Grass cutting advice L1500

Tazthedog

Equipment
L1500 with 1m (40") finishing mower and home made link box.
Feb 14, 2016
Ladignac le Long - France 87500
I've finally got my L1500 and finishing topper up to scratch and ready for work. I'm a complete newbie to using a tractor so need advice as to what settings to use for work. What gear should the PTO be in while I'm mowing in mainly 3rd gear? Apologies if this sounds a really stupid question but I really know nothing about this sort of stuff and in my world its the stupid people who don't ask questions.

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
I'm with you. Still trying to get my l1500 ready to cut but was wondering the same. Looks like "it depends" I had recently read this link:

finishing mower what gear on pto?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...com/forums/showthread.php?t=5023&share_type=t

Which says pto 1st and 2nd are the ones to use depending on grass type and what rpms your mower wants.

I found this link useful which gives the rpm to pto speed ratio with the 4 gear ptos.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/grey-market-tractors/58350-kubota-l1500-l175-pto-rpm.html

Someone else may chime in with some more hardline advice. My plan is to try 1st low and the try to increase tractor speed until the tractor wants no more. The experiment with high. I think if you avoid pto 3 and 4 you will probably be safe as long as you know what your mower wants. Warning: I'm also beginner! Blind leading the blind and all.

- Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
1st gear on the pto. 5th (1st gear high range) for the tractor does pretty good. Any faster and it tends to miss stuff. 2nd gear on the pto and 6th gear on the tractor works pretty good also. Depends on how rough the terrain is, and how thick the grass is.

If your running a brush cutter, Bush hog, rotary cutter for small trees and brush, then 1st gear only on your pto. Anything else and something is gonna break ;)