Grapple for M7040

Jon Melhus

Equipment
Kubota M7040
Jun 7, 2020
MN
Trying to decide which grapple to buy for my 7040. Will use it for logging and brush removal. I have the Euro style attach and maybe I should get an adapter for the more common connector. Also, don't have a 3rd valve up front and wondering if its worth the $950.00 to have one installed or should I just string it around to the back? Thoughts?
Thanks

Last edited:

MX6000

Equipment
MX6000 Cab, Wicked Grapple, Box Blade, Forks, Rotary Cutter, Rake, Tiller, etc.
May 15, 2020
Colfax, N.C.
Highly Recommend This for your Tractor and the 3rd function is well worth it, EA sells them as well. I would call Travis at EA and discuss the Euro Attach issue...Goodluck

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I would spend the money and have the 3rd function valve for the front. I have an EA grapple and it has worked great and amazing how much work you can get done with it.

There are several brand of grapples out there, my biggest recommendation is just get a grapple, you will wonder how you ever did without it. I like EA, but it is the old Ford, Chevy, Ram debate on which is the best.
Resized_20191221_120549.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Jon Melhus

Equipment
Kubota M7040
Jun 7, 2020
MN
I would spend the money and have the 3rd function valve for the front. I have an EA grapple and it has worked great and amazing how much work you can get done with it.

There are several brand of grapples out there, my biggest recommendation is just get a grapple, you will wonder how you ever did without it. I like EA, but it is the old Ford, Chevy, Ram debate on which is the best. View attachment 47952
thanks

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
With the larger tractor I would think the 2 piece "lid" would be advantageous. You would be prone to pick up logs extra that might be to big for a small tractor. That larger log might have a y shape to it and prevent a good grip on the log. Or a larger pile of brush will not compact together on one side and the other side of the grapple would remain loose. This problem is solved with the two piece lid.

Also while you wait on the grapple build a screen on your grill guard to stop the sticks into the grill.

With your larger lifting capacity you might look on Tractor House, Fastline etc for used grapples from skid steers at a much lower cost. Just be careful of the weight of the grapple.

WESTENDORF makes a grapple that does not require a front hydraulic line. Never used one but there are videos on youtube.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

There are several brand of grapples out there, my biggest recommendation is just get a grapple, you will wonder how you ever did without it. I like EA, but it is the old Ford, Chevy, Ram debate on which is the best. View attachment 47952

I didn't. I was quite a bit less expensive to just use on of my hydraulic couplers on the back (I have 3 sets on each tractor) to power the front) and I use one of the rear controls to activate the front. I think hoses and connectors (so I can still dismount the loader if necessary) was under 300 bucks, complete and... There are a lot of grapple kits out there besides EA. I prefer the Green Manufacturing kits myself. Less expensive and just as if not better made. EA is OK, but there are other just as good choices.

Jon Melhus

Equipment
Kubota M7040
Jun 7, 2020
MN

Jon Melhus

Equipment
Kubota M7040
Jun 7, 2020
MN
With the larger tractor I would think the 2 piece "lid" would be advantageous. You would be prone to pick up logs extra that might be to big for a small tractor. That larger log might have a y shape to it and prevent a good grip on the log. Or a larger pile of brush will not compact together on one side and the other side of the grapple would remain loose. This problem is solved with the two piece lid.

Also while you wait on the grapple build a screen on your grill guard to stop the sticks into the grill.

With your larger lifting capacity you might look on Tractor House, Fastline etc for used grapples from skid steers at a much lower cost. Just be careful of the weight of the grapple.

WESTENDORF makes a grapple that does not require a front hydraulic line. Never used one but there are videos on youtube.
thanks

Jon Melhus

Equipment
Kubota M7040
Jun 7, 2020
MN
I didn't. I was quite a bit less expensive to just use on of my hydraulic couplers on the back (I have 3 sets on each tractor) to power the front) and I use one of the rear controls to activate the front. I think hoses and connectors (so I can still dismount the loader if necessary) was under 300 bucks, complete and... There are a lot of grapple kits out there besides EA. I prefer the Green Manufacturing kits myself. Less expensive and just as if not better made. EA is OK, but there are other just as good choices.
thanks

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
do you have a set of pallet forks? maybe not ideal depending on your intended use, but i have a single arm (you can get a 2 arm) on the pallet fork frame. they remove without a whole lot of hassle but not something you do daily. i also added a 3rd fork tine to make picking up 8' wood easier.
I have 3 rd function on the loader, but running hoses to a rear remote may be fine for you.

Attachments

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
I have a L6060 with EA Wicked grapple. It suits my needs very well. Do agree most grapples will work decent. I like the one I got for the way you can use the lower tines to push limbs or roots up and also tilt it when opecirn wide and rake loose limbs while backing up. I agree you need to protect the front end of your tractor. With less than5 hours on mine ripped the black screening in the grill. They really value that material. Was bless nothing else was damaged.

As to the third function, use to raise small square hay bales and used a accumulator/grapple to get the bales together on the ground and then to load on trailer and then to unload and stack in barn. I used two different units, one required one hyd circuit and the other required two hyd circuits. Ran them from my rear remotes but when I got my L6060 knew was getting a grapple and had third function added. The rear remotes worked well. However the having to lift my hand from the joy stick and move back to the rear remote lever and back was not as smooth using the third function switch being in my case built into the loader handle knob. With the third function I could operated the grapple while also operating the loader.

Jon Melhus

Equipment
Kubota M7040
Jun 7, 2020
MN
do you have a set of pallet forks? maybe not ideal depending on your intended use, but i have a single arm (you can get a 2 arm) on the pallet fork frame. they remove without a whole lot of hassle but not something you do daily. i also added a 3rd fork tine to make picking up 8' wood easier.
I have 3 rd function on the loader, but running hoses to a rear remote may be fine for you.
thanks

Jon Melhus

Equipment
Kubota M7040
Jun 7, 2020
MN
Can't seem to locate Green Manufacturing - could you point me in the right direction? Thanks

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I goofed up their Internet location... It's...

greenes-machine.com In Centralia, Illinois.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I would recommend checking out the grapples in person before buying. If you see hair pin retaining pins and non greaseable pins or lack of bushings walk away. I bought my "HD Grapple" online and regret it every time something breaks and I have to fix it.

Not all grapples are built the same.

Reactions: 1 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Get the 3rd function. It operates on your loader joy stick making it very intuitive and easy to operate. Using a rear remote will work but not nearly as well. Trying to run the loader and then letting go of the loader control in order to grab one of the rear remote controls is not just a PITA it is also a lot less effective. When you get good with your grapple you will want to operate it all at once. Flip is a real hoot. He spends all that dough on a tractor and is too cheap to put the proper circuit on the machine. I have 3 rear and one front remote on my machine.

The grapple type you want will point to the best manufacturer. Personally, I have a LP unit. I like it for the weight and root-rake style vs. the fork bottom style.

It is very hard to beat the EA unit for features/strength/weight.

Last edited: