GPS Tracker

texican

Equipment
L3000F, FEL
Oct 12, 2023
Northern Arkansas
Couldn't decide where would be the best place to post this so dropped it here. Also, did a forum search for the subject matter with no returns..

I have a tractor in a barn on some acreage about 100 miles away and was hoping to hear from someone that is using a GPS locator and is happy with it (battery life, installation, fees, etc). I bothers me that its out there (I actually woke up in a dream last night that it was being stolen and looked at trackers from 2-4 am) but the only way I can get much done is to leave it out there and then take off as soon as I get off work and get a few hours in.

Having to load, bind, travel (my work is halfway there) and going back home to get the tractor is in opposite direction REALLY slows things down and burns what little daylight is left... to the point that sometimes I want to to work out on the farm but I just don't want to fool with transporting so I am looking for a good locater in case it gets stolen. I think I could sleep better anyways. I do have a SMS based cameras out there but I know that is just enough to tell me its getting stolen

Last edited:

texican

Equipment
L3000F, FEL
Oct 12, 2023
Northern Arkansas

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
be sure to read the 'battery life' chart ! you 'might' get 1-2 months per battery bank.....
are there any friendly neighbours nearby ???
disconnect and take battery with you !!
lower loader to ground...
remove one rear tire and nuts...

Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Just a thought-
If cell service is decent there, why not install a cellular trail camera? They can send you photos as soon as they take them.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
If someone wants it bad enough, not much you can do if no one there to stop someone. That can happen at your house just the same when you are not home. You can make it more difficult, but that doesn’t mean someone can’t cheat the system.

You could pull the battery or pull a fuse or add a secondary ignition or remove a front tire or something…but if someone determined not much you can do. (If someone wants to winch it onto a trailer it doesn’t much matter what you do.)

To cover yourself, I’d consider making sure what your current insurance policy covers and whether you need additional coverage.

I am not sure that helps or not?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
be sure to read the 'battery life' chart ! you 'might' get 1-2 months per battery bank.....
While Jay did not say it, it is almost like trackers are feel good solutions that may not be solutions at all.

Don't get wrong. Trackers are great for things lost, rather than stolen. Case in point is using Apple Airtags. Many examples of lost luggage being recovered due to an Airtag being attached.

I have found lost air tags myself. I did not lose the item, the air tag fell off! But I found one airtag at a location about 15 miles away, at a place where I did not go, but it was close to where it was. How it moved I don't have a clue. Found another in the mud, near my pond when I was trying to fix a leak and it fell off and was all but buried under the mud.

Problem is that thieves these days, if they are going to steal a high value item like a tractor, are at least 50 percent likely to know about trackers and how to find them, or even how to jam them electronically, UNTIL they find them.

I think Jay's question about friendly neighbors is a good one. Perhaps you could pay one of the neighbors to rent a spot near their house to park the tractor? You are going to spend money on a tracker and some kind of monthly subscription anyway.

Just a thought...but I would probably follow Jay's ideas myself, if possible.

Reactions: 1 user

texican

Equipment
L3000F, FEL
Oct 12, 2023
Northern Arkansas
ya know....removing the back tire may be the most effective approach

texican

Equipment
L3000F, FEL
Oct 12, 2023
Northern Arkansas
Just a thought-
If cell service is decent there, why not install a cellular trail camera? They can send you photos as soon as they take them.
I have a trail cam there that texts but what I was thinking what if they covered up their license plate. No matter what I can see or not I was thinking if I can find the tractor then that trumps everything

Alfred_2345

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SGC1060, RZ60, Box Blade, Z726XKW ZTM, RTV-X900
Jan 5, 2023
Northwest Arkansas
The problem with the SPOT Trace is that it needs a clear view of the sky. You can't hide it under the metal hood and have it work. So it would likely be noticed. Same goes for cell (phone) based trackers, bury them deep in the machine where they are not notice, they won't have much range.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
FWIW, this is what I do for my tractor on our property 250 miles away.

First, the driveway gate at the road is always closed and locked (probably the most important step).
Second, the tractor and all implements are chained down with normal locks (it just takes more time).
Third, the tractor's FEL is chained in the down position to the front axle with a NY grade Kryptonite lock and chain (this will require an angle grinder with its noise and sparks plus more time). If the crooks miss this lock, they will raise the loader (to move the tractor), and they will tear open the hydraulic system forming a fountain of fluid.
Fourth, I have cellular cameras covering the area (they are all on one account for about $14 per month).
Fifth, I have KTAC insurance.

From the time a crook arrives, I will be getting photos, and I will be on the phone to the Sheriff's Office (less than 10 minutes away). I seriously doubt ordinary crooks can arrive, defeat all of the locks and load the tractor on a trailer before the police arrive. I also have relatives all around the property.

As for professional thieves, they are not going to steal a relatively low cost tractor from private property. It is too much risk (property owner, potential dogs and police) for too little return.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Insurance policy. Only sure way to get recovery. Any tracker, you have to know (watch it ) that it is moved to know here is a issue. There are some dog collars that GPS track a pet and send a SMS if the animal leaves a 'zone'. No idea of the subscription cost, weigh it against the cost of theft insurance.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I have a trail cam there that texts but what I was thinking what if they covered up their license plate. No matter what I can see or not I was thinking if I can find the tractor then that trumps everything
Then what you probably want is something like Where Safe. It's hardwired (and you can add a solar charger to keep the battery topped up), will report tampering, low battery, geofencing, and if the vehicle moves. Service is something around $10/ month.

Jsjac

Equipment
B2650
Feb 13, 2022
New Hampshire
Is there a reason you can not bring the tractor to the parking lot at work on the trailer?
Seems like that would be an easy solution .
If you leave it at the farm, maybe change the key switch to something other than the Kubota key.

Tom46

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Jan 4, 2024
Iowa
I know nothing about the type of trackers used these days but had in my previous career recovered stolen construction equipment with trackers. Most were taken by tweekers that had no clue about trackers. I also had extensive experience placing covert trackers on cars. They could be placed under fenderwells, bumpers and in trunks. Tracked great as long as there was phone reception. I'm sure the technology has improved, we upgraded every year. Price was also declining.

GibbyESS9

Equipment
2020 Bx23s,BX2672 plow, Titan Forks, Land Pride 48” BB, FEL, Bestco Flail mower
Sep 30, 2020
Blue Point NY / Newfoundland PA
The problem with the SPOT Trace is that it needs a clear view of the sky. You can't hide it under the metal hood and have it work. So it would likely be noticed. Same goes for cell (phone) based trackers, bury them deep in the machine where they are not notice, they won't have much range.
I actually have mine buried pretty well in the engine compartment and have never had a problem with the reception. FWIW.

texican

Equipment
L3000F, FEL
Oct 12, 2023
Northern Arkansas
Then what you probably want is something like Where Safe. It's hardwired (and you can add a solar charger to keep the battery topped up), will report tampering, low battery, geofencing, and if the vehicle moves. Service is something around $10/ month.
checking this out now..had not seen it in my research.. thanks

texican

Equipment
L3000F, FEL
Oct 12, 2023
Northern Arkansas
Is there a reason you can not bring the tractor to the parking lot at work on the trailer?
Seems like that would be an easy solution .
If you leave it at the farm, maybe change the key switch to something other than the Kubota key.
that may be what I have to do. I work for a k-12 and we were off for cpl weeks for Christmas and I think i got spoiled leaving my tractor out there and then driving my wife's Honda Accord out to the farm and jumping out and getting to work for only a few bucks for the commute as opposed to lugging the tractor in my Tundra that is addicted to gasoline. But, yeah, that may be an option. Im also looking at leaving a jack stand and bottle jack out there and taking off the rear tire and rolling it over in the woods. Sure, I guess even the most dedicated tweaker could find another rear tire, but he would fail the first time out there and my camera would alert me so at least that method would allow me to leave it out there until the first time they showed up, then I would know I have to bring her her on home. I need to hurry up and pick an option and go with it. Sidenote, I have to drive out there at lunch today because I left my Gransfors - Bruck swedish axe that was gifted to me out there last weekend leaned up agin a tree.. and it rained here for two days. Man, I wish I just lived out there..hard to take care of a place thats remote.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
bring the tire, and nuts/bolts, battery back WITH YOU, don't leave in woods.... bad guys will find it
same with the jack
leave a 'note to self' on tractor that says ..... 'fix&^&& flat, buy $%%^^ battery'