Grapple/ ratchet rake / box scraper

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Hey everyone, I just purchased a B2601 with a loader, grapple, and box scraper. Majority of my 4.5 acres will be clearing the under brush that has grown out of control. I think with the grapple and box scraper I should be able to get it all but I have seen some videos lately of the ratchet rake and it looks impressive for doing this kind of job however I don’t really won’t to spend the money on it if I can do the same thing with what I already have. What’s everyone’s thoughts?

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I don't know anything about the Ratchet Rake. I followed the lead of others here and went with the BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar. I love it so far. I have not tried it against brush, but used it to cut down a steep slope so I can now mow it. Not cheap, but worth it. I doubt I will ever remove it from the bucket.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I have both the Ratchet Rake and the Pirahna TB. My experience is get the PTB from BXpanded or the new similiar version from Everything Attachments. I think the EA is a heavier steel but not really sure. I had a PTB on a BX for 4 years and it was still in good shape after about 600 hours on the tractor or guessing 3-400 of loader work. I used it to clear a driveway and put in a yard. It doesn***8217;t work quite as well as the RR for total clearing, but it does a great job in ripping out saplings and brush. I just put one on my 2650 and was able to cut through roots and pop out a 6***8221; ish tree stump. The RR would not have worked for that. If you can swing both you will use the PTB all the time and occasionally use the RR, it really worked nice to create a seed bed for the yard after spreading black dirt. Also the RR will fit on over the PTB so never a need to remove. If only one I would go with the tooth bar, definitely get either BXPanded or EA as a regular tooth bar you need to remove for back dragging and you don***8217;t with the PTB & assume not with the EA version. Good luck and enjoy the 2601, nice tractor and huge time savor.