Good Thing I'm not a Huge Football Fan...

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Cable has been out since about 4am this morning. There was an outage in the area, but after that was corrected, my box won't talk to the service.
First available service appt is 8-10 am Tuesday. :mad:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
A cocktail of cable with DVR, Netflix, and Hulu keeps my wife happy. A decent selection of over the air channels sort of tarps the hole in the roof for a couple days in a pinch when the fiber that supplies the cocktail of happiness is busted. When she’s happy she doesn’t drive me nuts. When she’s not happy… well we just try to avoid that so we can stay away from attorneys and/or concrete shoes. That’s one of approximately 14 reasons I have a generator and the one reason every TV in our house has an over the air antennae for a backup. Kind of amazing how a loss of TV can be so frustratingly disruptive.

notaz3

Mar 16, 2021
ID
Haven't had cable, or TV in 50+ years. Never missed it.
I do use the computer, internet and YouTube for entertainment.

Reactions: 3 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Cable has been out since about 4am this morning. There was an outage in the area, but after that was corrected, my box won't talk to the service.
First available service appt is 8-10 am Tuesday. :mad:
Is there a reset button on your box???

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Is there a reset button on your box???
Done 3 hard reboots, (unplug power cord for 15 sec) and 4 internet resets, and their techs have 5 or 6 remote resets. It is a door stop.

If this is like the last one that died, I will lose all the stuff I had recorded on the DVR. We had a lot of stuff saved from when we were dealing with the MIL & Fil passing that we didn't have time to watch. We were just starting to catch up.

We have phone & internet service thru the same outfit, and they still work, so it looks like a dead box. :mad:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
don't you just LOVE that (&^*& black box !!!

LF.. when you say 'dead', then you do NOT get the clock in the lower right of the TV screen ?
if there's NO clock, yeah odds are it is dead but.one last test..

disconnect BOTH power AND coax cable feed
have a coffee
plug in power cable,count a few steamboats
reconnect coax cable,wait a bit....
does the clock come on the TV screen ?
if NOT, then box is dead BUT the harddrive with your taped shows is 99.44% probably fine. Can easily be recovered (put in another box..5 minutes...)

If you do have the clock, go through ALL of the channels and see if ANY have something,even just audio.

question.... do others nearby (same 'tap' ) on the road HAVE TV ? While TV, Internet, phone are onthe same cable, they are transmitted on different frequencies ,channels, muxes so it is possible to not have one of them due to an equipment failure up on a pole.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
This is a good time to rev up the lathe and get that project done that has been lurking in your brain for a while!😉

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Done 3 hard reboots, (unplug power cord for 15 sec) and 4 internet resets, and their techs have 5 or 6 remote resets. It is a door stop.

If this is like the last one that died, I will lose all the stuff I had recorded on the DVR. We had a lot of stuff saved from when we were dealing with the MIL & Fil passing that we didn't have time to watch. We were just starting to catch up.

We have phone & internet service thru the same outfit, and they still work, so it looks like a dead box. :mad:
Do they have an option to stream over the internet instead of through the box??

Or local "Cable" is actually streamed through an app on a roku or firestick device. There is an option for the box if you want it. The DVR feature is stored in the cloud. There were some growing pains when they first went to an app based service. But has been pretty flawless the past 6 months or so.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
don't you just LOVE that (&^*& black box !!!

LF.. when you say 'dead', then you do NOT get the clock in the lower right of the TV screen ?
if there's NO clock, yeah odds are it is dead but.one last test..

disconnect BOTH power AND coax cable feed
have a coffee
plug in power cable,count a few steamboats
reconnect coax cable,wait a bit....
does the clock come on the TV screen ?
if NOT, then box is dead BUT the harddrive with your taped shows is 99.44% probably fine. Can easily be recovered (put in another box..5 minutes...)

If you do have the clock, go through ALL of the channels and see if ANY have something,even just audio.

question.... do others nearby (same 'tap' ) on the road HAVE TV ? While TV, Internet, phone are onthe same cable, they are transmitted on different frequencies ,channels, muxes so it is possible to not have one of them due to an equipment failure up on a pole.
The clock is there, disconnected power & coax, no joy. Nothing goes to the TV screen.
The last time this happened (7yrs ago?) I suggested a hard drive swap, but they said it was against company policy. They said it would move the problem to the new box. (stupid, I know)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Not sure about streaming, but the issue should be resolved in 12hrs 17mins, according to the e-mail confirming the appointment.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The tech showed up at 8am, tested everything several times, in & out of the house, and across the street at the neighborhood box. Finally decided that the box was bad, and said our box was at least 4 generations old.
Installed new box, (lost all dvr stuff :mad: ) reprogramed the remote to control everything, gave us a quick training session, (now with voice control!) and left.
We played with it for about an hour, (tons of new features!) then attempted to track a package I'm expecting today, and found the internet & phones were down. Crap. :mad:
Did an internet reset, and found out the area was having an outage. Pretty coincidental?
Went out to lunch, and when we returned, everything is working. :)
Hopefully I'm done with this crap for a long while.