Help another newbie decide between a B2601 vs LX2610

Willabe

Equipment
LX2610
Jun 9, 2021
I just joined this morning, but have learned a ton from reading the forum over the last several weeks. Many of my questions have been answered by looking through past posts, and like many others I have narrowed my options down to the B2601 and LX2610.

I currently have a little over 2.5, mostly flat acres in the PNW, though in the long term we are interested in (but not actively seeking) a larger property. Current tractor work would include general FEL/pallet fork material handling, maintenance of a 300 foot gravel drive and 50x100 parking area, using a middle-buster to improve drainage, tilling a large garden and corn/wildlife plots, and brush hogging (blackberries along fences and a pasture area with saplings < 3/4 inch). I don't plan on getting a MMM since we have a nice riding mower already and not much finished lawn. I've periodically borrowed a neighbor's B1600 and it is clearly outmatched for tilling, brush hogging, and heavier FEL tasks.

My impression is that a B2601 would easily handle the tasks I currently have. When I went to the dealer though, I was surprised that the LX2610 wasn't that much larger, was only $1200 more (tractor and loader), and would likely be a shorter wait time. It seems my local dealers can't get enough B2601s to fill orders, but Kubota keeps sending them LX2610s that haven't been ordered. I suspect I could even get a more knocked off the LX price. My father in law left us money specifically earmarked for purchasing a tractor, so the price isn't a big issue. Mostly, I'm concerned the added weight would damage my lawn during the wet winters or the added size would be bulky. Dealer HIGHLY recommends R14s on either based on our local conditions and won't sell a FEL equipped unit without loading the tires.

So in summary, I think a B2601 is enough tractor for me, but is an LX2610 too much?

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Both will work but I would opt for the LX2610 as it is more capable for not much more $. I also would opt for the R14 tires as your dealer suggested. As for rutting up a wet lawn, either model will do that (~200lb difference) so I wouldn't factor that into the equation.

Reactions: 1 user

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
^^^^
I agree. I would purchase either machine with the R14’s as your dealer suggested and I think you should move forward with the LX2601 simply due to availability and price.

The B2601 will clearly be capable of doing everything you have planned but, since you don’t plan on mowing with either tractor, I’d go with the LX.

Mike

check 6

Equipment
BX 2680 FEL and pallet forks aerator ZD1211, RTV500
Apr 8, 2019
Seguin, Texas
The LX2610 is the old B2650 and is a slightly larger frame than the B2601. I have a 2601 a dam upgrading to a L3560 even though I do not have that much acreage . The reasons are the treadle peddle on the “BX, B and LX are all stiff and especially hard for reverse. Additionally I don’t like the fuel filler on top of the hood. At my age and back issues climbing a ladder to carry a 5 gal can is not safe or good. Other than that the 2601 is a great tractor and a hard worker

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
How large or heavy is your brush hog? Unless your property is pretty level you may have to worry about the "tail wagging the dog". The LX series is essentially the high end of the B series. I got an L2501 and it works well with my five foot brush hog - up hills and down. I didn't plan to use it as a lawn mower so I don't miss the mid PTO. That might be nice for a snow thrower, though.

802Driver

Equipment
LX2610SU 60" Bucket Land Pride54" Box Blade Farm King 4572 Rear Blade
May 18, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
For the little extra, you also get more capability, I have 10 acres, about 4 acres of grass, I don't use my tractor for cutting grass. I have a dedicated mower but I have a 400 foot driveway I maintain in the summer with a box blade and a rear blade/ FEL for keeping it clear of snow in the winter. All points IMHO mentioned are valid including the R14 tires. They work exceptionally well in all conditions, you would also appreciate the extra weight of an LX over the B2601. Good luck on your decision.

The day it arrived. (y) Still makes me grin when I look at the picture.
258650DB-B64F-45F2-8927-0B8F33EEB6D8.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Current tractor work would include general FEL/pallet fork material handling,
The LX loader can have mechanical self leveling added for easier pallet work.
3rd function on loader will allow grapples and tree pullers in the future

maintenance of a 300 foot gravel drive and 50x100 parking area,
Add 2 or 3 rear remotes, research top and tilt, makes box blades more functional

local conditions and won't sell a FEL equipped unit without loading the tires.
I have a B2650 with loaded tires, had 1 rear remote, jut added the other 2

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
If you decide on the LX, you might want to get the SU or the large tire option on the regular LX (cannot use a MMM). It would give you a lighter PSI foot print and more traction. You also might want to consider turf tires; you said your land is mostly flat (you may not need lugs to dig in versus having a large contact patch). I have R4s, and I would not exchange them for any other tire on my property in North Georgia. They have more than enough traction, and they are tougher (more weight capacity and puncture resistance). I reside in a community in Savannah, and we have 6 golf courses. In addition to the fleet of specialized mowers and golf course equipment, the club also has multiple Kubota MX tractors with turf tires for specific tasks. It is amazing to see them drive across a fairway without leaving a mark.

I am sure you have already seen these videos.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
How much of a bigger property in the future? Since money isn’t important, I’d consider a larger one like a L4060LE with a cab as well. I think even an LX might be too small depending on what your next size property might be.

The L4060LE could be had with a loader that with almost twice the lift capacity not to mention the other features like a Cab that will keep you dry, out of the wind, and warm if you live on the wet side of the Cascades.

JustinB60

Equipment
LX2610 w/LA535, QH15, PL1242
Mar 31, 2018
USA
I’ve owned 4 compact tractors over the years, including a B2601, and based on what you said I would say either the B2601 or Lx2610 would work great. I would caution against buying a much larger tractor for a “someday” property as that could be years down the road and moving a huge Grand L series, or even L series, around tight quarters is a lot more combersome than a B series. Buy a B or Lx and if you get the larger property someday then see if you need to upgrade at that time, resale on tractors is pretty good over time.

Reactions: 1 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
The LX loader can have mechanical self leveling added for easier pallet work.
This is also true for B2601 loader. ^^

I second getting the LX or the L. OP will get a bit more lift, loader dump height, better seat, from the LX. faster delivery, cant go wrong. The B2601 will get it done though no doubt.

Willabe

Equipment
LX2610
Jun 9, 2021
Thanks all! Turns out the available LXs are all SU models. Even though I don't currently plan on mowing with the tractor, I think I want the option down the road and I've had several people indicate that it is an important feature for resale value in our area. Plus, I think I want my luxury features... The non SU LXs have roughly the same availability as the B2601s and are $2050 more than the B2601. Still not much.

My main concern with the LX is just it's shear size on my small lot, and I don't think going even larger will help with that. If we do move to a larger property at some point it would likely be in the 10-15 acre range, and in the off-chance we end-up on an even larger property (20-50+), I would just get a bigger tractor for heavy work and keep the small tractor for general utility. Most people in our neighborhood of 1-25ac rural residential lots have BXs or JD 1025/2025s, with two B23/2601s thrown in, but the previous owners of our current property did have a JD 2038R and another neighbor has a Massey Ferguson 135 on a similar property, so maybe the size of an LX isn't really an issue.

Other than size, are there other differences between the B2601 and LX2610 that I should be taking into account? The self-leveling kit is available on both, though reading past posts it sounds like that limits your curl also? I originally planned on the self leveling kit, but not sure it is worth the curling compromise? The dealer also indicated that could significantly delay the tractor.

Either one I plan to add a 3rd function to the loader, though again, the dealer said that could delay the tractor. I might see if I can lock the discounted price in and have it installed at the 50hr maintenance. I don't know much about rear remotes, but in what I've read, it doesn't seem like TNT for the box blade is a big issue on this size tractor. My gravel areas are dead flat (no crown) and the little adjustments I've had to make have been easy enough from the seat (at least when using the B1600). Sounds like if I end up wanting this, I could add it easily enough at a later time? I'm not financing and any "leftover" money is being reserved for future tractor needs, so I'm fine adding things down the road. Similarly, the dealer doesn't offer any incentives on implements, so there is no real advantage to including them in purchase.

Regarding brush hog size, I was told a medium duty 5ft would be fine for either machine. I have experienced the "tail wags the dog" with my neighbors B1600 and 4ft, but that is a very light tractor with no ballast.

Phew! Tired of typing!

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I have narrowed my options down to the B2601 and LX2610.

Mostly, I'm concerned the added weight would damage my lawn during the wet winters or the added size would be bulky.
I have turfs on my B2650. It is very lawn friendly, but also has a lot more traction than folks give it credit for. I almost always have the BH on the back which is heavy, and I have the turfs filled, and it doesn't damage the lawn. I wouldn't be so concerned about the added weight, but tire choice is important. And as the Messick's video showed, more aggressive tread does not equate to better traction. I've never been limited in ability to do a job by lack of traction with the turfs. As far as bulk is concerned, as long as it fits in the space you have to park it, the slight increase in size should not hinder you. Good luck with your decision, in the end you can't go wrong with either of those choices.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I'm not familiar with the seat on the B2601 but the seat on the LX2610 is an adjustable suspension seat. Makes long days so much more comfortable.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
If your property is hilly or rolls you will appreciate the wider stance of the L series. That being said you can always buy wheel spacers for a few hundred and put them on the B. Nice that the dealer makes loaded tires a requirement for the loader. Hopefully it is RimGuard so it doesn’t rot out your wheels and is safe for the environment if you puncture a tire. I have a B3200 and it is very maneuverable. Mine came with Ag tires and no issues with tearing stuff up unless I’m in the muck. Whatever you get, you will have a blast. I smile every time I get on my B’s and crank them over.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
I am maintaining a tract of which about 16 wooded acres (trails to maintain) and about 5 acres of pasture / yard that at this time of the year is needing to be cut weekly with the B2601. No matter what you do I'd recommend upgrading to a medium duty LP bush hog (I got the 1548) and while you can cut yard / pasture with the bush hog, I picked up a 5' LP FDR1660 finish mower this spring and the B2601 handles it with ease. Great looking cut for yard or pasture. If the riding lawn mower tanks at some point get yourself a FDR1660! Regrets include purchasing the LP QH15 quick hitch. I replaced it with a set of Pat's quick hitches this spring. MUCH MUCH prefer over the QH15. Better access to connect pro driven implements (i.e easier on the back). You will find that even with the quick hitch the top link connector on the quick hitch has to be adjusted to set flush which can differ from implement to implement. The Pat's system is great. My LP 4' tiller on the back of the B2601 did a great job last year of knocking out 1 acre food plots. While it would be nice to have a larger bucket just spread and leveled 60 tons of gravel on my driveway which is about 250 yds long. B2601 did a great job.

IMO while you might save a little time doing work with the LX2610 over the B2601 the biggest advantage to the LX would be the apparently MUCH BETTER seat and if you needed the cab option. Check out a recent video over at gpoutdoors.com where he discusses the LX2610 as compared to the B2601 he had previously. He points out a couple of potential negatives to the LX. Some interesting food for thought. I don't regret getting the B2601 at all as its a flat out workhorse but if I had to do it over again I doubt I would have gotten the LX2610 but probably the L2501 due the extra weight over both the B and LX. I understand more and more why so many say tractor weight is such a key factor!

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thanks all! Turns out the available LXs are all SU models. Even though I don't currently plan on mowing with the tractor, I think I want the option down the road and I've had several people indicate that it is an important feature for resale value in our area. Plus, I think I want my luxury features... The non SU LXs have roughly the same availability as the B2601s and are $2050 more than the B2601. Still not much.

My main concern with the LX is just it's shear size on my small lot, and I don't think going even larger will help with that. If we do move to a larger property at some point it would likely be in the 10-15 acre range, and in the off-chance we end-up on an even larger property (20-50+), I would just get a bigger tractor for heavy work and keep the small tractor for general utility. Most people in our neighborhood of 1-25ac rural residential lots have BXs or JD 1025/2025s, with two B23/2601s thrown in, but the previous owners of our current property did have a JD 2038R and another neighbor has a Massey Ferguson 135 on a similar property, so maybe the size of an LX isn't really an issue.

Other than size, are there other differences between the B2601 and LX2610 that I should be taking into account? The self-leveling kit is available on both, though reading past posts it sounds like that limits your curl also? I originally planned on the self leveling kit, but not sure it is worth the curling compromise? The dealer also indicated that could significantly delay the tractor.

Either one I plan to add a 3rd function to the loader, though again, the dealer said that could delay the tractor. I might see if I can lock the discounted price in and have it installed at the 50hr maintenance. I don't know much about rear remotes, but in what I've read, it doesn't seem like TNT for the box blade is a big issue on this size tractor. My gravel areas are dead flat (no crown) and the little adjustments I've had to make have been easy enough from the seat (at least when using the B1600). Sounds like if I end up wanting this, I could add it easily enough at a later time? I'm not financing and any "leftover" money is being reserved for future tractor needs, so I'm fine adding things down the road. Similarly, the dealer doesn't offer any incentives on implements, so there is no real advantage to including them in purchase.

Regarding brush hog size, I was told a medium duty 5ft would be fine for either machine. I have experienced the "tail wags the dog" with my neighbors B1600 and 4ft, but that is a very light tractor with no ballast.

Phew! Tired of typing!
My limited experience with tractors over the last 18 years has taught me that with use, for some unknown reason, tractors shrink a bit in size.

Given the two you listed, I would go with the LX and never look back...

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
@TomRC is really spot on ^^

@Willabe, like you I kept obsessing size difference of the B2601 vs LX2620 while moving from a BX. After getting the 2601 on my tiny wooded 3 acre parcel, it did not feel unwieldy. It felt right at home. If you are considering a B2601, you can easily fit LX2610. We're talking about inches. The extra lift height, seat and few extra pounds of capacity will go a long way. I totally agree with Tom, I'm happy with the 2601, the thing can put down serious work, but if I did it all over again; LX or a small L.

I once read on here by sleddog... "I wish I had a smaller tractor" -said no one ever :)

Willabe

Equipment
LX2610
Jun 9, 2021
Update! Got final agreement from the higher power and am placing my order for an LX2610 tomorrow. Getting R14s, 3rd function valve, and wheel spacers installed by dealer. No mmm for now, but getting tractor with mid-pto to keep my options open. Dealer has several unspoken for units arriving in 3 weeks! This works perfectly for me since I'll be in the field for work till then anyway and when I get back will need to level the site for my new shop (another exciting addition to our property!).

Now looking at implements and accessories. I'm planning to get the first round of service materials and the BX screw to stop rops rattle at the time of purchase. Any other must have accessories? I'm going to do 3rd party work lights. Regarding implements, I have immediate need for a box blade and our local farm store actually has their "heavy duty" models on sale currently, but they only weight about 420lbs, which I was under the impression is kind of light? I already bought a gently used 5ft brush hog from a neighbor that decided it was too big for his tractor. Also ordering a SpeeCo E-hitch right off the bat. I'm a bit overwhelmed with pallet fork options, anyone have suggestions? For a grapple, I'm leaning toward land pride given the price difference (at least compared to EA) and the fact that I don't plan on digging with it, but I haven't done a ton of research. Suggestions are welcome. I'll get a rake at somepoint, but plan to wait for a used one (I see them regularly on CL) and will pickup a subsoiler to modify for trenching at somepoint. A tiller is going to wait a bit. Anything else? What am I missing?

Thanks for all the info I've gotten from this site and members. SUPER stoked about this!

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Congrats!! You will love your tractor. If I was going to chose I would have gone LX as well. You have opened a hot topic on grapples. Some here are religious EA fans. They make a great grapple. I have a LP coming as I have used my buddies and really like it. If you go LP go with the 0660 and not the 54 series. The latter is too light for your tractor. Either LP or EA will get the job done. Can’t go wrong.