Help me fill out my tool set

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Not sure if mentioned but you should have a BFH (Big F...ing Hammer), and a big pry bar. Some things need persuading

Reactions: 2 users

MikeJP

Equipment
SCL75-2
May 4, 2023
California
Apparently, I've been storing my torque wrenches wrong for years. 🤯
I believe when they first went from the old bar type torque wrenches to the first “clicker” kind they told everyone to set them back to zero and that kind of stuck. My digital Snap On torque wrenches don’t have to be changed at all after use, leave them where they are the Snap On dealer tells me.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Has anyone on this forum ever really filled out or up their toolbox/chest/cabinets/shops with tools and equipment, etc.? Let's not forget metal/wood/automotive/ electronics/etc. needed. Have anyone said, "gee I have too many tools". Those of you that have a second home, it's always fun to start buying doubles of everything. I've lived by this quote most of my life "Man is a tool using-animal. Without tools man is nothing, with tools he is all." Thomas Carlyle.

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
Picked up a set of larger metric wrenches. I would have liked ratcheting wrenches, but they can get stupid expensive. I had looked at a few different 4-5 piece sets and decided to give the Icons a go since they were an extra 25% off this weekend.

ICON Professional Large Metric Combination Wrench Set, 5 Piece - Item 64803 https://hftools.com/app64803

Next up I need to decide on a set of impact sockets. I'd love to get a set with no skips, but they can get spendy!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Picked up a set of larger metric wrenches. I would have liked ratcheting wrenches, but they can get stupid expensive. I had looked at a few different 4-5 piece sets and decided to give the Icons a go since they were an extra 25% off this weekend.

ICON Professional Large Metric Combination Wrench Set, 5 Piece - Item 64803 https://hftools.com/app64803

Next up I need to decide on a set of impact sockets. I'd love to get a set with no skips, but they can get spendy!
Don’t know much about a B series, but my BX doesn’t require much beyond 20mm. I think you have a good start.

I got a few metrics 25-32mm for other purposes but haven’t gotten into them much for the tractor. I bought them individually when needed.

Mower deck requires 30mm for blade bolts.

Reactions: 1 user

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
Well, I forgot to update last weekend, but I made a second trip to HF with the 25% off coupon and I picked up a set of chrome 1/2” metric deep sockets. Now I have wrenches and chrome sockets without skips up to 24mm.
I am looking at this Sunex impact kit that goes to 30mm without skips then skips 31mm. https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-2645-2...2291&sprefix=Sun+Dx+1/2"+,aps,120&sr=8-5&th=1

I may hold off just a bit as I do have some deep 1/2’ impact sockets that do have some skips, but go to 27mm. I think right now the two kits I got will be quite helpful.

In the future I’d like to add:
-above referenced standard impact sockets
-impact swivel sockets
-more SAE sockets
- Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2” mid-torque impact wrench, but will wait for a sale. I have the M18 Fuel 3/8” compact from I believe the previous generation
- new torque wrenches
- a larger deadblow hammer

The thing about tools is you can never have too many :D. Thank you for everyone so far that has helped out. Here’s a few pictures of a couple of my drawers. First pic shows the new Icon wrenches I picked up along with my other metric wrenches… not all are pictured. Then my ratchet and socket drawer. I have since moved the impact sockets to the impact drawer and filled the space with the new Icon chrome deep sockets.

Attachments

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I will add one thing a Cordless 1/2" impact gun is amazing, it is possibly my most used power tool I'm into the ridgid brand but if y ou are into the milwakke or dewalt battery line then they are probably superior. I haven't used my pneumatic impact since I bought it a few years ago. And with a step down adapter ad its multiple torque/:speed settings it'll do most tasks im.sure others will disagree
The 3/8 cordless (DeWalt) usually works for me.
If I need 1/2" or 3/4", I use my pneumatic impacts.

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
The 3/8 cordless (DeWalt) usually works for me.
If I need 1/2" or 3/4", I use my pneumatic impacts.
My 3/8" Milwaukee usually works, but it's the original compact that is only 200ft/lb I think so I have to switch to my pneumatic impact more often than I'd like.