Hole in steering gear box

Jim6100

Equipment
B6100e
Jan 25, 2022
Florida
Howdy my name is Jim. I am the new owner of a b6100e that I am trying to bring back to life. While taking it apart I noticed the steering box has a hole in the top. At some point I assume it has been taken apart because it has black rv tall over it. I am not sure if this is factory or someone drilled it for a reason. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Howdy my name is Jim. I am the new owner of a b6100e that I am trying to bring back to life. While taking it apart I noticed the steering box has a hole in the top. At some point I assume it has been taken apart because it has black rv tall over it. I am not sure if this is factory or someone drilled it for a reason. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
A guess would be someone is trying to deal with water getting into the box. Many of these boxes fail by bearings rusting or break apart from water inside freezing.

The previous owner may have been trying to fill the box to the very top in order to exclude any moisture.

This is a guess!!!

Dave

Jim6100

Equipment
B6100e
Jan 25, 2022
Florida
A guess would be someone is trying to deal with water getting into the box. Many of these boxes fail by bearings rusting or break apart from water inside freezing.

The previous owner may have been trying to fill the box to the very top in order to exclude any moisture.

This is a guess!!!

Dave

This is a guess!!!

Dave
A little back story on this tractor i got it from the second owner who has had it in florida for the last 25years they bought it from a feed depot in northern florida that bought it new. What you are guessing makes sense. Especially since I drained a lot of milky oil from it. However we don’t have a lot of freezing days down here in florida. My friends parents don’t recall doing anything with the gear box.