HomeMade Grapple

Equipment
B2601
Sep 15, 2022
Ontario
Hello all just a follow up to my May 20 2023 post on my Grapple I made. As you can see in the pics I put serrated teeth at the end of the grapple thinking it would grab the wood better and hold it. Well it did grab it to well and broke my mount on the stationary end of the cylinder. The problem I found is when I close the grapple it has to be able to have the wood/logs slide and allow the wood to be pushed onto the forks, the serrated teeth would not allow this. So I cut them out and welded in a 2" x 6" piece of car spring that has a slight curve to it, which now lets what your lifting slide not crab it. Hope this helps anyone making their own. Oh and the grapple works great, unloaded a pile of firewood logs of my trailer with ease. Cheers

Attachments

Reactions: 15 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Love to see successful homebuilt stuff!

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
me too !!
wondering what bridge is going to fall down without that monster sized rebar in it !!
did you make the cab as well ?

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Love it.

Nice job on the build, and glad its working out.

Greener87

Equipment
Bx2680
Mar 22, 2024
Hello all just a follow up to my May 20 2023 post on my Grapple I made. As you can see in the pics I put serrated teeth at the end of the grapple thinking it would grab the wood better and hold it. Well it did grab it to well and broke my mount on the stationary end of the cylinder. The problem I found is when I close the grapple it has to be able to have the wood/logs slide and allow the wood to be pushed onto the forks, the serrated teeth would not allow this. So I cut them out and welded in a 2" x 6" piece of car spring that has a slight curve to it, which now lets what your lifting slide not crab it. Hope this helps anyone making their own. Oh and the grapple works great, unloaded a pile of firewood logs of my trailer with ease. Cheers

What did you use for the hydraulic cylinder ? looking to build my own but not sure where to start in acquiring this piece

sardillim

Equipment
b2650
Nov 24, 2019
Easton
What did you use for the hydraulic cylinder ? looking to build my own but not sure where to start in acquiring this piece
Nice Job !!!!

Equipment
B2601
Sep 15, 2022
Ontario
Hello I used a 3x 8 x 1.25 inch stoke cylinder , it was used. It has lots of power maybe to much but just make sure you build your anchor point on your frame strong. If you buy one at an auction sometimes they leak and you would have to put new seals in them, but sometimes cheaper than new. In Ontario here we have Princess Auto that sells the cylinders, Hyd. hoses, quick connects everything. I know that I have to be careful picking up things that I don't keep putting force on the cylinder because it has a lot of power. Good luck building yours.

Reactions: 1 user

Gaspasser

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
Very much admire the job you did. Takes lots of inguinity and effort. Well done.