Hooked Jumper cable backwards - fried stuff

Patrick McGuire

Equipment
L275 DT
Jul 25, 2013
Kearney, MO
While sleeping, I hooked jumpers on the tractor + to - and - to +. Smoke issued immediately from the starter assembly area. Everything electrical died.
Charged the battery, tested the starter assembly at O'Reilys (failed) Installed a aftermarket starter assembly. Still dead.
Tractor is 1982 L275 DT.
Any advice on where to go next? (other than the dealer).

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
First welcome to OTT

Check your fuses - doubt that is the problem but 1 min to check.
There should be a RED wire coming off the solenoidal on the starter that goes to the starting switch. It should be larger than the other wires in the wiring harness, check to see if it has melted and check all other wires for melting.
Getting under the dash is a bitch.

That is where I would start. Where I might end up :confused:
Keep us updated as to what you have done and it it worked.

Good luck

jerrell

Equipment
tiller, B6200, B6000, 2 bottom turning plow, 5 ft bush hog, frail mower 5 ft,
Jun 23, 2013
beebe, arkansas
patrick don't feel so bad about it , i'll bet everyone on here has done the same thing, just jerked them off faster than you, that first PSSSST is a sure tell of wrong hook up..

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
That's odd to me. On an old tractor, there are minimal (no) electronics, so I would expect it to survive with very minimal damage if any.

NewfyDad

Equipment
BX25
Apr 17, 2012
Cranbrook, B.C.
I'm not familiar with that machine, but the next thing I'd do is check for a burned out fusible link somewhere in the major wiring, perhaps between battery and starter.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
The electrical system on these, particularly the older tractors, are simple. Make up a new harness and new battery cables, will cost you about $50 and will take about 3 hours.

You may have fried the ignition switch also.

Make a jumper to the starter and get it running, you will then be able to determine whether or not you fried the rectifier.

Patrick McGuire

Equipment
L275 DT
Jul 25, 2013
Kearney, MO
re-checked all the fuses I could find, then realized there is fusible link in the "big red wire" (2" green loop) between the starter and the switch. That was the problem. It looked alright but continuity showed it open. Fashioned a jumper and everything looks good. I'm told O'Reily can provide replacement wire and connectors.
Thanks Everybody!