Hauling using 4 point tie downs

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
After listening to all you folks talking about potential horror stories of straps and chains and what not going bad on hauling the SCUT's, I said to myself, I do not want to be that guy that did not do a good job tying the ol girl down well to the trailer when hauling it.

Harbor Freight D rings - 5 bucks each
8 Grade 5 bolts, washers and nuts - about 2 bucks
4 new 2" ratchet 3,333 lb work load straps - 50 bucks
total cost about <60 Bucks

Piece of mind knowing that I got her strapped down tight - PRICELESS!:D

so rather having the two warn straps around the front and rear, each of the four points will get ratcheted down tight. :)

Attachments

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
The D rings are a good way to go, nice looking installation, sure will keep strap wear down.

Only thing I can add is that I would have put the D rings on at a 45 degree angle myself so that the pull is strait on the D ring, rather than a partial sideways / twisting pull across the metal strap.

David

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The D rings are a good way to go, nice looking installation, sure will keep strap wear down.

Only thing I can add is that I would have put the D rings on at a 45 degree angle myself so that the pull is strait on the D ring, rather than a partial sideways / twisting pull across the metal strap.

David
at the angle it is at right now, it is a straight shot to the D rings on the trailer, in all four instances, the straps will be pulling straight and the D ring will sit somewhere in that 45 degree setting..........I hope:eek:

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
Hokie, on the front did you check to see if the d-rings had the same spacing holes as the existing bolts. It almost looks like it, but just wondering for us future installers

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hokie, on the front did you check to see if the d-rings had the same spacing holes as the existing bolts. It almost looks like it, but just wondering for us future installers
Slim,

I wanted to use those Kubota holes SO bad !!!!:eek:, but it was off about 1/2 inch from making the perfect bolt pattern! I did ponder about cutting the D ring mounting plate, but that would have messed that up too bad. Now on the front, I did get to use one hole from the factory. There are 3 holes that line up vertically and I got to use the middle one, so I only had to drill 6 holes total. Took a 1/8" bit and chased it with a 3/8"
When I first got the ol girl, I didnt want to scratch it or drill ANY holes in it, now is seems that I have more holes than swiss cheese!:eek:
Main reason I did all this is to keep from draping the straps around "stuff" that would either pinch a hydraulic line (if i wasnt paying attention) or the strap would be binding across a "sharp" edge of metal. This way the ware and tare is on the $5 D ring - and even Ray Charles could hit the D ring at night!:D

OldMasterTech

Equipment
KX057-4, KX121-3, L4630GST, RTV1100, AT60, T1700, T1560, 555E
Mar 28, 2011
Massachusetts
To be DOT compliant you'll need more tie down points! Your front bucket/loader must be chained/strapped and the same for the backhoe.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
To be DOT compliant you'll need more tie down points! Your front bucket/loader must be chained/strapped and the same for the backhoe.

The more I am reading up on this the more it becomes a nightmare ! Using four points in a pattern that will not allow front to back, nor side to side movement makes plenty sense.......

My hoe is articulated to one side as far as it can go, I would think strapping it down would "hurt" it feelings!:D And when I place the front bucket, I turn the teeth straight down into a piece of scrap wood and place a wee bit of pressure on the bucket, now strapping it down I could do and feel fine about.......

But I am sure the DOT saw people duct taping and bailing wire their tractors down and had to step in and teach a little bit of common sense........but damn, I guess that is why we have laws..........for those too stupid to have common sense! Isnt that word an OXIMORON? Common Sense......kinda like hot ice........

Thanks for the info OMT!

northender

Equipment
bx2370, FEL, 54" MMM, LP box blade, LP back blade
Aug 23, 2013
Brookfield, MO USA
Slim,

I wanted to use those Kubota holes SO bad !!!!:eek:, but it was off about 1/2 inch from making the perfect bolt pattern! I did ponder about cutting the D ring mounting plate, but that would have messed that up too bad. Now on the front, I did get to use one hole from the factory. There are 3 holes that line up vertically and I got to use the middle one, so I only had to drill 6 holes total. Took a 1/8" bit and chased it with a 3/8"
When I first got the ol girl, I didnt want to scratch it or drill ANY holes in it, now is seems that I have more holes than swiss cheese!:eek:
Main reason I did all this is to keep from draping the straps around "stuff" that would either pinch a hydraulic line (if i wasnt paying attention) or the strap would be binding across a "sharp" edge of metal. This way the ware and tare is on the $5 D ring - and even Ray Charles could hit the D ring at night!:D
I bought some d rings at TSC that fit the existing bolt holes / bolts that were in the front of my bx, if I remember correctly they measure 2 1/4" center to center. I think I posted a thread about it but can't remember for sure. I couldn't stand the idea of drilling holes in my brand new baby (bx2370)!
image.jpg

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I bought some d rings at TSC that fit the existing bolt holes / bolts that were in the front of my bx, if I remember correctly they measure 2 1/4" center to center. I think I posted a thread about it but can't remember for sure. I couldn't stand the idea of drilling holes in my brand new baby (bx2370)!
View attachment 11943
That is the same thought I had .............last year when I bought the ol girl, now ...................six holes for the hooks on the bucket( reeeeallly didnt want to weld there!) two more for the tooth bar..........some small ones in the ROPS for the lights.....and now six more.........every hole seems to add SOMETHING great to her!:D

OldMasterTech

Equipment
KX057-4, KX121-3, L4630GST, RTV1100, AT60, T1700, T1560, 555E
Mar 28, 2011
Massachusetts
The more I am reading up on this the more it becomes a nightmare ! Using four points in a pattern that will not allow front to back, nor side to side movement makes plenty sense.......

My hoe is articulated to one side as far as it can go, I would think strapping it down would "hurt" it feelings!:D And when I place the front bucket, I turn the teeth straight down into a piece of scrap wood and place a wee bit of pressure on the bucket, now strapping it down I could do and feel fine about.......

But I am sure the DOT saw people duct taping and bailing wire their tractors down and had to step in and teach a little bit of common sense........but damn, I guess that is why we have laws..........for those too stupid to have common sense! Isnt that word an OXIMORON? Common Sense......kinda like hot ice........

Thanks for the info OMT!
Hokie, a couple more comments, when securing your front loader & rear hoe you want the buckets flat & no pressure applied by the tractor. Find the float position where there is no more possible movement or settling possible then chain it tight.
Then, when you are positive you have done everything perfectly, stop after a few bumps and turns and you will find that at least one has loosened! Never fails...

For my equipment, after finding the "perfect" position on my trailer, I build a custom set of chains only to minimize time spent loading & unloading.

Two examples of accidents I have witnessed - a small dozer on it's side separated from the trailer on a highway exit ramp, a result of excessive speed and poor tie down. Second , a dually pickup, trailer and Bobcat all tipped onto the passenger side but NOTHING moved! Guy was forced off the road but he secured everything so well it held through a tip over!