Heat for my man cave

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Ive been working out in my man cave alot and lately I've been feeling the cold ..... action had to be taken.I know its not orange and its not related to tractors but thought I'd share my new creation.......
I found this cool stove design on the internet.....the "hotpod".Its a stove made from a standard butane /propane gas bottle.A couple of recycled parts from the dump and a whole load of man hours.
This is my attempt at copying it.

Attachments

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
]Had a few trial burning s and its all gone well so far.Ill strip the paint off and apply some high temp oven paint and it should be a fine addition to the cave.
Im going to install the chimney next week and hopefully it will be toasty restoration time from there on.:)
The last picture is of the original I was trying to copy..cool little fella or what!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
That looks like a Heap 'O' Work (TM) but looks really cool. What'd ya feed it? Just branches, wood pellets?

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Yeah I think its a real cool looking stove fit for any self respecting man cave.I found the design on www.hotpod.co.uk. They were originally made from old VW car parts, a gas bottle and a pyrex dish for the door.They really took off around the UK, selling for £2500, this fella paid off his mortgage in 2yrs selling these things.Think he even wrote a book on it.There is a link on youtube of other copy's..think people call the copies "notpod's".
Anyway it took me all told about 51 hrs to get to here but a good proportion of that time was sorting out the design/sizes where to get the bits and pieces etc Maybe someone with better gear and planning can do it quicker but I imagine even with all the jigs and planning it is still going to be a labour intensive mission.
It can take wood, small logs and solid fuel.At the moment I need to make a baffle to slow the burning and a grate(i have the big gear off an old bike thrown in there for the moment.I can take a few more pic's if people are interested.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
From one black hearted Irishman to another hell yeah more pictures,,lol,, we love pictures

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Looks great, but how do you clean out ash?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Very cool, but it sure looks more like a career than a project!:p Nice fab skills, I'm sure mine wouldn't look that good if I had the time to build one.