greasing mower zerk fitting

william97338

Equipment
B3300, FL, rotary mower
Jul 5, 2013
dallas, oregon
Greasing the rear zerk on my new Brushbull 48" mower seems impossible. It lives in a plastic hood with a little hole for access to the fitting. However, the fitting is so far inside, and at the wrong angle, that I cannot get at it. The dealer couldn't help and is worried about liability issues if I mess with the plastic guard.

It seems that the lawyers have won another round in the war to protect us from ourselves. I am told that the only reason for the plastic hood is safety - no operational reason for it. What to do?

Fredhargis

Equipment
B2920, FEL, BH, MMM, tiller, grader, snowthrower
Jan 7, 2011
Waynesfield, OH
I've replaced a few zerks with some that had a better angle to get to, but I share your frustration. I'd modify the guard if I didn't have an alternative.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
If you are talking about the grease fitting on the pto shaft to the mower sometimes you can change the angle of the fitting by turning the shaft. I have one on the shaft to my snow blower that I need to remove the shaft and bend the U-Joint almost 90 degrees to get the grease gun to fit on. I too would modify the guard if it will help.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You bought it, you own it,, do what ever you have to do to make it work,,, Just sayin

ctmike

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3750 DT with loader, brush mower, rear grader blade, box scraper, rear blower,
May 10, 2013
Suffield, CT
Look for some tabs holding the shield onto the plastic tube. There's usually 3 of them. You can push one tab in with a flat-blade screwdriver and while holding it in, pull the larger shield down onto the shaft. Then you'll have easy access to the grease fitting, when done, slide the large shield back up till it clicks back in place.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
If the shield being out of place, removed, or fiddled with on a regular basis bothers you then do it once and replace the zerk with either (1) a longer zerk or (2) a zerk extension. NAPA may have one or both in the correct thread pitch but be sure of thread before reinstalling. For ideas refer to Alemite or Lincoln websites and poke around the zerk department.

If access problems are due to grease gun snout, consider getting one of the swivel snouts to replace the standard straight nozzle. To get to all the zerks (quit counting at 57) on our orange stuff have to use TWO different type swivel grease gun nozzles. Bothersome, but worth it.