Hour Meter for Attachments

Oct 24, 2019
IN
I'm looking at the service manuals for some pto powered attachments, and thinking about how to be mindful of the hours put on them so I can check oil levels and chains. Are there any hour meters that I can put them that will log operating hours? Something like the ones available for small engines, but it would need to sense something other than a spark plug.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
off the shelf ?, I doubt it.
can they be made ? sure, easy just count # of revs then some 'math'. the manual says 'check every 12 hours or use' ...so 12 hrs x 60 min x 540 rev = 388,800 total revs. When the 'rev counter' = 388,800, turn on a light, ring a bell, send an email ........ Less than $20 in parts, 2 hrs to code...any 'electronics wizard' can do this.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
they make ones that work based on motion/vibration. They are a bit inaccurate, and I've read reviews where people say just walking near them has caused them to "run". They are widely available on amazon.

gas man

Equipment
b7100hst
May 25, 2019
cny
I'm looking at the service manuals for some pto powered attachments, and thinking about how to be mindful of the hours put on them so I can check oil levels and chains. Are there any hour meters that I can put them that will log operating hours? Something like the ones available for small engines, but it would need to sense something other than a spark plug.
just check them once in awhile, or once a week when in use. there's no need for an app for everything. when people were still using mules they checked them and fed them everyday. didn't have a hour clicker to tell them they might be hungry

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 24, 2019
IN
just check them once in awhile, or once a week when in use. there's no need for an app for everything. when people were still using mules they checked them and fed them everyday. didn't have a hour clicker to tell them they might be hungry
It is actually my infrequency of use that makes it hard to keep track of.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Not that I think is necessary but... you could use one of these:

Then have a switch and wiring on the tractor to connect and turn it on when the attachment is running.

Just saying......

I like gadgets. You should see my mule..... 😂

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Ok, $20 out of your wallet should buy you a 'bicycle meter'.It's non contact, selfpowered,just install, set for 'time' display,done.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Sorta like teenagers.

It is actually my infrequency of use that makes it hard to keep track of.
Sorta like teenagers.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I use a seasonal hour meter. At the end of the implement's season I do all my PM's and put it away and I know it's ready to go at the start of the season.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I think the easiest way for you to do it would be at the end of the season. Put what ever you are using on run the snot out of it all summer/winter and when you take it off for the next season, do you checks, oil grease and so on. 99.7% of anybody that uses this kind of stuff will tell you they do it the same way. There is nothing so critical in any piece of PTO equipment to start with, they are designed to work hard, and in most cases be abused, and still work lke they should. So just do your pre ops and dont worry, it's all good

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
I have a notepad and a pen. I try to write in the book start/stop tractor hours when using an implement (more for billing a customer) but it requires a pen or pencil that works. That Murphy has always borrowed. And a mind sound enough to remember to write down both times, then the math, then add it to a running total on another page. Every time. Ahhh theory!

Oct 24, 2019
IN
I think the easiest way for you to do it would be at the end of the season. Put what ever you are using on run the snot out of it all summer/winter and when you take it off for the next season, do you checks, oil grease and so on. 99.7% of anybody that uses this kind of stuff will tell you they do it the same way. There is nothing so critical in any piece of PTO equipment to start with, they are designed to work hard, and in most cases be abused, and still work lke they should. So just do your pre ops and dont worry, it's all good
You're probably right about seasonal service being the most sensible approach.

If there was a $10-20, slap it on with a magnet, vibration sensing meter, I think that's a good idea and I'd buy a few. So far, I can't find such an item.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
see post # 7 or the replay here...
Ok, $20 out of your wallet should buy you a 'bicycle meter'.It's non contact, selfpowered,just install, set for 'time' display,done.

Oct 24, 2019
IN
see post # 7 or the replay here...
I searched for "bicycle hour meter" on Amazon and didn't really find much - most results are for engines.
Can you link me to something?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
bicycle 'speedomters' today actually have odometers, trip meters, date,time, speed and other 'features' probably got GPS in them too ! You just need the 'odometer' feature to see 'total' distance.