Grease / Zerk fitting how to determine size

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA
I am having a bit of a hard time finding a replacement Zerk for a broken on that is located on my loader (under the arm). I have removed the grease fitting, but the fittings I have are not the correct size. I am wondering if anyone knows of a location that defines the sizes of the Zerk/Grease fittings on various Kubota attachments?

I will grab the variety pack from TSC, I hope one of them fits, but in-general is there a book, or a web-site someone is aware of that I could find this information?

Thanks

Al

lakebota

Sep 23, 2013
nor cal
I've not seen a list, but have good luck by running a bolt by fingers into the opening, don't tighten with force as they are tapered thread. There are only so many dia x pitch available.
You did not mention the model of tractor or fel, but fittings on the bucket may be sae and not metric.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I am having a bit of a hard time finding a replacement Zerk for a broken on that is located on my loader (under the arm). I have removed the grease fitting, but the fittings I have are not the correct size. I am wondering if anyone knows of a location that defines the sizes of the Zerk/Grease fittings on various Kubota attachments?

I will grab the variety pack from TSC, I hope one of them fits, but in-general is there a book, or a web-site someone is aware of that I could find this information?

Thanks

Al
Most kubota fittings are British pipe thread, if I remember right.

http://www.motalia.com/Html/Charts/bsp_chart.html

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can try to locate the loader on the Kubota website and find the part number for the zerk and order one.

Go to Kubota.com, parts, illustrated parts list, agree to the legal stuff.

Type in your loader model number and you can then search around for the zerk you need.

An alternate method is to search for your tractor model then next to that there may be something that states "<<local options>>" or something similar. Select that and you will get a list of all the attachments for your tractor.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Common zerk sizes (thread pitches, profiles) can be found at one of the major lube company websites---Alemite, Lincoln---or Grainger or McMaster catalog websites.

There are only three or four common sizes on Kubotas, by model, and each zerk is either US or metric fine-pitch bolt thread: like (US) 1/4-inch 28-tpi (threads per inch).

DO NOT use an unthreaded snap-in or push-in or 'beat-in' zerk to replace a threaded zerk.

Use your fingers or socket held manually to "feel" the zerk being screwed in. You can tell when it's 'right'. Don't screw one in that doesn't 'feel' like it's going in correctly. Clean the hole threads completely if in doubt and be patient.

When installed try pumping grease--if pops out or grease comes out around the base try again. If zerk breaks off or is stuck in hole use EZ-Out or zerk removal tool.

Some machines are all US, some all metric, some are a mix. Best is to find a parts schematic and order that part number from dealer that way you KNOW the correct size is installed.

One poster mentions that some zerks are BSP or British Standard Pipe thread but that's for the largest zerks, like our 1/8-inch NPT / IPT pipe thread for some large zerks--yours are probably 'fine bolt thread'. Engine fittings (like oil pressure sensor hole) will be BSP.

Please post back with your experiences so we may all learn.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
If you have one good one.
Take it to autozone or similar place.
They have an index card with all size threads.
Sae and metric.

Ray

JG4660

Apr 22, 2019
Buffalo
You can try to locate the loader on the Kubota website and find the part number for the zerk and order one.

Go to Kubota.com, parts, illustrated parts list, agree to the legal stuff.

Type in your loader model number and you can then search around for the zerk you need.

An alternate method is to search for your tractor model then next to that there may be something that states "<<local options>>" or something similar. Select that and you will get a list of all the attachments for your tractor.
I know this is an old post but was just wondering the same thing. I found the spec on my BX25D loader on the Kubota/parts site. If anyone needs them they are 1/4 - 28 tapered.

Thanks
JG

rustythread

Equipment
L35, B7200HST
Nov 10, 2012
Mt Vernon, IL
Get yourself a couple ---SAE and metric--thread checker plates. Commonly available, and inexpensive compared to the time and bother of dealing with an inaccurate fit. You'll likely be amazed at how often you'll use the thread checker once you have it; e.g., it' s marvelous for sorting and labelling that pile of miscellaneous bolts and machine screws.

On my B7200 HST, all the nipples I've found so far on both the tractr and the 54" mower are metric--M6 x .75, straight--even though there are several part numbers for "nipple, grease".

Reactions: 1 user