proof that this helps besides people always saying it. I typically do this with my vehicle and small equipment. Im wondering if it would be recommended to just wait till I hit 50 hours ( this fall most likely) to do the service instead of doing an oil and filter change at 40. And then redoing the whole service at 50. I typically use the tractor once a week at least for 30 minutes in the fall, winter, and spring, and slightly less in summer depending on the temp. (I hate the heat). I’m mainly just looking for opinions, but if I missed something as well in the manual as well I would appreciate the advice. either way, thanks!

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
I am curious to hear what others say - especially those with manufacturing and mechanical backgrounds.

However something to think about is that an engine that does not get run until it is hot (like very short jobs) doesn't have the opportunity to evaporate the inevitable water vapor and by-products from combustion and humidity.
Thus the oil is designed to "absorb" the acids etc. After so long, the oil's makeup begins to break down. How long that takes varies as you can appreciate.
An engine's internals will be affected by old dirty oil that can no longer protect it.

In the case of 50 hours, or 43 or 52 hours, I think that number is more from the manufacturers for warranty reasons based on potential left over contaminants from the manufacturing process. Personally, if I purchased a tractor new, I would be inclined to do the changes based on the recommendations.
But to use your example, to change it at 40 hours and again at 50 doesn't seem economical or required.

Reactions: 1 user

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
I am curious to hear what others say - especially those with manufacturing and mechanical backgrounds.

However something to think about is that an engine that does not get run until it is hot (like very short jobs) doesn't have the opportunity to evaporate the inevitable water vapor and by-products from combustion and humidity.
Thus the oil is designed to "absorb" the acids etc. After so long, the oil's makeup begins to break down. How long that takes varies as you can appreciate.
An engine's internals will be affected by old dirty oil that can no longer protect it.

In the case of 50 hours, or 43 or 52 hours, I think that number is more from the manufacturers for warranty reasons based on potential left over contaminants from the manufacturing process. Personally, if I purchased a tractor new, I would be inclined to do the changes based on the recommendations.
But to use your example, to change it at 40 hours and again at 50 doesn't seem economical or required.
appreciate it! i try to get the engine to temp most of the time but it doesn’t always work out that way, the 30 minutes was more of an average if I broke down week by week. I am looking forward to more replies as well!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
It's your machine and your money.

If it was my machine and I stored it indoors and I knew I ran run it hot all the time and put on 40 hrs a year I'd wait for the 50 hour mark to do the service. Waiting an extra month or two isn't a big deal.

My suggestion is to get a good label printer and label your service date, hours, and next service interval on all your filters. Easier than guessing.

My other tip is to grease the machine at every fill up. For me that works out to every 8-12 hours or so.

Reactions: 2 users

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I schedule by the hour meter. But my tractor is always stored inside. If it lived outside I would use the calendar

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
hi all, sorry if this has been asked but I couldn’t find a thread. I have almost 40 hours on my l2501 and it will be just over a year old this month. Looking at the manual I’m not seeing anything time related (yearly) regarding the 50 hour service. I’ve always been told to change oil and filters yearly on anything with an engine, I have no proof that this helps besides people always saying it. I typically do this with my vehicle and small equipment. Im wondering if it would be recommended to just wait till I hit 50 hours ( this fall most likely) to do the service instead of doing an oil and filter change at 40. And then redoing the whole service at 50. I typically use the tractor once a week at least for 30 minutes in the fall, winter, and spring, and slightly less in summer depending on the temp. (I hate the heat). I’m mainly just looking for opinions, but if I missed something as well in the manual as well I would appreciate the advice. either way, thanks!
Cmon man!!

12 months vs 13?
40 hours vs 50?

Pick one - it matters not a whit. Your next schefuled service is still 200.

Dab

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
All major oil manufacturers recommend no more than a year between changes.
That said, another 4 months isn't going to make a difference.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
This doesn't sound like a serious dilemma. Do it now or wait. My primary tractor gets around 100 hours a year. It gets new oil and filter in the Spring.

It is stored in an unheated shed. It sees use at least weekly from March-ish til around Thanksgiving. Between Thanksgiving and when things start to green up again in the Spring, it is used sporadically.

The Ford is also stored in an unheated shed. It sees very little use but also gets an annual oil and filter change.

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
Hey guys, haven’t been on the tractor much or had much time but am getting ready to do my first service once the ground dries up a bit. Does anyone know approximately how much hydraulic fluid is lost When changing the filters? Messicks has has a nice filter pack that has all filters I will be ordering but want to know how much udt2 i should get as well.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I lost about 2 quarts of hydraulic fluid when I did the 50 hour service on my HST L2501.
Some folks use a shop vac to reduce the amount lost?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Hey guys, haven’t been on the tractor much or had much time but am getting ready to do my first service once the ground dries up a bit. Does anyone know approximately how much hydraulic fluid is lost When changing the filters? Messicks has has a nice filter pack that has all filters I will be ordering but want to know how much udt2 i should get as well.
If you’re quick, 1 quart. If you have a fumble finger issue, plan for 2 quarts.

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
If you’re quick, 1 quart. If you have a fumble finger issue, plan for 2 quarts.
Thanks a bunch! I thought I read the tractors don’t have super udt2 from the factory, would it be safe to add super udt2 in there with what I assume is super udt? Let me know if I’m incorrect in that though.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Thanks a bunch! I thought I read the tractors don’t have super udt2 from the factory, would it be safe to add super udt2 in there with what I assume is super udt? Let me know if I’m incorrect in that though.
I bought my tractor in 2021 and it has SUDT2 from the factory.