GR2100 intermittent starting

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I didn't mention that I had tried a helper relay. It required 10V to keep it closed (not something that was not mentioned in the specs), and when the solenoid was activated, the voltage to the relay dropped below 10 and so it opened, and kept doing that same close/open thing as long as the key was in start position. The other thing I didn't mention was that I also replaced the ignition switch, which is another place with contacts that can be a source of increased resistance/reduced voltage. Considering that the original wiring and connections on the GR worked just fine, and that poor connections are the only things that will lower the voltage, there should be no necessity for the relay if the connections are in good shape. But that it worked for you is great.
That is very true but I still like to install a starter relay. It takes a considerable load off the safety switches and makes for a more reliable system.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
"I didn't mention that I had tried a helper relay. It required 10V to keep it closed (not something that was not mentioned in the specs), and when the solenoid was activated, the voltage to the relay dropped below 10"

My voltage was fluctuating between 8v and 11v. The relay I used stays "on" even as low as 8V. Some of the larger automotive type relays do need higher current and voltage to stay "on" but the ones I used if you look for my thread work slicker than snot on a doorknob even at 8V.

Reactions: 1 user

wbillrad

Equipment
GR2100
Sep 24, 2017
lancaster VA
I found the solution to my starting problem. For some reason when the starter gear kicks out it hits the flywheel before turning. You hear it "clink" each time. May have to do with cheap starters from China, even though I bought it from the Kubota dealer.

To fix the issue I put a couple washers on the starer bolts between the starter and the engine block. Started every time. For a permanent fix I had a machine shop cut me a 1/8 inch shim in the shape of the starter face that now fits beween the starter and block. Been over a year and starts every time.