Gray L1801 fluid questions

windmillranch

Equipment
Kubota L1801 wFEL, Gannon
Apr 28, 2009
Oak View, CA. USA
Hello All, I recently purchased a gray market L1801 with a loader and box scraper. What a work horse. No manuals so I am learning as I go and have a few questions for the experts.

From what I have read the hydraulic oil and trans fluid are one in the same. What type of oil do I use for this model? Fill it at the large plug at the top of the trany in between my boots? Check the level at the plug on the left side by the clutch? Where is the filter?

Engine Oil, what do you recommend?

When I change the fuel filter do I need to bleed the injectors?

Do you have a service manual for this L1801 or do I need to use one for its closest non gray cousin’s manuals?

Thank you for any help offered.

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
Hello All, I recently purchased a gray market L1801 with a loader and box scraper. What a work horse. No manuals so I am learning as I go and have a few questions for the experts.

From what I have read the hydraulic oil and trans fluid are one in the same. What type of oil do I use for this model? Fill it at the large plug at the top of the trany in between my boots? Check the level at the plug on the left side by the clutch? Where is the filter? The oil used on this tractor is Kubota UDT or anything similar at WalMart (hint: the WalMart oil is much cheaper and what I use on my L1801) You are correct to fill and the level is by the clutch, This transmission does not have a filter that is visible a filter screen and is located at the transmission where the hydraulic line comes into the transmission. If I remember right you remove the line after you relieve the pressure and then remove the 2 bolts and I use a channel lock wrapped in a rag and slightly rotate the end and the filter screen will come up from the transmission

Engine Oil, what do you recommend? I use Shell Rotella 10W40 oil on my L1801

When I change the fuel filter do I need to bleed the injectors? Yes you do need to bleed the system there is a screw at the filter and another at the pump that you crack open (do not remove this just crack it open) until diesel comes out with no bubbles

Do you have a service manual for this L1801 or do I need to use one for its closest non gray cousin’s manuals? The closest manuals that I have found is the I and T manual for the Kubota L185 and this is the closest manual for this tractor. The only difference is the fact that the L185 has slightly less horsepower, I also got the L185 Workshop Manual for mine but it is expensive and the I and T manual is almost as good from my experience, I also got the Operator's Manual for the L185 and it has a lot of good information

Thank you for any help offered.
I hope that this helps you in this tractor it is a real workhorse, You can send me a private message as I also have the parts manual for the L185 with your e-mail address. One last thing is I will get the NAPA filter numbers off the tractor and send them in the private message.

Last edited:

SopchoppyAdam

Equipment
L1801 (with a pto tiller - HEAP BIG GARDEN TIME!)
Aug 6, 2010
Sopchoppy, FL
@Vic - I've just been blessed with an L1801 (A gift!). Had to replace the water cover and the head gasket though. What is the capacity on the oil on this little monster with a filter change? Also - the wiring is, well, less than standard. You mentioned in the previous post you had the WSM. Can you PM me the wiring diagram?

Thanks in advance...

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
I have since sold the tractor and if I remember that I used just under 4 quarts of oil on a change with filter. Since I sold the tractor I gave the new owner the WSM but if you get the operators manual for a L185 it has the wiring diagram in the back of it. I would just go to a Kubota dealer and order the manual (hint do not mention it is for a gray market) You also can order the manual on line.

SopchoppyAdam

Equipment
L1801 (with a pto tiller - HEAP BIG GARDEN TIME!)
Aug 6, 2010
Sopchoppy, FL
yeah, I figured the 4 quarts after putting in a qt of Lucas treatment, and then checking the stick after adding a qt and waiting 5 minutes. Thanks for the help, though.