Help Needed to Identify Tiller Make/Model

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Case 580M Turbo; Kioti DK4210SE-CH; Kubota L2501 (Traded-in)
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
We picked up this 42" offset tiller to run behind our Kubota L2501. Everything went well for the first 1/2 hour when suddenly the driveline dis-engaged when the tiller dug up a particularly large rock. We didn't think much of it and began looking for the shear pin.

You need to remove 4 bolts to remove a protective cover for the short driveshaft that goes from the gearbox to the side chain drive. As it turns out the shear pin is missing but the previous owner must have continued driving until final the friction caused so much heat that it effectively welded the driveshaft flange to the shaft for the chain drive. That's the first problem that we need to solve.

Because there was essentially to shear pin... the weakest link broke - which turned out to be the pinion gear.

I have a few questions for the experts.

1. Does anyone recognize this tiller and know what make/model it is? (It has a John Deere decal on it.... but the underside is all orange. There's no mfg tag to be found.

2. Does anyone know where I might be able to source the pinion gear? We definitely need to get a new one.

3. Finally, looking for some ideas in how we can get the u-joint flange off of the shaft. We've used a torch to try to heat the flange - but that hasn't worked. I'm tempted to cut the u-joint flange (abrasive wheel) but open to other/better ideas.

Thanks in advance.

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Case 580M Turbo; Kioti DK4210SE-CH; Kubota L2501 (Traded-in)
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
Doesn't look like anyone recognizes this unicorn... I am slowly giving up :mad:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Doesn't look like anyone recognizes this unicorn... I am slowly giving up :mad:
I suggest you put your efforts into trying to identify the gearbox.

Clean the paint off and start looking for a clue.

The gearbox manufacturer is far more likely to have parts than a tiller manufacturer.

I assume the JD logo and green color are not true.

Dave

powersrp

Equipment
B3350
Apr 2, 2017
Indian River MI
Take the caps off the u joint and press or beat the joint apart, heat the end stuck on the shaft and use a puller, it should pop right off, you may have to start at the other end and remove the gearbox so you have some room to take u joint apart. take some measurements and look on amazon for a puller, gear /bearing/ flywheel/ puller, maybe northern tool also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: