At risk of sounding like an idiot, I need help:

• Brand new L3800 delivered Friday
  • Moved lots of snow
  • It worked great
  • I used the backhoe a few times
  • The last time I used the backhoe it worked fine BUT
  • When I got back in the drivers seat and tried to go it stalled
  • No problem, It started up again immediately
  • Depressed the HST pedal to go forward and it stalled again!
  • It started up again and increased the RPM
  • Depressed pedal - stall
  • Again only reverse pedal - stall
  • WTF?
  • I checked everything and it seemed in order but I was stuck - could not move
  • I would have called the dealer but it was Friday night and they were closed
  • So I was going to post this here
  • But before I did this I looked through the manual - nothing.
  • Before posting I opened a beer and thought about it
Then I remembered that when I got back in after using the hoe, the seat was loose. At the time, I looked and the pin was out so I put it back in. It was missing a cotter pin and that is why it came out. I made a mental note to put one in when I got back.
Then back home with my beer, I thought that maybe there was a safety switch under the seat that prevented the tractor from moving unless there is someone in the seat. I checked and sure enough there is one! I lifted the seat and put it back down again on the switch and presto! Problem solved, off I went. I still have not been able to find this in the manual.
The moral of the story? Beer is good for you lol.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
Page 57 it is! Well done!
It probably wouldn't have mattered anyway because I doubt I would have included the seat in my diagnosis. But then the beer jarred something loose and I remembered the minor seat issue which led to the suspicion that there was a safety switch under there that may have slipped when the seat moved.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
It probably wouldn't have mattered anyway because I doubt I would have included the seat in my diagnosis. But then the beer jarred something loose and I remembered the minor seat issue which led to the suspicion that there was a safety switch under there that may have slipped when the seat moved.
Does is say on page 57, "one needs to drink a beer and relax" :D - I am looking for my manual now!!! :eek:

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
quazz, welcome to the forum. Glad you got it figured out and shared your findings.

Yes, Beer should be a part of the diagnosis process. :D

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
I just happened to have a 32/800 manual sitting next to the machine and remember seeing the diagnostics in it. I'm @ 300 hours and just making sure I haven't overlooked any service intervals and jotting down various notes. :cool:

Now only if there was an easy fix for that seat sensor getting frozen 'open'. Keep the seat down on nights it will get below freezing to help avoid it somewhat. With the seat up and temps in freezing zone, it will almost 100% of the time be frozen. Seat down it's a 50/50 shot of working right.

Last edited:

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
Thanks Considering that is below freezing every night from December to April here I will keep that in mind.