GR 2120 Contaminated Fuel tank ? (UPDATED)

HermTDI

Equipment
Kubota GR2120
Jan 13, 2013
Richomnd, Maine us
Last autumn I noticed a drop in engine performance / power.
I assumed it was a fuel related issue and decided to forgo maintenance until this spring.
Comes late March and got the tractor out of storage (eng ran fine at that time) and then replaced the primary and the secondary filters and the engine started and ran perfectly ! The power was back and engine running smoothly across the RPM range (Herm was happy).
Now today ... things go awry.
The engine has the same problem as previously stated.
When I did replace the fuel filters the were indeed "loaded" and clearly restricted fuel flow. The [primary) filter at the rear going to the feed fuel pump was the worst of the two. The secondary filter (at the injection pump) was not as bad.
This leads me to think that I have an "issue" with the fuel tank contamination related.
Has anyone else experienced this issue ?
My fuel is fresh and I buy my fuel a the same place as I get diesel for my car.
Does anyone have any guidance on removing the fuel tank on this tractor (GR2120)

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
so from late autumn until late march ,unit was in storage....5-6 months ?
..how much fuel was left in it ?
If fuel is older than 2 months, I'd drain 100% of the tank, replace filters, and start TOTALLY fresh.
You can let the old fuel sit for a week , then siphon off SOME of it,add to 3/4 full tank of fresh.

to remove tank... either look at WSM or online parts to see what's involved.

HermTDI

Equipment
Kubota GR2120
Jan 13, 2013
Richomnd, Maine us
so from late autumn until late march ,unit was in storage....5-6 months ?
..how much fuel was left in it ?
If fuel is older than 2 months, I'd drain 100% of the tank, replace filters, and start TOTALLY fresh.
You can let the old fuel sit for a week , then siphon off SOME of it,add to 3/4 full tank of fresh.

to remove tank... either look at WSM or online parts to see what's involved.

I keep my motorcycle(MC) stored along with my tractor. The gasoline in my MC will sit for 6 months and has never been a problem. Diesel fuel is far more stable and can last considerably longer (in storage).

This tractor is over 8 years old and been stored in the exact same manner as ever. I've never had a problem before this season. This is what leads me to consider a contamination problem ( sludge ).

I will however take heed of your advice and train the tank. I need to get my hands on a bore scope to have a look inside prior to considering the tank removal.
This tank look like it would be a royal PITA to remove.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You more than likely have a water / moisture and algae / bacteria issue.
Go get a bottle of Diesel algae / bacteria treatment.
I use SOLTRON (NOT Startron)

Put the recommended amount in the tank, then drain it, and repeat with fresh fuel.

Reactions: 1 user

HermTDI

Equipment
Kubota GR2120
Jan 13, 2013
Richomnd, Maine us
Just to update the forum on the situation on my GR2120 Lawn tractor.
I had started to drain the fuel tank and got about 1.5 Gal and then suddenly the flow just stopped !
I knew that there was more fuel in the tank but why did the drain flow stop ?
Herm was puzzled !
I removed the fuel tank cap to ensure there was not a vacuum effecting the flow.
Still no fuel draining from the tank ?
Just to test the drain hose I used compressed air to back-blow the line.
And then the remaining fuel started to drain copiously (Herm learned a new word today !) .
At this time I knew there was a significant problem within the fuel tank.
I borrowed a bore scope from an aquaintenance (another new word) .
Inside the tank I found the problem.
Kubota had cheaped-out on the fuel level float assembly. Its made from flimsy materials.
The bottom of the entire tank is a mess from the corroded parts.
After viewing several videos on this same problem it now clear that this same issue is happening across much of the Kubota product line. You Tube has a plethora (another new word) of videos on this exact problem.

To remove the fuel tank on this lawn tractor would entail nearly disassembling much of this machine.
I called the Kubota dealership where I purchased this machine to get a quote to remove the tank and clean it.
I wasn't surprised in the least (re Sarcasm) $2350.00

The repair foreman informed me that they see a lot of this Issue (really ?) .
I had to find a solution to this fiasco (another new word).

Since the junk on the bottom of the fuel tank wasn't going anywhere I had an idea or more like an epiphany !
The fuel outlet / drain fitting sits near flush with the bottom of the tank.
What if I were to "elevate" this drain fitting ? To someway raise the drain point above the debris (another new word) on the floor of the tank assembly ? This was my work-around / solution.

I removed the drain fitting, and elevated the drain point about 3/4".
I accomplished this by inserting a short section of stainless steel tubing into the drain fitting.
IMG_20240430_132316522_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240430_132354534_HDR.jpg

It's a snug fit and applied fuel resistant epoxy.
Since this fitting is not under tension or pressure this should do the job of keeping the corrosion particles out of the fuel stream.

Yes, I'm aware that I'll need to keep a close watch on the fuel quantity as the tank outlet / drain is now elevated.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Another new word for you, Future issues!
Yep you have created a water and bacteria breeding ground. ;)

HermTDI

Equipment
Kubota GR2120
Jan 13, 2013
Richomnd, Maine us
Another new word for you, Future issues!
Yep you have created a water and bacteria breeding ground. ;)
Why, if there should arise such an issue I can always drain the tank (remove the drain fitting) .
I don't see any significant issues developing as a result of this modification.

Unless you have a burning desire to donate to my GR2021 $2,300 USD

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
re: Since the junk on the bottom of the fuel tank wasn't going anywhere ....
...providing you never drive the unit ! 30 seconds after driving it, most of that junk will be mixed into the fuel and the ugly problem will again rear it's ugly head.It's already formed a 'film' on the inner wall of the tubings.....

Local dealer quoted me 3 hours shoptime ( $130/hr) to remove/clean/reinstall the tank on my BX23S, which isn't a bad price considering the amount of wrench turning involved

BTW 'fuel resistant' epoxy is NOT 'fuel PROOF' epoxy.

Depending on how many hours you put on your machine, it's still just a matter of time before you'll have to remove/clean/reinstall the tank.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I don't see any significant issues developing as a result of this modification.

Unless you have a burning desire to donate to my GR2021 $2,300 USD.
The issue is that water is now trapped in the tank as it can not reach the filters or separators to get removed.

And your more than welcome to ship it on over here and I'll be more than happy to fix it properly and not charge you anywhere near $2300 to do it!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Just some thoughts on how to get you into a better place with your fuel tank.

Assuming that the debris is mostly magnetic material since it “corroded” you can get magnets and try to remove as much of it as possible. Then maybe just leave a magnet in the tank near the outlet so it continues to catch the debris as fuel flows out of the tank. I would figure out some type of wire that could be tied to the magnet and then looped in the tank fill port and pull it out every once in a while to remove the debris.

Or remove the fitting again and then flush the tank out and wash the debris out of the opening as best you can.

Or remove the corroded parts and use that opening to help flush the tank.

Or cut a hole (or holes) in the tank top, clean it out and put some type of cover / access port on the hole(s).

I think your repair is viable if you are willing to drain the water out of the tank once or twice per year and use biological treatments to keep the biology under control.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
I looked at the online drawings, seems you remove the 'fender pan', then the tank ?
I took a leisurely morning to get my BX23S tank out. It would have been 1 hr faster had ANYONE been here to help lift the heavy seat and the awkward 'fender pan'........