Hooking up implements L2501 new owner

TiftTyson

Equipment
2018 L2501 HST, LA 525 Loader, Landpride Rotary Cutter, Box Blades;Bush Hog Til
Mar 24, 2018
ATHENS, GA
I have spent most of my life using a 54 Ford NAA. The Ford seemed to be no big deal so far as hooking up implements. The L2501 has less room to maneuver when positioning bottom arms. It seems like I am having learn all over again how to attach implements. I enjoy the tractor, but I do not enjoy changing implements. Question if I should buy a quick hitch or just give myself more time to learn the technique needed to attach implements.

Thoughts?

By the way the L 2501 is a great tractor. Very capable with a 60 in tiller and a 60 inch rotary cutter. If you are on the edge between it and a 3301 or 3901, make sure you really need the extra power. Modern diesel emission systems using DPF can be a pain. My Ford Superduty was in the shop getting a repair to the emissions system the day I bought my L 2501. It helped me make my decision. Had to drive the wife’s Camry to buy my tractor.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Can you post some photos of the rear of your tractor so we all can have a better understanding of your lift arm arrangement, side sway link or chains, the ends of your lift arms, (some can be extended temporarily to make aligning up pins) and a more complete description of exactly what are you finding more difficult than on older tractors.

Newer tractors are lighter and more compact than older ones and achieve an equivalent pulling power through 4 WD and not weight.

Sometimes the rear wheels can be reversed to widen the track and in doing so provide more working room when hooking up. If you have an owner's manual, this subject will be in it. Sometimes adding spacers between the rear wheel and hub will widen the track and make your tractor more stable and also increase working room.

Dave

Mainah

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501HST, BLMX3164 blower, BB1266 box blade, BX42S chipper, Titan forks
Feb 26, 2018
Standish, Maine
I have spent most of my life using a 54 Ford NAA. The Ford seemed to be no big deal so far as hooking up implements. The L2501 has less room to maneuver when positioning bottom arms. It seems like I am having learn all over again how to attach implements. I enjoy the tractor, but I do not enjoy changing implements. Question if I should buy a quick hitch or just give myself more time to learn the technique needed to attach implements.

Thoughts?

By the way the L 2501 is a great tractor. Very capable with a 60 in tiller and a 60 inch rotary cutter. If you are on the edge between it and a 3301 or 3901, make sure you really need the extra power. Modern diesel emission systems using DPF can be a pain. My Ford Superduty was in the shop getting a repair to the emissions system the day I bought my L 2501. It helped me make my decision. Had to drive the wife’s Camry to buy my tractor.
I’m still using the snowblower on the rear of mine as ballast, and in case it snows again, so I haven’t taken it off yet. I didn’t buy a QH with mine, partly due to price, but I ordered a Speeco QH from Agri-Fab on Amazon and I’ll be installing that before anything else on the rear. All my attachments are compatible and I’m disabled with a bad back so I’m not wrestling with 500+ lb implements. It was under $240 with shipping. Good choice if your implements are compatible. I used to work with farm tractors and you’re right, usually there’s more room in the back with a bigger tractor that can help a bit, but the implements tend to be heavier too...
I agree about the power this little 25 HP has. It’s a real sleeper imho. No need for the extra ponies or the added cost and future maintenance issues at all for most tasks. Mine does great in 22” of wet heavy snow will a 64” rear blower. I made the right decision for my needs, no question. Sounds like you did too.

Shadetree03

Equipment
L2501, King Kutter, Landscape Rake, Titan 3pt forks
Sep 20, 2017
Pueblo, CO
Also really liking the 2501 especially the HST but took a little the first time hooking up to the brush hog. The turnbuckles needed a little fine tuning to get them where the arms were close to tight so the hog wouldnt wander. I found that the oil can and a bar to lever the deck around were my best friend. Now that the arm bushings are wore in, a little oil on the pins and it mates up well. I leave a heavier & longer top link on the brush hog, and use the lighter shorter OEM top link on my landscape rake. I may get a quick hitch later, but for now with 30 hours on the tractor, things are good.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
You won't be sorry by buying a quick hitch if all your implements are quick hitch ready, there are other options like Pats quick if they aren't. Pat's just uses the bottom arms and you still use your own top link, seeing the equipment that you have you might be better with the Pat's set up. Just my pinion.

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
Just get a quick hitch and problem solved and you will be very thankful over the life of the tractor. Just back up to something, raise your 3-point and go. Depending on the implement you may have to raise or lower you top hook which is not a big deal but you have to get off your tractor.

TiftTyson

Equipment
2018 L2501 HST, LA 525 Loader, Landpride Rotary Cutter, Box Blades;Bush Hog Til
Mar 24, 2018
ATHENS, GA
I decided to order a quick hitch. All of my implements are compatible. My tiller will need lower arm bushings (ordered) and possible PTO extender to make up for 4.5 inches the quick hitch will add. My BB and RC are compatible as is.

Quick hitch and bushings are coming from Agri Supply. Hitch is $109 before shipping and tax. Very pleased with products ordered there in the past. I recommend them especially if you are in the southeast. Stores are in GA, SC, and NC. Shipping is reasonable if you can’t stop by a store.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
Not all my stuff is the same so I went with Pat's. Today I ordered a top link with a 20" body. The Pat's puts the pin mount 4" back from the original lift arm mount. The new link will help me get the most out of my rake and tiller.