Grapple Size - L3800

schmellba99

Equipment
L3800
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
I have an L3800 with the LA524 loader. I have a lead on a grapple for a price that I"m having a hard time passing up - only problem is the grapple is a bit bigger than I need or really want (72"). It's a Titan, but the price makes me overlook that fact - i'm also not using it for hard hard work, just to move brush, logs, etc. around as necessary.

Titan lists the weight at 660lbs, I've seen the same one advertised for 520 lbs. I'll go with 600 as a benchmark for actual weight. My loader shows the following capacities:

No code has to be inserted here.

Assuming the grapple weighs in at 600, I will have a realistic lift capacity of about 500-550lbs, correct? Which for brush and what not, that's certainly doable. Will be a bit more challenging with trees, but 500-600 lbs logs are pretty decent sized and not something I'll be doing with any regularity.

Ideally I'd have a 60" grapple weighing in around 450lbs or so, but again - this price is way too good to pass up if there would only be an issue of slightly reduced lifting capacity.

Thoughts?

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I think that grapple will disappoint you because of its weight. I have the Wicked 55 that is under 250lbs and there are times I wish I could lift more.

Reactions: 1 users

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
I put a oversized Rock Bucket on my L47 and sold it for a minor loss, I will bet you would do the same. Where are you located so I can check it out when that time comes?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have an L3800 with the LA524 loader. I have a lead on a grapple for a price that I"m having a hard time passing up - only problem is the grapple is a bit bigger than I need or really want (72"). It's a Titan, but the price makes me overlook that fact - i'm also not using it for hard hard work, just to move brush, logs, etc. around as necessary.

Titan lists the weight at 660lbs, I've seen the same one advertised for 520 lbs. I'll go with 600 as a benchmark for actual weight. My loader shows the following capacities:

No code has to be inserted here.

Assuming the grapple weighs in at 600, I will have a realistic lift capacity of about 500-550lbs, correct? Which for brush and what not, that's certainly doable. Will be a bit more challenging with trees, but 500-600 lbs logs are pretty decent sized and not something I'll be doing with any regularity.

Ideally I'd have a 60" grapple weighing in around 450lbs or so, but again - this price is way too good to pass up if there would only be an issue of slightly reduced lifting capacity.

Thoughts?
I have a 500# grapple on an LA525. Definitely more grapple than loader. I will make you a good deal on it.

Dan

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day.

I don’t have experience with your machine, however, I do with a not so different loader (lift capability) on a B2650, is a bit smaller machine (weight and stance) has a 534 loader…so the machine is a bit smaller but loader similar to yours, maybe. I have a very recent experience to unload and move around 500ish lb grapple (the grapple is for my Mx but I pulled it off the delivery truck with my B)…it’s not the right tool for my little machine to be moving logs and anything of much size and weight. I don’t really know what your machine can handle, but from loader perspective I suspect it is similar. So if your grapple is going to weigh 600 lbs, take a look at chart below and consider what diameter / weight per foot of log you can move. If just thinking about a 20” diameter, you won’t have capacity left to lift much log with a grapple that large. Maybe consider what you will be able to move safely with what lift capacity you will have is my thought. Maybe what you want to use it for is fine…depends on your expectations. I hope this helps. 🥃

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
Agree with the others I think it’s too heavy. I have the exact tractor and loader with a 60” grapple and more times than not wish it was a 48-54

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I have a 487lb 72” grapple on a L4701 with a LA765 loader. I would not want anything heavier.

For brush only, weight of the grapple probably doesn’t matter much because the brush doesn’t weigh much. If you ever pick up anything heavy (logs, rocks, stumps, etc.) I strongly suspect you’ll find the performance disappointing as you’re taking up a substantial percentage of loader capacity with the bare implement.

It’s not worth the cost saving if it’s a poor fit for your machine.

Reactions: 1 user

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Kubota L3301 w/ FEL & BH, tilt and trim, chipper, box blade, grading blade
I have a 250# Landpride grapple on my L3301 with a 525 Loader. It is a perfect weight/capability match. I would not be happy with a heavier grapple at any price. But I primarily move big logs. Only you can decide if the savings is worth the compromise in performance.

Jack

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have a 487lb 72” grapple on a L4701 with a LA765 loader. I would not want anything heavier.

For brush only, weight of the grapple probably doesn’t matter much because the brush doesn’t weigh much. If you ever pick up anything heavy (logs, rocks, stumps, etc.) I strongly suspect you’ll find the performance disappointing as you’re taking up a substantial percentage of loader capacity with the bare implement.

It’s not worth the cost saving if it’s a poor fit for your machine.
I will add that in my case the issue is not so much how much I can pick up. I can actually pick up some pretty heavy objects. My issue is that even empty the weight of the grapple makes the tractor front heavy and tippy on anything other than flst areas. I have to be very cautious about where I operate and how. And let me preempt - its not a lack of ballast. It's just too much weight way out in front.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
IMO, the 72" "too good to pass on" grapple will be disappointing. It's seriously heavy. And that's empty.

If you were closer I'd sell you my hardly used 54" Land Pride, for a good price.

Wife watched too much GP Outdoors ( no offense Gordon) on YT and thats the only reason that I bought a grapple. It's now one of those dust collectors in my shop.

I use forks.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'd look for something lighter.

FYI I'm running 65" width on my M59 and it's almost tire width to the outside of the tires. I'm grabbing full length trees so the wider you go on the bucket the more torque I'm putting on my loader frame when I'm bouncing around in a field.

Read this thread about twisting a CTL loader frame. Easy to do.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
IMO, the 72" "too good to pass on" grapple will be disappointing. It's seriously heavy. And that's empty.

If you were closer I'd sell you my hardly used 54" Land Pride, for a good price.

Wife watched too much GP Outdoors ( no offense Gordon) on YT and thats the only reason that I bought a grapple. It's now one of those dust collectors in my shop.

I use forks.
DITTO !!

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Wide, cheap, heavy grapple may work for you. Good price might be able to sell it after trying if doesn’t meet your expectations. I wasn’t impressed with the L3800 loader lifting I had. Any grapple is better than no grapple.

Right grapple on the right machine is harmony in motion.

My B26 has a wicked 54”, 1,200# lift is about perfect.

Wider on the grapple puts more stress on the loader frame and grapple weight reduces the carrying capacity. Wide buckets or grapples are clumsy in the woods.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I have a L3901DT and the grapple I have is only 55" and weights 302 pounds, I don't think I would want anything much heaver than that. Plus 72" is pretty wide, would make it hard to maneuver around in the woods.