Help!- operating 3 point hitch

Tim

Feb 15, 2010
Tampa, Florida USA
I purchased a used 2004 M5700 with 600 hours that came with a LA1002 FEL, and a M4711 backhoe. The previous owner never used the catll hitch just the front end loader and backhoe. The M4711 is frame mounted and has its own hydraulic pump that works off the pto. I plan on disconnecting the backhoe and install a three point hitch in order to connect my bush hog for mowing. With the backhoe still connected I tried lowering and raising the catll hitch arms with the position control lever but nothing happens when I operate the position control lever. I have the 3-point lowering speed knob set somewhere between fast and slow (per the owner’s manual) and the engine at idle (approximately 1200 rpm). The catll arms remain in the upright position and do not move.

I have read some posts that talk about power beyond connections having to be connected (whatever that is), and also that the down travel may be gravity only and requires the 3 point hitch to have some weight on it. I am totally confused and would really appreciate a jack and jil version of what steps I need to take in order to get my catll hitch to work properly. I have read my owners manual and I think I have done what it says I need to do but still no luck.

I would be surprised to learn that the 3 point hitch is gravity only for down travel. I would hope to be able to exert down pressure on some implements that may be connected to the 3 point hitch from time to time.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you in advance.

Tim

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
There is no down pressure on a 3 PH. It floats when all the way down and has a lower limit when partially down - but no upper restriction to travel. (There are a very few tractors that have down pressure on the 3 PH. It is quite uncommon.)

Some BH equipped tractors have a lever to engage the hydraulics for the 3 PH or, alternatively, the BH. You may want to check your manual. Sometimes the lever is hidden away.

After reviewing your post, the hydraulic pump is driven off of the PTO so the tractor wouldn't have a lever to select the 3 PH or BH. However, the 3 PH does not run off of the "power beyond" system that can be rigged to the spool that operates the FEL. It is internal on most tractors. My M7040 has external 3 PH hydraulics so maybe that setup is common on "M" series tractors. Just look for hydraulic cylinders attached to the upper 3 PH arms.

The lift arms may not have ever been used from your description so may be quite stiff. Some weight on them should initiate movement once the BH is off.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It sounds like you have the same type of backhoe that I do. If it hooks up to the tractor in the same way that a normal implement would the 3ph would go down with the bachoe attached. The top link bar restricks it from doing so. Have you already taken the backhoe off or not. That information would maybe make it easier to help diagnose your problem. I no on my tractor the backhoe can't be removed without some movement in the lift arms. If you have removed the backhoe I would try opening the valve under the seat some more to see if that helps. It won't hurt anything to try that. Have you checked the condition of the lift arm upper connections to insure they aren't siezed up? Keep us posted.