Grapple does not close sometimes

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I have a lp sgc0660 grapple that is almost new i have maybe 3 hours on it. when I try to close the grapple sometimes it works fine other times it will not close and seems to try to close but does not move more than an inch. It actually did the same thing when the tech delivered the tractor. but started working normally again and the last time I used it it worked fine. today I had the issue again is there something I am doing wrong. I originally thought it was because I was trying to do a different loader function along with closing the grapple but today I was careful not to move the loader and just close the grapple and it would not close.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Disconnect and reconnect any lines for grapple. If that doesn't change anything, I'd look into the electrical side of the function. Assuming you have the LP kit.

Reactions: 1 user

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
Disconnect and reconnect any lines for grapple. If that doesn't change anything, I'd look into the electrical side of the function. Assuming you have the LP kit.
Yes. There are solenoids that open and close the hydraulic valves when you push the buttons on the third function control. You should hear the solenoids click when you select them.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I have a lp sgc0660 grapple that is almost new i have maybe 3 hours on it. when I try to close the grapple sometimes it works fine other times it will not close and seems to try to close but does not move more than an inch. It actually did the same thing when the tech delivered the tractor. but started working normally again and the last time I used it it worked fine. today I had the issue again is there something I am doing wrong. I originally thought it was because I was trying to do a different loader function along with closing the grapple but today I was careful not to move the loader and just close the grapple and it would not close.
While not the same setup I had some couplings I bought last year that I installed on a set up on my 8n. One of them out of the box just wouldn't pass fluid. The cylinder would extend some but not go back. It was a real pain until I figured out which one and once replacing it no problem extending or retracting.
So possibly you have a defective coupling since it is a new grapple setup?

Bill

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
thank you for the replies disconnecting and reconnecting the hoses seemed to work, thank you but now my question is why?

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
thank you for the replies disconnecting and reconnecting the hoses seemed to work, thank you but now my question is why?
Sometimes they look like they’re properly seated but they’re not properly seated. If disconnecting and reconnecting fixed it, it wasn’t fully properly seated.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
ok, seems to be fixed but...did you check the oil level ? If it wasn't topped up after the grapple was added and was already a 'little' low.... you can get 'marginal' operation.

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
ok, seems to be fixed but...did you check the oil level ? If it wasn't topped up after the grapple was added and was already a 'little' low.... you can get 'marginal' operation.
I keep a pretty close eye on the level. when I put the BH back on I am a little over the full level. connecting and disconnecting the hyd. coupling seems to work.

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
oddly enough it started happening again after checking the couplings, it seems to start and stop at random. sometimes fully opening the grapple will work sometimes sometimes slowing down the rpm will make it work. I wrote the dealer and they will send someone out but I hate to do that if it is something easy to fix on my own.