Help with hydraulic top link

Stomper

Equipment
2017 L2501. Landpride Mower. Farm King Snow Blower. DIY Root Bucket grapple.
Jun 30, 2017
Northern Canada
I installed a hydraulic top link in my Kubota L2501. It works great except for one thing. If I drop my box blade to the ground and move forward the top link will compress a couple inches before becoming solid. If I then adjust the top link to where I want it, it will be fine until I lift the box blade up and drop it again. I can actually move the top link in and out a few inches by hand. My thinking is there is air in the system and the top link is such a small volume that the air isn’t getting pumped through the system and into the return tank. Is this possible and if not What could be the problem here.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Normally you need to 'fully cycle' the valve/cylinder several times(5-10-25 ?) to 'burp out' the trapped air.

Reactions: 1 users

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
My is over a year old and does the same thing. The issue is gravity is always trying to extend the cyl, so when you extend it, gravity pulls it out faster then the oil enters the cyl, so you get a void in it. Which is then compressed when you lower the implyment.

dgtvrpepair

Equipment
L4760HSTC RTV-X1100c ZD1211L-72
Feb 10, 2020
Morrilton AR United States
I installed a hydraulic top link in my Kubota L2501. It works great except for one thing. If I drop my box blade to the ground and move forward the top link will compress a couple inches before becoming solid. If I then adjust the top link to where I want it, it will be fine until I lift the box blade up and drop it again. I can actually move the top link in and out a few inches by hand. My thinking is there is air in the system and the top link is such a small volume that the air isn’t getting pumped through the system and into the return tank. Is this possible and if not What could be the problem here.
A top link with a check valve will stop this. I have one and it works amazing.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I put together my own top an tilt but found it would settle or droop some in use or when shut off. I installed a ball valve in the base end line on both and open it to use or to set and when closed it doesn't change even when I park the tractor. I know they make the cylinder check valves but this works good for me. I got some reasonably priced valves from tool lots online. I installed one in my line to the thumb I made for the Bh77 too and keeps that from drifting down when not using.

Bill

Reactions: 1 user

Stomper

Equipment
2017 L2501. Landpride Mower. Farm King Snow Blower. DIY Root Bucket grapple.
Jun 30, 2017
Northern Canada
Thanks guys. I have been looking into a piloted check valve to install on the cylinder to help with the slow creep of the attachment dropping. There is a single piloted check valve and a double piloted check valve. For the top link, which one do I need.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks guys. I have been looking into a piloted check valve to install on the cylinder to help with the slow creep of the attachment dropping. There is a single piloted check valve and a double piloted check valve. For the top link, which one do I need.
Double.

Dan