Grapple /Third function not working

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
2020 BX 23S, 90 hours.
Dealer installed Third Function.
I played with it last year in the yard, worked fine. Never even wore the paint off the tines yet.
Moving things around for winter, hooked it up, factory third function button lights up, but nothing.
I only have the normal arm lift and dump, cannot open/close the tines.
I disconnected and reconnected the wire at the third function couplers, in a few places, nothing.
It almost feels like the button on my stick just isn't working or something, feels electrical rather than hydraulic.
Are there any procedures/fuses/wires I can check before I call the dealer and bring it in??
Thanks in advance.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
2020 BX 23S, 90 hours.
Dealer installed Third Function.
I played with it last year in the yard, worked fine. Never even wore the paint off the tines yet.
Moving things around for winter, hooked it up, factory third function button lights up, but nothing.
I only have the normal arm lift and dump, cannot open/close the tines.
I disconnected and reconnected the wire at the third function couplers, in a few places, nothing.
It almost feels like the button on my stick just isn't working or something, feels electrical rather than hydraulic.
Are there any procedures/fuses/wires I can check before I call the dealer and bring it in??
Thanks in advance.
The valve operates on a simple 12V signal. Disconnect the third function wire harness at the third function valve and use a voltmeter to check for 12V on the pins when you operate the button. If you get 12V when you press the button the problem is hydraulic. If not its electrical.

Dan

Reactions: 2 users

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
Sounds like it is in the 3rd function control switch. I would look into the actuation buttons on the 3rd function control, my guess is some sort of electrical problem associated with that, possibly a ground issue with that switch setup. Good luck! :)

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
My 3rd function would sometimes stick when it was cold and after sitting unused. It was getting 12v when button pressed. A few light taps on the side of the valve body unstuck it. Mine was aftermarket.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Update:
Solved. OP is an idiot. I checked wires at the end where the couplers are, didn't check the middle where it disconnects for when I take the bucket off. Carry on, nothing to see here. 😳:censored:🤪

Reactions: 1 users