Hot hydraulic oil to remote.

PeterC

Equipment
Current: M4060 HST-C. PAst:M9540 cab; M8200; L3600(?)
Jul 15, 2014
Walden, Vt
Re: L4060 HST-C. My first HST and I love it. Just got around to hooking up my forwarder (log loader) which uses hydraulics from the tractor remote. After using a while the hoses get very hot. I assume this is because the HST and remote hydraulics use the same oil. Is that correct? My last two tractors an M9540 and an M8200, both manual transmissions. No heat issues with those tractors.

Thanks for your feedback.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
While I’m not familiar with your tractor, I do believe all same Fluid.

An HST does run pretty hot, which will reflect in your remote some.

Also, your forwarder may be taxing or exceeding the capacity of your hydraulic pump (a part of which is dedicated to hydraulic steering). That will also add heat, which I’d probably be more concerned with.

I would start by checking the capacity of the pump on your tractor. Understand part of that total is steering, and I’ll guess total is about 10 gpm or so.

I would really like to see some pictures of the forwarder. If it’s as I picture, it’s cycling hydraulic cylinders non-stop...that’s how they work...eating capacity and generating heat.

All hydraulics will generate heat. I’m just not sure how much is too much. Get an infrared/laser thermometer and check hoses, valve, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
PS - Peter, I did look up your Specs.
Looks like total is 14.1 gpm, with 4.7 for steering.
So, you’re working with 9.4 gpm of capacity for your hydraulics.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Re: L4060 HST-C. My first HST and I love it. Just got around to hooking up my forwarder (log loader) which uses hydraulics from the tractor remote. After using a while the hoses get very hot. I assume this is because the HST and remote hydraulics use the same oil. Is that correct? My last two tractors an M9540 and an M8200, both manual transmissions. No heat issues with those tractors.

Thanks for your feedback.
Peter
Invest in an infrared temp measuring gun so you have real numbers regarding temps. $15
https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Las...spons&keywords=infrared+temperature+gun&psc=1

To a human hand, 130 F is hot but to any engine or hydraulic oil it is just getting warmed up.

From a very knowledgeable member on a hydraulics web site:

Generally on most systems that have an alarm function for hydraulic oil temperature it will activate at 194+ Deg F, often 203 Deg F.

The hotter the oil gets the more efficient the heat ex-changer, (usually the transmission case) becomes as the rate of energy dissipation depends on the temperature difference between the ambient air and the transmission.

Dave

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
I have no first hand experience with your particular equipment,

But check the fluid temperature at the cooler!

Your equipment might be making heat due to flow restrictions or pressure bypass. But if the cooler is passing air and fluid and doing it's job, Everything might be OK.

90C is getting hot as far as long life hydraulics go.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
100* Fahrenheit above ambient temp is perfectly normal for hydraulics.
Thanks, Kenny. Knew there was a rule of thumb but couldn’t remember it.