Hole or slot?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I‘ve owned my MX6000 for about 6 weeks. Before this tractor, I owned a 20+ year old JD. The JD had a turnbuckle adjustment for the lower lift arms; my MX has the new pin holes and slots design for adjustment of the lower lift arms. I’m wondering which is the best method for adjustment: limit implement sway by using a hole, or allow some sway by using the slot?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I‘ve owned my MX6000 for about 6 weeks. Before this tractor, I owned a 20+ year old JD. The JD had a turnbuckle adjustment for the lower lift arms; my MX has the new pin holes and slots design for adjustment of the lower lift arms. I’m wondering which is the best method for adjustment: limit implement sway by using a hole, or allow some sway by using the slot?
If the attachment being used stays out of the ground, use the holes, if the attachment penetrates the ground, use the slots. One exception, a post hole auger, uses the holes.

Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
While I agree with whitetiger as a general rule of thumb, for me some of it depends on what exactly I’m doing at the time.

Running a boxblade or backblade, most of the time I need the precise and consistent placement that the holes provide. I prefer to avoid squiggly ditches and road edges.

Running a rotary cutter around a bunch of obstructions, I personally prefer the slots to allow a little movement if the deck gets “too close”.

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
If the attachment being used stays out of the ground, use the holes, if the attachment penetrates the ground, use the slots. One exception, a post hole auger, uses the holes.
Thanks for the responses. It makes sense, and not any different than I used to do with the turnbuckles.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thanks for the responses. It makes sense, and not any different than I used to do with the turnbuckles.
For me with a smaller B2910, even using the holes I seem to have a bit of side play. Never use the slots myself.

I always thought the turnbuckles would give the opportunity to reduce side play to zero. Never thought about it the other way. In my experience, I CANNOT limit side play with the existing system of putting pins in holes.

Maybe I am the only one...LOL...will not be the first time...

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Bush hog-slot
Land Plane-holes
Disk-slot
Row bedder-holes
Subsoiler-slot
Tater plow-holes

As mentioned above, I use the holes when I don't want my implements to drift much side to side
When I may contact something or I don't care then the slots are little for forgiving.

For example when using the land [plane on my road, I run it right next too the grass drift is not good as it could gouge up the grass.

Best of luck.

Jay