Guns...Times have changed...

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I was thinking about when I was a kid...now 75, so that was a while ago.

We had a local thrift store, and they had a barrel that was filled with rifles...I remember what me and by buddie bought was a 303 something or other.

Being teenagers of some age, well under age of 18, we just wanted to have some fun I guess. We soon, for reasons unknown to me, cut the barrel off, and fired it a few times and then lost interest. What were we thinking? I don't remember. I do remember a 12 inch flash coming out of the short barrel though...we also could buy ammunition at the local hardware store, no questions asked, since back then no questions were needed to be asked.

Back then nothing evil was ever thought of. Back then I guess times were different, or people were different. Don't know...

My guess is that cut off barrel rifle ended up in the trash. Don't remember...wasn't a big deal back then.

I am not a gun guy, but miss the times when owning a gun was no different than owning a pair of shoes.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
It was probably a surplus Lee-Enfield rifle chambered for 303 British.

Reactions: 1 users

Papadiver

Equipment
BX2380 FEL, MMM, 3rd Valve, Grapple
Feb 10, 2019
WV
Things were simpler. Attending a rual high school in the mid 70’s a lot of the guys drove pickup trucks to school. It was perfectly fine to have a gun rack in the rear window and have a riffle hanging in it. During hunting season a lot of the guys went hunting right after school. Now that would get the kids and the parents put in jail…….

Reactions: 6 users

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Ibtl = I beat the lock, or In before the lock. Had to look it up, but now I know

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Things were simpler. Attending a rual high school in the mid 70’s a lot of the guys drove pickup trucks to school. It was perfectly fine to have a gun rack in the rear window and have a riffle hanging in it. During hunting season a lot of the guys went hunting right after school. Now that would get the kids and the parents put in jail…….
I recall doing the same. Driving to HS with my gun rack with hunting rifle and shotgun. But those were hunting guns, not the toy soldier guns with 50 round magazines that are everywhere today.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I am not a gun guy, but miss the times when owning a gun was no different than owning a pair of shoes.

In some states e.g. Montana, that hasn't changed much. I never have to pause before telling someone what I do for a living up here. That's not the same when I fly East to spend a week with the company I work for.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I recall doing the same. Driving to HS with my gun rack with hunting rifle and shotgun. But those were hunting guns, not the toy soldier guns with 50 round magazines that are everywhere today.
"Toy soldier gun" .... really?

I've hunted with an AR308 and stuffed a mule deer in the freezer because of it. For some it's more affordable to buy an AR that for them is a multi-function firearm. They use it for hunting, pest control, personal defense, target shooting and competition.

But even then, it's a free country and as long as you're legally able to purchase a firearm then you're free to purchase an AR and you don't have to justify your choice. There are people who despise you for owning and operating a diesel tractor "that are everywhere today".

Reactions: 11 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
"Toy soldier gun" .... really?

I've hunted with an AR308 and stuffed a mule deer in the freezer because of it. For some it's more affordable to buy an AR that for them is a multi-function firearm. They use it for hunting, pest control, personal defense, target shooting and competition.

But even then, it's a free country and as long as you're legally able to purchase a firearm then you're free to purchase an AR and you don't have to justify your choice. There are people who despise you for owning and operating a diesel tractor "that are everywhere today".
Whatever. That’s my opinion of ARs. And I own over 20 guns, so I’m not anti-gun. I go to the range to check sights before hunting season and see the AR guys shooting. While I’m working carefully on the size of my groups, I see those guys rapid firing and excited when they hit the target backstop.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 5 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Sure enough - -

From October 1 (first day of small game) to February 28(?, last day, including waterfowl) I had a shotgun in my vehicle at school every day. Deer season was in the middle - - shotgun only.

Starting 3rd week of March, it started again with a rifle for woodchucks (ground hogs). Stayed until end of school.

Never hid them -- - in the gun rack where they belonged....

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Whatever. That’s my opinion of ARs. And I own over 20 guns, so I’m not anti-gun. I go to the range to check sights before hunting season and see the AR guys shooting. While I’m working carefully on the size of my groups, I see those guys rapid firing and excited when they hit the target backstop.
So if you go to the range "to check sights" before hunting season it would seem that you're not practicing all year. There are many that would have a problem with that too since you owe it to the animal to practice. Perhaps don't be so quick to make a judgement based on your limited experience and exposure.

Also, your opinion seems to be more about AR owners than the AR itself. An AR is just an inanimate object, a tool and nothing more.

Reactions: 4 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
a. First and foremost. I am NOT anti gun !

I believe the NRA has been subverted from a gun and hunters rights group to a way too political organization. Hunter education seems to be old fashion idea. Self defense and shoot first has taken over.

The 2nd is outdated. It is being used by groups to hide behind. Should be modified but not eliminated.

First person shooter games and paintball games have people thinking there is a reset in life. Seeing your buddy get hit with a paintball on Saturday and back at work on Monday is far cry from reality.

Urban shootings and mass murder are things I do not understand.

b. I am a pacifist (now). If I point the barrel at a human the safety will be off and their will be no warning shot. But only after every other option has been addressed, including running like hell.

My uncle never talked about landing at D-day.
The old man never talked about Korea.

My family taught me to hunt, my government taught me to kill.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

jrsavoie

Equipment
2022 LX2610, 1963 JD4010, 1975 Ford backhoe, 1996 Toro 223D, 1999 Toro Groun325D
May 3, 2011
Clifton, Illinois
a. First and foremost. I am NOT anti gun !

I believe the NRA has been subverted from a gun and hunters rights group to a way too political organization. Hunter education seems to be old fashion idea. Self defense and shoot first has taken over.

The 2nd is outdated. It is being used by groups to hide behind. Should be modified but not eliminated.

First person shooter games and paintball games have people thinking there is a reset in life. Seeing your buddy get hit with a paintball on Saturday and back at work on Monday is far cry from reality.

Urban shootings and mass murder are things I do not understand.

b. I am a pacifist (now). If I point the barrel at a human the safety will be off and their will be no warning shot. But only after every other option has been addressed, including running like hell.

My uncle never talked about landing at D-day.
The old man never talked about Korea.

My family taught me to hunt, my government taught me to kill.
I definitely disagree with much of that especially messing with the Constitution

Reactions: 11 users