Grading Scraper for a B2601

Oct 24, 2019
IN
I'm wondering if anyone can advise on which Land Pride grading scraper to get for a B2601. I automatically leaned toward the GS1560 because of the heavier build than the GS0560, but the dealer tells me the GS1560 is too much for the B2601. At ~500lb, it is well-within the lift capacity. GS1560 also has adjustable blades and the nicer scarifier pins rather than the spring clamps.

I guess 500lb is harder to store up someplace than 350lb...

Would be using it for gravel, dirt, and I'm wondering if it can be used to level an existing lawn with sand.

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I am facing a similar issue with a box blade purchase for my B2601. The dealer wanted me to get the Land Pride BB1260 but I insisted on going with the 80 lb heavier Land Pride BB1560.

The reason is that it's my ballast box! I told him that but dealers tend to be conservative. Mostly because that enables you to buy more, but probably too they want you to have plenty of safety margin. I cited the lift figures you did. I also noted that the loader manual says to use 1,200 lbs of rear ballast (quoting from memory). With loaded tires and the roughly 400 lb heavier box blade, that still leaves me 400 lbs short of Kubota's recommendation.

I acknowledged "no one pays much attention to the ballast recommendation" but said I was advised to.

Now this doesn't mean you should get the 500 lb scraper. I think you have to consider how much weight in material it is going to be dragging and whether you can adjust that. If too much for the tractor, it will just stop it, of course. So lift capacity seems not so much the issue as dragging ability.

ltpeto164

Equipment
Kubota B2601, turf tires, 60" Grapple, 55" snowblower, LP Land Planner, MMM
Dec 9, 2020
Northern Wis.
I have a B2601 and have the GS0560 Land Planer/Grading Scraper. I was wondering the same thing about the differences. Dealer told me also about proper fit with the GS0560. So I got the GS0560, mainly for grading the driveway and for leveling the lawn because of landscaping I needed done. Also, if you do get the land planner, get the rear blades right away. You will end up moving soil backwards.

I used it a lot this past summer regrading/reshaping my lawn. I ended up moving and removing 70 to 80 yds of topsoil and dirt. I don't like the fact that the depth of cut is not adjustable as the GS1560 is. What I had to do, to adjust the depth of cut, is to adjust the top of the 3pt hitch in or out to raise or lower the front of the scraper. It worked but with a lot of screwing around, literally. That job would have been better served with a box blade, IMO. I used the Land Planner like it was a box blade a lot of times

The Grader/Scraper does work pretty good for the driveway but I ran into the same problem of adjusting the depth of cut. I start out cutting with the scraper flat, cuts in good. For final finish passes, I raise the front up and then it skims gravel for a clean finish. I would really like the GS0560 much better if the depth of cut could be adjusted like the heavier one.

I don't know if the heavier one would mess up the balance of the tractor. The Land Planner has it's purpose but I will also be getting a box blade.

ltpeto164

Equipment
Dec 9, 2020
Northern Wis.
Adding the rear blades makes it, what, another 70lbs heavier? So now the GS1560 is 580lb.
I have the GS060, yes adding the blades does make it a little heavier. They should sell the unit with the rear blades to begin with, IMO. When using the implement, you will try pushing soil backwards. My suggestion is to add rear blades to protect your investment. If you don't have them right away, you might have a good chance of wrecking the mounting steel that the blades mount to, thats all.

ltpeto164

Equipment
Dec 9, 2020
Northern Wis.
So
I have the GS060, yes adding the blades does make it a little heavier. They should sell the unit with the rear blades to begin with, IMO. When using the implement, you will try pushing soil backwards. My suggestion is to add rear blades to protect your investment. If you don't have them right away, you might have a good chance of wrecking the mounting steel that the blades mount to, thats all.
Sorry, chimpywrench, I have the GS0560, the lighter Land planner/Scraper. One other experience I had, the ballast from the GS0560 felt very good when I was hauling full buckets of top soil this summer. Tractor felt balanced. Like I said in my previous post, not having the adjustable side shoes/runners for depth control is a negative.

Oct 24, 2019
IN
Just thought I'd follow up on this in case someone with the same question lands here. I got the GS1560 and I'm perfectly happy with it. It doesn't feel heavy on my B2601 with loaded tires. I've used it on gravel and it does what it is supposed to do.

I found myself wanting to push a lot, rather than pull, so I'll be adding a 2nd set of blades to the scraper.

Dropping all the scarifiers can definitely cause it to stop the tractor.

I do find myself feathering the 3ph a lot more than just dropping it and dragging it, but that may be because I'm working in a small space right now and I have to be extra thoughtful to where I'm pulling material and distributing it.

Speaking of pulling material, moving quantities of stuff from here to there really doesn't work so well with a grader. I know that isn't its job, but I thought it would be able to do that a little better. I have a 48" box blade on the way, and I'm thinking most grading jobs will start with that tool. Then maybe finish and upkeep with the 60" grader.

Reactions: 1 user

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I don't have much experience with a grader blade, though I have my B2601 ordered with a 5' snow blade on the front. I also ordered a Land Pride 1560 box blade. This is about 400 lbs and about 100 lbs more than the box blade the salesman wanted me to buy. Lift capacity won't be a problem but maybe it will stop the tractor a little more when it's full of dirt? I plan to keep the box blade on the back most of the time as ballast to offset the loader.

Oct 24, 2019
IN
For some reason, my dealer was focused on the weight of the grading scraper on my B2601. Like he was concerned it would be cumbersome at 500lb.

Seems more sensible to consider the width. I guess a heavier scraper/box does have the capability to cut into the ground more aggressively, either with the blades and/or the scarifiers.

The next limiting factor, it seems to me, would seem to be just how much material you're trying to haul from here to there with a box blade. Again, that is a function of its size, not its weight. The heavier one should be able to dig harder/faster.

I'm a beginner, so take this with a grain of salt.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I use LP BB1260 on my 2601. The BB1260 weighs 350 pounds. Sometimes I will hook 8x40 pound weights to bringing it to around 670. The BB works great both ways, it gets a lot done with the added weight.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
The 480 lb LP BB1560 on my B2650 is ALL the ballast I need for ANY load the FEL/pallet forks can lift. I load green firewood in a crate on the forks up until the loader can barely lift it (at 2000 rpm), and there's still lots of rear tire contact.
My tires are NOT filled, either.