Homemade box blade

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Cutting edge is hardened steel. It's a 1/2" thick cutting edge for a king kutter 5' blade. Just cut 3" from each side so the bolt holes will line up if I flip it. Blade would actually be a direct replacement for my back blade. Complete with matching bolt holes.

The combination box blade/ land plane was actually a screw up for the better :rolleyes: when I was looking online, I saw one on everything attachments website that had a hinge on the back. My dad pointed out that the hinge was to float the back cutting edge :eek: his had that set up originally and he went back and welded it solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
With it up, I imagine it's just a land plane, perfect for road maintenance. Then for landscaping, down the flap goes and you can move oodles of dirt around and back push it where you want it... I love the design.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Definitely a lot easier to use for smoothing out roads and driveways. Would cost about $20 bucks for some weld on fence hinges at tsc,or just a piece of pipe and a piece of solid rod that just fits the pipe and a chop saw to make a set of hinges. And an hour or so in labor to covert an existing one :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
So, DT, have you begun planning the hydraulic toplink?
Maybe later on down the road. Gotta address an oil leak on a wheel seal first and replace the 40yr old starter. Been waiting for someone with an l185 to post what they did for a hydraulic top link and where they tied in :D cut down on some figuring :rolleyes:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Got it painted today :) ten yard paint job with rustoleum primer and orange paint. Was looking for the lobster orange that I've seen posted but couldn't find it in town. Decided to hold off rounding the corners. Too many other things going on. And ran out of steam.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Works for me. You can drop it off anytime.

I am gathering parts now, all repurposed from other retired objects. Woodstove for side plates,propane tank for back end,its also going to open.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Works for me. You can drop it off anytime.

I am gathering parts now, all repurposed from other retired objects. Woodstove for side plates,propane tank for back end,its also going to open.
Just remember to pull the valve assembly off the tank before cutting :D Last year a guy in florida blew himself up along with half his house attempting to saw through an unvented propane tank. Blew out half the windows in the neighborhood and caused structural damage to neighboring houses.

Make sure and post pics of the build :D

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Got it painted today :) ten yard paint job with rustoleum primer and orange paint. Was looking for the lobster orange that I've seen posted but couldn't find it in town. Decided to hold off rounding the corners. Too many other things going on. And ran out of steam.
Pardon me for being skeptical!

What orange are you looking for, the "old" one? I picked up a can of Ace 'Rust Stop' color: Allis Chalmers Orange Gloss that is a pretty fair match for the new orange, which is what my B6100 was covered in.

Last edited:

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Daren, your blade looks great, makes me want to try welding again. In the meantime after Manitoba with TJ swing by here my driveway needs lots of work.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Just remember to pull the valve assembly off the tank before cutting :D Last year a guy in florida blew himself up along with half his house attempting to saw through an unvented propane tank. Blew out half the windows in the neighborhood and caused structural damage to neighboring houses.

Make sure and post pics of the build :D
Last one i cut up, i left open in the sun for a couple weeks.
Drilled a hole in the bottom and blasted compressed air into it.
Fired up the plasma and buddy took off runnin. Lol.
He took a cutting torch to one years ago and it lit up.
I wont risk myself or anybody else's safety.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Last one i cut up, i left open in the sun for a couple weeks.
Drilled a hole in the bottom and blasted compressed air into it.
Fired up the plasma and buddy took off runnin. Lol.
He took a cutting torch to one years ago and it lit up.
I wont risk myself or anybody else's safety.
You need to fill it with water to displace all air/gas first!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I have to agree with bxray on that :D dad made a trailer mounted smoker out of a 150 pounder. Pulled the valves and filled with water and dish detergent and let it sit for a couple weeks before torching :D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Well,Daren-my driveway's a mess. I not waiting for you to show up, picked up my sheet steel yesterday. Just have to gather the rest of the pieces. They are around here somewhere....

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
They just had a blade box on sale at Princess Auto for $500. We have a rain check for it when one comes in.

Probably not as well built as Daren's but it should fill our needs?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Yes,i saw that ad. Was thinking about it, but i want to build my own. needed a piece bent for a floor sump in my garage so i bought a sheet and had it cut to 12"strips.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Tj, make sure and post pic's of your build :D

Corney, post pic's of your blade when you get it as well. :D

County came out and tailgated out about 15 truck loads of gravel on the road. Left a bunch of dips and humps. And made a mess of it where it meets the highway. So today I got a chance to use the back blade again. Dragged a bunch of material off a high spot down to the end of the road and filled it back in. Then went through and smoothed out the high spots. Fixed where it meets the end of the driveways as well. Wife's car and the neighbors car were bottoming out getting up on the road they built it up so much