Help Selecting Tranny Oil - B6100

FairwayFatty

Equipment
1982 B6100D, B9320 PTO Clutch, Dozer Blade, Woods 348KB-1, Box Blade
Feb 5, 2010
Gretna, Va. USA
Help Selecting Tranny Oil - B6100D

Hello -

I want to change oil in Transmission on my old B6100D so the hydraulics arent so sluggish in the cold weather. My original manual says SAE80 Gear Oil (see attached) but I'd like to use something lighter that might not be so thick and sluggish in the cold as SAE 80 Gear Oil. I've seen some 32W Tran/Hydraulic Tractor oils at Advance and Walmart. Some list the tractors compatbible with it but none say Kubota.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

FF

Attachments

Last edited:

Greg

Equipment
B7100 HST-D 4x4 with FEL, PTO and 3 pt hitch
Dec 7, 2009
Putnam County, NY
I asked a similar question when I joined this forum in Dec. for my B7100. Service Dept Vic told me to use UDT. So I did. I actually bought Super UDT.

GSDGUY

Equipment
L245DT
Sep 7, 2009
Daleville,In
I just this week changed the 80w to UDT in my L245DT. Made a nice difference when the tractor is cold I had the same slow loader problem. Just make sure if your tractor has an internal hydro filter you clean or replace it while your system is drained.

FairwayFatty

Equipment
Feb 5, 2010
Gretna, Va. USA
Thanks for all of the feedback.....

One of my concerns was that this being an older (1978) gear driven machine (not hydrostatic) and newer oils with additives etc might be detrimental to rubber O-Rings or seals that might be in older Trans/Hyd PTO unit.

Greg - Looks like yours is a '77 is it (Gear or Hydrostatic?)
GSD - Looks like your L245DT is a '77 as well and gear driven.

I guess that answers my concern on seals etc.

My local Kubota dealer is expensive........What are you guys paying per gallon for "UDP"?

Also - as Frans asks...what does UDP stand for?

What about the generic brands at Walmart or Advance?

Walmart also has 5 gallon bucket of Shell Rutella 10W30 tractor trans/Hyd. oil for ~$50......anyone familiar with that?

Thanks for all the feedback.......

FF

Amishkingpin

Equipment
B7100 HST with FEL,Tiller,Rotary Mower and Box grader
Feb 19, 2009
Columbus, Ohio,USA
FF,

I have a B6100DT and being the new owner I changed all fluids in all gear boxes. I picked up some Walmart UDT fluid for I believe around $30-$40. The one problem I encountered was in the front gear box for the front wheel drive. The seal started to leak the UDT out. I mentioned this problem to a mechanic at my local Kubota dealership. He recommended that I switch it back to 80w90 gear oil. He said some of the older seals were old and could leak with lighter fluid. He other suggestion was to add an additive to the UDT to help with the seal problem. I switch back to 80w90 gear oil and it quit leaking. Just a possiblity that could happen to your tractor.

AK

Greg

Equipment
B7100 HST-D 4x4 with FEL, PTO and 3 pt hitch
Dec 7, 2009
Putnam County, NY
I did not use the UDT on the front end of my tractor. Only for the Transmission.

FairwayFatty

Equipment
Feb 5, 2010
Gretna, Va. USA
Greg - My mistake....maybe the date on the Kubota website shows the first year the models were made? http://www.kubota.com/priorproduct/BSeries.aspx It says the B6100DT was '78 but I found one of my manuals says 1982....

Amish - are you using the walmart SuperTech Tractor Tran/Hyd oil?

Near as I can tell UDT stands for "Universal Drive Train" least that what my local dealer said and they want $59 for a 5 gal. bucket of UDP (not SUDP) he said the SUDP is for hydrostatic tractors.

Thanks for all the info and you guys have some great looking tractors! I'd like to restore mine someday.

Anyone know where I can get a seat cover that comes with the padding too? My local dealer has a cover for $40 but it doesn't come with any padding just the cover.

Thanks again.

FF