Help with spec for a L4240 please

Orange with Apple

Equipment
M9540, L4240
Jan 5, 2013
UK
Found the forum whilst searching around the topic of my post :) Also as you can tell from my username I'm sitting on my Apple talking Orange :)

We already run a 2011 M9540 and have just taken advantage of Kubota UK's Nov / Dec offer of a new L4240 Cab model at a bargain price of approx GBP 6000 off list. Due to demand, I understand the machine will be a factory order due here late March.

Currently we've ordered a standard machine with the addition of rear work lights, a beacon, rear wiper but am now thinking as it's a factory machine should we take the opportunity to add to the spec?

We envisaged fitting the Kubota eventually with a LA714 loader - but is there any advantage in biting the bullet and getting it fitted now?

Also what about tyres? - we want ag tyres and the tractor will be used for general farm yard duties + some lightish field work. It comes with 8-16 and 13.6-24, did anyone spec anything else.

Also grateful for any other tips here on the spec. We'd also think to run a small blade snowplough on the front as and when needed.

Thanks,
Simon

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
First off welcome to the orange house where all your orange questions might be answered with some tongue in cheek answers:rolleyes:
Anyway, were it me it would be right from the dealer cause if it's not right you have some one to go to that is unless you already have everything for install.
Also the couple bucks different in the monthly payment wont be missed unless your so close to the bone right now theres no fat to work with. As for tires I like the R4 industeral tires, they seem to cover just about the gambet, you know ok for somethings not so ok for others but a pretty good all around tread.
Again thats only MHO, Im sure others have different views

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Welcome to OTT.

I would set it up with every option I needed now instead of going back to add them later. Like rear remotes for example. If you get them now it will be a few extra dollars per month. If you add them later it will be close to $1K out of your pocket for each one you add.

I think you have a good start by adding rear wiper and work lights. I would want the loader and at least one set of rear remotes. Of course this would be a great time to add a second set if you even thought they would be needed. General farm duty doesn't really help describe what this tractor will be doing but in MHO I would go with ag tires. If it was doing loader work 90% of the time then maybe R4's would be a better choice. When I think farm duty I see mud, cow crap and other slick situations. R4's were made for backhoes and skid steers on a construction site not for a tractor doing farm work. That's just my thoughts on it but you know more about what your needs will be and which type would work best for you.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Similar situation, we have an M8540 HDC and I replaced our L5030 a few months ago with an L5740 HSTC. As I will keep this thing forever, I got the rear wiper, work lights, rear and side window defrosters and three rear remotes with Top and Tilt as well as an 854 front end loader with heavy duty bucket and bolt on cutting edges along with chain hooks. I have a Land Pride HR3584 box scraper, so the third set of vales works the scarifiers. I did not get the float option on the rear remotes, but would if I had to do it again on at least one if not two. I put R4 tires on as we don't use our tractors in the mud if at all possible, our land is highly erodible. If you use yours in mud or regularly for pulling ground engagement equipment regularly, R1 tires probably will be better. I put fluid in mine and had them set as wide as possible as we have quite a few hills.

Not much difference between the 5740 and 4240, so I would have equipped it the same.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Thanks folks,

How much do you pay for the rear remotes in the US?
I never checked my invoice, according t the printout I gave to the dealer it was $720, but of course I didn't pay the MSRP, so I don't know where the cost savings came from.

I just the dealer what I would and wouldn't pay for the total package. As I had a trade in it was even harder t figure.