Higher Capacity Alternator

buffumjr

Equipment
L175
Mar 30, 2019
Orange City, FL USA
The alternator on my L175 is a mere 35 amp, or 25 amp, depending on what you read. I want to use a higher capacity alternator, as I want to have more lights, and a blower. The blower consumes 15 amp.

Why? I live in Florida. August is a beast.

Does anyone know of an externally regulated alternator that does, say, 50 or more amps, that would work?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Why do you insist on an EXTERNALLY regulated alternator? There are many self-regulating/internally regulated that may work and be a simpler solution.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Haven't looked at a wiring diagram, but I suspect he just wants an r+r upgrade ?

The problem could ( will ?? ) be that the current external regulator will not control the new alternator.
Again, NEED to see wiring diagram to understand it properly.

I've upgraded a dozen or so tractors using CS-130 alternators, cheap (free...take offs ), easy to mount, simple wiring, lots of amps too !

Reactions: 3 users

buffumjr

Equipment
L175
Mar 30, 2019
Orange City, FL USA
Yes. The simpler the better. I don't want to get into a total rewire. I did that with a 1962 Chevy C-10, when the generator died. Followed the wiring diagrams. Never worked right. The battery ended up dying after only a few weeks .I ended up getting the generator rebuilt, and restoring the wiring to original configuration. Worked great.

Just give me a more robust alternator I can bolt and plug in, and walk away.

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
Never did a kubota but put a few GM 10si on 8n fords they came out in 1973 internally regulated, one exciter wire from ignition regulator wire on out put terminal and output wire to battery simple now not sure how much room you have on your kubota

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Remember that when you upgrade the alternator, you'll also have to upgrade the wiring from the alternator to the battery !! Wire designed for 35 amp service shouln't be used on a 100 amp alternator.....
Also best to put a 'primary' fuse between alt and bat.....

Reactions: 1 user

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
I agree sorry if I was not explaining clear I would use #8 wire from the out put terminal to the battery

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Take a picture of the current alternator on the tractor so we can accurately guesstimate whether the GM 1-wire will easily fit. :)

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have suggested the mini DENSO one wire alternator to a number of forum members who reported being quite happy with them. For one thing they are smaller than the Delco units converted to one wire operation which makes them easier to fit unto smaller tractors.
This one is 50 amps. Just run one heavy wire from the alternator to the battery and that is it.
Abandon all existing. The warning light system, if your tractor has one, wont work but if you like to worry and watch things install a cheap voltmeter.

DENSO

Dave

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
I put an 12si alternator on my L185, it provides plenty of power.
Switching over to an internal regulation alternator also eliminated the rats nest of wires under the instrument cluster.

barts

Equipment
4wd B5100, FEL with Piranaha bar, box blade, log arch, 3 point hitch adaptor
The mini one-wire alternators from Chevy Sprints and the like are indeed very simple to install and wire; I've used them w/o issues on various project vehicles. I'd have one on my B5100 but there's no room for it under the hood afaict. I'd definite consider the 50A ratings as "will not exceed", but that is true for most automotive alternators. Remember also that pulley sizes, etc. need to be sized so as to spin the alternator at 3000 rpm or more at your usual engine operating RPM if you're going to draw significant power.

- Bart

Reactions: 1 user

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Barts, I've thought about putting an alternator on my B6100 as well. Since mine has FEL (yours too) i considered just mounting a pulley on the pump shaft that goes out to FEL pump, and running the alternator off a link belt, basically above and behind the hydraulic pump. Would probably make a small cover for it as well. The thing is, if i face pulley rearward im technically spinning the thing backwards. But.. it might work anyway? Considering it makes an AC waveform and then rectifies it, spinning it backwards makes the same waveform anyway. What I don't know for certain is whether any of the regulation side of things will care.

So naturally I haven't done it yet. :)