Grease, all purpose

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
I would like to keep one grease on hand. What is the best grease to use, that will work properly in all grease points on the tractor......................or do I keep a couple of grease guns around loaded with different grease. I am aware that some greases are not compatible. I bought the tractor slightly used 70 hrs), and I am at my first loader grease interval. I will probably hit the tractor grease points while I am at it.

Trying to do the right thing!

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
uh oh, you opened a can of worms with that question, you’ll get all types of religion on this with people saying all types of stuff like you need multiple grease guns for this and that.

I think in practice 99.9% people need one type of grease, anything made for axle bearings that’s rated to 500F will be fine. That will work on mower spindles and slow moving things like loader pins. It’s more important to keep clean grease in the joints and bearings regularly than to have multiple types of special purpose grease. MMM spindles 5 hrs, Loader pins 10 hrs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
one more thing though, different types of grease have different chemical properties, they are not compatible with each other, pick one kind and stick with it. It’s like antifreeze, you don’t want to mix different kinds like red and green.

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Thank you for the reply. Thank you for the confirmation !

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Pretty much what beex said. I like the grease rated for extreme pressure with moly added to it. The moly gives it staying power.

On the subject of grease guns look at investing in a LubeLock end. I cannot link it from my iPhone but maybe someone else will. Almost makes greasing fun.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I just use Polyurea Multi-Purpose Grease on everything. I asked my dealer and he said that would meet the needs on my tractor and any attachments.

I try to grease the loader every 8 hours and the tractor points every 40/50 hours, which they actually get it a little more often.

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Thank you for the replies. I now can select an all purpose grease with confidence.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I use Lucas X-tra heavy duty grease for everything on my B2650. Good flow in cold weather, sticks around and doesn't fly off of high speed u-joints much even in hot conditions. Polyurea based and compatible with other greases.
Costlier than the other greases but I try to treat my machine the best possible, and this stuff seems to work great.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
I use Lucas X-tra heavy duty grease for everything on my B2650. Good flow in cold weather, sticks around and doesn't fly off of high speed u-joints much even in hot conditions. Polyurea based and compatible with other greases.
Costlier than the other greases but I try to treat my machine the best possible, and this stuff seems to work great.

The spec sheet in that stuff looks good, it’s better than the stuff I’m using, which is Lubrimatic. But I like it because it’s red and easy to see when it comes out clean form the joints.

I tried some kubota stuff that has graphite, I’m sure it’s better, but that stuff starts out black as night, and man you get it on something, it’s black forever, nasty messy stuff. I don’t need that. I’ve never had a bearing failure or any failure due, or wear problem from a lack lube, I lube a lot.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
The spec sheet in that stuff looks good, it’s better than the stuff I’m using, which is Lubrimatic. But I like it because it’s red and easy to see when it comes out clean form the joints.

I tried some kubota stuff that has graphite, I’m sure it’s better, but that stuff starts out black as night, and man you get it on something, it’s black forever, nasty messy stuff. I don’t need that. I’ve never had a bearing failure or any failure due, or wear problem from a lack lube, I lube a lot.

Well if you lube a lot, you will notice the increased cost of the Lucas for sure LOL. But like I said, it seems to literally stick around really well, as it's packaging claims, and isn't at all stringy-tacky or staining. A light green color.

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
Well if you lube a lot, you will notice the increased cost of the Lucas for sure LOL. But like I said, it seems to literally stick around really well, as it's packaging claims, and isn't at all stringy-tacky or staining. A light green color.

off topic, but how well does the b2650 do with your wood chipper, can it actually chop 6” stuff?

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Thank you all for the answers. One more question. Aside from the one grease fitting on the three point hitch, is there any other part of the hitch that should have a lubricant? In particular the pivot balls (not sure if that is the right name). I thought about a light coating of Anti-Seize, but I was concerned that it would just draw dirt and dust. Maybe a light coat of oil? What is the correct thing to do?

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
Thank you all for the answers. One more question. Aside from the one grease fitting on the three point hitch, is there any other part of the hitch that should have a lubricant? In particular the pivot balls (not sure if that is the right name). I thought about a light coating of Anti-Seize, but I was concerned that it would just draw dirt and dust. Maybe a light coat of oil? What is the correct thing to do?

I lube the balls too, they should spin around freely. I just put a dab of grease on them once in a while. The other joints on the 3pt I don’t do because there is such little movement in them going up and down doesn’t seem to need it to me. But now that you asked about it, I think I’m going to put a squirt of motor oil on the lift joint pins, and the lower arms pivots. I wonder what others do with that?

Fezzik

Apr 13, 2020
Lincolnshire, IL
So using Amsoil with moly 5% is ok for the loader and all joints on the tractor. I thought I read to use something different for the tractor vs the loader.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
off topic, but how well does the b2650 do with your wood chipper, can it actually chop 6” stuff?

Yup. At slowest feed speed setting. And my wood is mostly Poplar /quaking aspen so not too hard. I'd say max 4" oak or maple. The tractor grunts a bit but PTO rarely loses more than 20 rpm with the thicker stuff.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
There's 2 grease points on my 3-point. One on adjustable top link, and one on adjustable right bottom link. I tried a coat of Fluid Film on the pivot balls and it seems to be working and lasting well.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
So using Amsoil with moly 5% is ok for the loader and all joints on the tractor. I thought I read to use something different for the tractor vs the loader.
I know in my loader manual, pg 19 it calls for SAE multipurpose grease.

On pg 41 it states Molly EP is recommended.

In my tractor manual it calls for Multipurpose NLGI-2 grease.

I asked the dealer and he stated that the good quality multipurpose grease was fine to use on the tractor, the loader, and attachments. He said the important part was just making sure that you keep it lubed and he recommended picking one brand of grease and not switching back and forth to avoid any issues with compatibility, although he said most modern greases have overcome this, why introduce a problem.

Fezzik

Apr 13, 2020
Lincolnshire, IL
I know in my loader manual, pg 19 it calls for SAE multipurpose grease.

On pg 41 it states Molly EP is recommended.

In my tractor manual it calls for Multipurpose NLGI-2 grease.

I asked the dealer and he stated that the good quality multipurpose grease was fine to use on the tractor, the loader, and attachments. He said the important part was just making sure that you keep it lubed and he recommended picking one brand of grease and not switching back and forth to avoid any issues with compatibility, although he said most modern greases have overcome this, why introduce a problem.
Thanks for that. I can see the logic in that.
I see your in S. IL Family still has a farm there outside Olive Branch

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
We are outside of Otterville.