Help with Height of Storage Rack for Implements

davidmem

Equipment
Soon to be owner of Kubota B2601 Toro TimeCutter Model 7577
Mar 14, 2021
Bethany, CT
Hello, I'm building a lean to off my shed to store implements for my B2601. Plans are grapple, landscaping rake, carry all, maybe at tiller, snowblower.

The cement slab is 5' deep x 16' wide. I plan to header out the opening to have NO POSTS in the middle making easier access to the implements. Thinking something on a 48" pallet can easily fit into the 5' depth.

Any advice on the HEIGHT for each of the areas. I'd like the lower area to store items (mostly) that are quick attach. Back up to the opening, grab the item, and go. Top shelf might hold the bucket, grapple(maybe), or other items will go on a pallet.

Questions:

1) What heights would you recommend for the two shelf areas? (probably use 8 foot 2x4 for side walls, making an 8' height, but can customize).
2) Any other (helpful) recommendations?

Much appreciated!!!

David

Shelf_Sizes.jpg

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I’m not sure how much this will help, but here goes. It sounds like you are wanting to put 3 pt hitch attachments on the bottom and loader attachments on top. I’d measure the height of each implement for each category, and then decide how high you want to be able to lift them. Add the tallest from each category and add a little height for future attachments and also for pallets. That would be the starting height.

Reactions: 1 user

davidmem

Equipment
Mar 14, 2021
Bethany, CT
I’m not sure how much this will help, but here goes. It sounds like you are wanting to put 3 pt hitch attachments on the bottom and loader attachments on top. I’d measure the height of each implement for each category, and then decide how high you want to be able to lift them. Add the tallest from each category and add a little height for future attachments and also for pallets. That would be the starting height.
I don't have all the attachments on hand yet, and some will purchase over the next year, but wanted to go ahead and build the shed so as they get them they're not sitting out in the rain etc

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Maybe consider 'industrial racking' instead of $$$$ expensive wood ? 11 foot wide racking holds 3-- 42" skids nicely. Measure the tallest ground level' implement, add 6" for 'wiggle room', use that # as the BOTTOM of the beam. With 'racking' you can always go up/dn 3" to 'dial in' the perfect height.

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Land Pride has dimensions in their online brochures.

davidmem

Equipment
Mar 14, 2021
Bethany, CT
Maybe consider 'industrial racking' instead of $$$$ expensive wood ? 11 foot wide racking holds 3-- 42" skids nicely. Measure the tallest ground level' implement, add 6" for 'wiggle room', use that # as the BOTTOM of the beam. With 'racking' you can always go up/dn 3" to 'dial in' the perfect height.
Any ideas where I may get racking that's wrong? Looked a little online and only saw stuff that would be about $1,000 for racking 15 ft wide.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Any ideas where I may get racking that's wrong? Looked a little online and only saw stuff that would be about $1,000 for racking 15 ft wide.
Buy used off of CL or FB.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I can get dimensions from the rack I built next time I go there, just not sure when that might be.
(caregiver thing)
I remember the footprint is 60" x 39"
. IMG_0019 4.11.39 PM.JPG IMG_0020.JPG IMG_0025.JPG IMG_0026 4.11.39 PM.JPG

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
search craigslist for home depot style pallet racking. I got like 4 complete sections for my garage with wire shelves years ago. There's companies out there that deal in this stuff.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
That’s really tough to answer. By far my tallest 3 point implement is a Woodland Mills WC-68 chipper at 68.5” height (+ pallet height if on pallet) in it’s folded storage position. If you have a rear snowblower I’d assume it would be similar height. If all you have is box blade, tiller, plow, etc. (as in nothing with a tall discharge chute or some other tall thing I’m not thinking of at the moment) you may not need anywhere near that height. If I was to put my fork rack on a shelf over my chipper it would take at least 10’ total allowing anything reasonable for shelf thickness.

Agree with others, adjustable racking would be ideal.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
need to take weight, span, fork length into consideration. On your top rack you can easily have 1500 pounds up there without a center support with only 3 implements. You can calculate load. I sistered a C5 steel beam to double 2x6s, with steel backing plates, as to not require center support leg. There is another double 2x6 in the middle, then the wall hangers. Also, make your dollies compatible with your forks.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

davidmem

Equipment
Mar 14, 2021
Bethany, CT
need to take weight, span, fork length into consideration. On your top rack you can easily have 1500 pounds up there without a center support with only 3 implements. You can calculate load. I sistered a C5 steel beam to 2x6s, with steel backing plates, as to not require center support leg. There is another double 2x6 in the middle, then the wall hangers. Also, make your dollies compatible with your forks.

(stump grinder goes on top right)

Awesome. Steel manufacturer very near me I can check on the beam. That would be nicer than conventional lumber. Thank you very much for the Post. Love the setup you have.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
need to take weight, span, fork length into consideration. On your top rack you can easily have 1500 pounds up there without a center support with only 3 implements. You can calculate load. I sistered a C5 steel beam to 2x6s, with steel backing plates, as to not require center support leg. There is another double 2x6 in the middle, then the wall hangers. Also, make your dollies compatible with your forks.

(stump grinder goes on top right)

:love: I'll get here some day. Hopefully Fall. Right now my junk is a mess all over the garage floor and my pallet racks are filled with useless old Jeep parts.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
David as a reference, that rack is 43" from the bottom of the 2x6 to the floor, the shelf is 39" deep as my forks are only 33" long. Only 14' wide.

Last edited:
  • Love

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I've seen them on facebook marketplace
I'd recommend buying them from a racking dealer instead of marketplace. New aren't that expensive because there is a ton of competition out there. Buying from a dealer you won't end up with questionable or damaged racks and they will size the beams for your desired loads. I've bought used and new in the past and Im speaking from experience.

In Ontario businesses can't use uncertified safety equipment (a.k.a. if you buy used racks you have to pay for an engineer to inspect and certify). New systems come certified for your loads. No dings, twists, rust, repairs, peeling paint etc to worry about. I bought some new racks last summer and wish I did it the first time.

Reactions: 1 users