Grease selection

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
It looks good to me. You can use the Valvoline in many of the locations you'd normally grease but moly is not recommended for ball or roller bearings - it's TOO slick.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Too slick? Thats a first LOL. Moly is the slickest lubricant on the planet, but because it is so slick, it doesn't stick so has to be blended with other bases. Ford recommends a Moly based lube for all axle bearings, which are roller bearings, that is until Ford stopped using wheel bearings and went to all sealed hub units. That Valvoline mentioned is actually the lube Ford recommends.

Too much Moly can be bad for roller bearings since they can slide instead of spin, but the Valvoline mentioned has less than 5% Moly per volume, which is why it is Ford recommended. It is safe to use on any equipment since the base stock is a lithium like the red and tacky. Anything more than 5% is not recommended for moving bearings, but great for sliding surfaces like bushings and pins.

IOW Either one of the OP greases will work fine for both FEL and Tractor. Load it up and go to town.

Reactions: 1 users

muddhogg

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT, Ford 3910
May 20, 2018
GA
Thanks guys, I saw in the manual that the FEL suggests moly.

muddhogg

Equipment
May 20, 2018
GA
Changed my mind, think I'm going to go with Schaeffer Manufacturing Co. 02382-029S Ultra Supreme Grease, NLGI #2

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Mudd, I use schaeffer 274 on the loader and Lucas Red & Tacky for the stuff that spins. I think 238 is a good choice from them too.

I used red and tacky on the loader of my B2601 but switched to using 274 on the LX loader. I believe it's an aluminum base. I have found it seems to stay in place better during washings, isnt displaced as easy, and is more difficult to clean up than Red N Tacky was on the loader.

When I was reading Schaeffers spec sheets I gathered: 238 for large bearings like in excavators, EP, ect. 238 not for roller bearings. I think 274 is a synthetic version of 221, their data sheets show 274 221 also not for roller bearings.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

muddhogg

Equipment
May 20, 2018
GA
Mudd, I use schaeffer 274 on the loader and Lucas Red & Tacky for the stuff that spins. I think 238 is a good choice from them too.

I used red and tacky on the loader of my B2601 but switched to using 274 on the LX loader. I believe it's an aluminum base. I have found it seems to stay in place better during washings, isnt displaced as easy, and is more difficult to clean up than Red N Tacky was on the loader.

When I was reading Schaeffers spec sheets I gathered: 238 for large bearings like in excavators, EP, ect. 238 not for roller bearings. I think 274 is a synthetic version of 221, their data sheets show 274 221 also not for roller bearings.
Thanks for the technical info B737! I did some research on BobisTheOilGuy and it seems that the Schaeffers 238 was a good recommendation for the FEL.

Reactions: 1 user

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
It looks good to me. You can use the Valvoline in many of the locations you'd normally grease but moly is not recommended for ball or roller bearings - it's TOO slick.
Incorrect urban legend. Moly grease at 3% is fine for rolling element bearings. Above 5% moly is where your notion holds true.

Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Incorrect urban legend. Moly grease at 3% is fine for rolling element bearings. Above 5% moly is where your notion holds true.
I guess a “little pregnant” isn’t a problem, heh?

A “little” sand probably won’t hurt your engine either.

“Hey, Mr. Accident Investigator…I’d only had ONE drink!…”.

Moly is like graphite… high enough concentration will do the job…not enough won’t…but brings you all the problems of too much where it doesn’t belong.
Moly is not recommeded for high temp or high speed roller bearings because it will allow the rollers to “slide” instead of ”roll”…and that damages the bearing.