Grapple recommendations for an L3010 with no 3rd function

Tenalach Farms

Equipment
Kubota L3010
Oct 27, 2022
Michigan
Just got an L3010 with a total 1300 hours and an engine that was just replaced last year. Has a Woods 1012 loader and the pin attachment system. I want to get a grapple on this beast, but I don't know what my options are with a 20 year old tractor. It's also my first tractor, so the learning curve is pretty steep and the options many. TIA

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Just got an L3010 with a total 1300 hours and an engine that was just replaced last year. Has a Woods 1012 loader and the pin attachment system. I want to get a grapple on this beast, but I don't know what my options are with a 20 year old tractor. It's also my first tractor, so the learning curve is pretty steep and the options many. TIA
Even though you have a very low time tractor, it is 20 years old, and does have a pin on aftermarket loader.
IMHO, your best "option" (long term most cost effective) would be to search for a newer model tractor that is already set up for the options you desire.

Reactions: 1 user

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
What are you looking to do? Clear many acres or use a grapple here and there? Are you looking to do the hydraulic work yourself and save money or willing to spend money to have someone else get it done?

There are "kits" that would work, takes the guess work out of what you need... https://www.wrlonginc.com/product-page/electric-hydraulic-valve-kit Also, I prefer to bolt on a single grapple to my bucket so that I can still move dirt & gravel but still pick up logs and brush...

https://www.wrlonginc.com/single-dual-dualx I've got the single and love it, it adds 143 pounds so it doesn't eat up so much lift capacity. I've also got the tooth bar which helps to "bite down" on loads....

Edit Added another photo of the tooth bar and grapple....

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Old & Tired Has the righ approach for you / There are all kinds from a single thumb to a full with bucket grapple

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
The conventional way would be a conversion to SSQA and add a third function. ATI may have a conversion (probably around $1,000) and a third function around $3-500 if you can do some work yourself. You could use a rear remote to save a few bucks if you have one. You'd want to convert your bucket to quick attach as well, another $2-300.

There is a non-hydraulic grapple made, but it looks heavy and function-limited to me.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The conventional way would be a conversion to SSQA and add a third function. ATI may have a conversion (probably around $1,000) and a third function around $3-500 if you can do some work yourself. You could use a rear remote to save a few bucks if you have one. You'd want to convert your bucket to quick attach as well, another $2-300.

There is a non-hydraulic grapple made, but it looks heavy and function-limited to me.
Bolt on grapple for the bucket.

Then shameless plug:

Stick a single spool valve next to the loader valve - that's what I have been using.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Tenalach Farms

Equipment
Kubota L3010
Oct 27, 2022
Michigan
What are you looking to do? Clear many acres or use a grapple here and there? Are you looking to do the hydraulic work yourself and save money or willing to spend money to have someone else get it done?

There are "kits" that would work, takes the guess work out of what you need... https://www.wrlonginc.com/product-page/electric-hydraulic-valve-kit Also, I prefer to bolt on a single grapple to my bucket so that I can still move dirt & gravel but still pick up logs and brush...

https://www.wrlonginc.com/single-dual-dualx I've got the single and love it, it adds 143 pounds so it doesn't eat up so much lift capacity. I've also got the tooth bar which helps to "bite down" on loads....

Edit Added another photo of the tooth bar and grapple....
I've got 20 acres of woods. Tractor's going to do a lot of work servicing our sawmill, moving slash, some work clearing trails that's likely to include bucket and grapple work as well as some mowing. Something like Everything Attachment's 55" Wicked Root Grapple looks really appealing, but between third function and the grapple itself, plus converting the existing bucket, that looks around $5,000. How well do the bolt on grapples do at picking up stuff that's wider than the bucket? Seems like the bucket sides would get in the way.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I've got 20 acres of woods. Tractor's going to do a lot of work servicing our sawmill, moving slash, some work clearing trails that's likely to include bucket and grapple work as well as some mowing. Something like Everything Attachment's 55" Wicked Root Grapple looks really appealing, but between third function and the grapple itself, plus converting the existing bucket, that looks around $5,000. How well do the bolt on grapples do at picking up stuff that's wider than the bucket? Seems like the bucket sides would get in the way.
It is not a 5k project but it is work.

If you are willing to live with a manual lever for third function you can do that for $300.

If you can live with a bolt on grapple that's $1500.

If not you can purchase a pin on SSQA adapter for $800+ and weld tabs on to match your loader. Then you have your choice of SSQA grapples as well as other implements. Your would still have the inconvenience of swapping the adapter and your pin on bucket.

If it were me I would convert the loader to SSQA and keep an eye out for a good used SSQA bucket to replace the pin on.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
I've got 20 acres of woods.

How well do the bolt on grapples do at picking up stuff that's wider than the bucket? Seems like the bucket sides would get in the way.
That's a lot to clear... I have stuff that sticks out both sides of the bucket and could not see around the pile.

With that said, I'm sure you can carry more with EA's grapple. I don't mind making multiple trips... My bucket is pin on but the main reason I got the bolt on was the $350 price tag... although new it's $1300-ish... https://www.everythingattachments.com/WR-Long-Bucket-Grapple-p/wrl-bucket-grapple.htm

Tenalach Farms

Equipment
Kubota L3010
Oct 27, 2022
Michigan
That's a lot to clear... I have stuff that sticks out both sides of the bucket and could not see around the pile.

With that said, I'm sure you can carry more with EA's grapple. I don't mind making multiple trips... My bucket is pin on but the main reason I got the bolt on was the $350 price tag... although new it's $1300-ish... https://www.everythingattachments.com/WR-Long-Bucket-Grapple-p/wrl-bucket-grapple.htm
If a bolt on fell in my lap for $350 I would probably jump on it too. But it would still cost me another chunk for the hydraulics. It really doesn't make much sense to me to include used prices in the discussion, because that's so much a matter of luck and location. What one person may find in one place another may never see where they are.
Seeing around the load in a grapple is another issue, one that videos suggest is going to be there with every grapple that has a decent grab capacity depending on what you're grabbing. Loads of top slash from trees are going to make for visibility problems. It's a point worth considering about operating with a grapple, but I don't see it as a buying decision.

Tenalach Farms

Equipment
Kubota L3010
Oct 27, 2022
Michigan
It is not a 5k project but it is work.

If you are willing to live with a manual lever for third function you can do that for $300.

If you can live with a bolt on grapple that's $1500.

If not you can purchase a pin on SSQA adapter for $800+ and weld tabs on to match your loader. Then you have your choice of SSQA grapples as well as other implements. Your would still have the inconvenience of swapping the adapter and your pin on bucket.

If it were me I would convert the loader to SSQA and keep an eye out for a good used SSQA bucket to replace the pin on.

Dan
I'm also working with a Woods 1012 FEL on this tractor, which appears to matter in terms of SSQA availability - so far I can't find one. I've seen the Titan adapter plates where the buyer needs to fabricate the actual attachment to the loader, and I'm not this guy ;) I've not the tools, the skills, the space nor the time - but He is Awesome ;)

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Couple of things, Call WR Long, they may have an attachment plate that works for your FEL (they say they have plates for 750 units - based on their website)... https://www.wrlonginc.com/product-page/adaptor-plate

I threw out the bolt on grapple price of $1300, American made in Tarboro, NC instead of the (I believe) China import $1850 Titan attachment one that was listed above. Still a grand less than the EA grapple.

Not trying to change your mind but these SSQA plates push the load out front 4 or so inches. Which reduce what you can carry. (Edit: I'm pointing this out more for my tractor vs. yours which has a better lift rating, I could not lose much more ratings and get things done).

One thing for sure, ANY grapple is SO nice.... and any grapple is better than no grapple. I use mine just to move crap around, without leaving the seat....

Whatever the cost, the grapple will be worth it!!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
. . . keep an eye out for a good used SSQA bucket to replace the pin on.

Dan
I wish him luck on that, LOL. I've been trying to find a used QA bucket for almost a year to avoid cutting up my L35's good bucket to convert it. I've about decided to do it though.

My dealer told me new buckets are even harder to get than loaders.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
A grapple, a grapple conversion, an ssqa conversion, and a 3rd function hydraulic circuit, are all pretty 'big' hurdles for a lot of buyers and builders, whether it's the money or the tools/time/learning invested before you can pull it off.

I think some kind of bucket forks, whether it be clamp on pallet forks, or clamp on debris forks, are a REALLY good idea in the interim to make the issue a bit less 'all or nothing' until you get to your actual end goals. I built some forks which i use on the end of my buckets and they are both A: a pile of shit by most people's standards, and B: ENDLESSLY USEFUL.

I'll get to the other ones someday.. As an auto mechanic and prolific tinkerer i already have welder, plasma cutter, knowledge of hydraulics, bending and flaring experience, some hose crimping, electrical knowhow, etc etc. I even have SSQA conversion plates, the mini-skid SSQA adapter, heck i even 99% built (i need to weld on one small section..) an entire rock/skeleton bucket for the mini-skid SSQA adapter.. so im GOING to get there. But i still recommend that unless you are going to get your SSQA/'real forks'/'real grapple' in the near future, that you still consider getting some bucket forks to hold you over. You'll make a ton of use of them and likely not regret them.

The tiny backhoe was 750lbs and the partial pallet of blocks was ~1100lbs.
DF74E2E8-0392-4E94-976F-00C727A0DFC6.jpeg
BA5AB513-EEB1-4641-8905-186989900378.jpeg