Glide Steer (rods) GR2120 adjustment

Mowerguy

Equipment
GR2120-54
Oct 3, 2020
Oregon
Have 2015 GR2120 diesel mower with Glide Steer (rods not cables) 320 hours use. Has worked great until recently -- it will not make a tight turn to the right. Manual says take to dealer to adjust Glide Steer system. Is there a service manual or other instructions so that I can make the proper adjustments or troubleshooting diagnosis by myself?

Mowerguy

Equipment
GR2120-54
Oct 3, 2020
Oregon
Thank you thank you thank you, Whitetiger. I hunted high and low for this. Orange Tractor Talks had the solution within minutes. If the adjusting doesn't work, I may have a more serious problem, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Five stars to OTT !!!!!

Mowerguy

Equipment
GR2120-54
Oct 3, 2020
Oregon
Yes, I have a more serious problem! Whaddaya know. The Glide Steer is in perfect adjustment, so it's not that. It's in the steering wheel/power steering system. Apparently my grandchildren have been playing on the mower when I wasn't here, and they cranked the steering wheel (with the engine off of course) as far as they could with their little muscles. That caused the system to misalign somehow. It steers all the way to the left, but only part way (~30 deg) to the right. It should go much farther. Any suggestions on repairing that?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Yes, I have a more serious problem! Whaddaya know. The Glide Steer is in perfect adjustment, so it's not that. It's in the steering wheel/power steering system. Apparently my grandchildren have been playing on the mower when I wasn't here, and they cranked the steering wheel (with the engine off of course) as far as they could with their little muscles. That caused the system to misalign somehow. It steers all the way to the left, but only part way (~30 deg) to the right. It should go much farther. Any suggestions on repairing that?
[/QUOTE
Turning the steering wheel with the engine off should not have any ill effect on the system or its operation. Have you tried turning from full RH to full LH several times with the engine running?

Mowerguy

Equipment
GR2120-54
Oct 3, 2020
Oregon
That is what their grandmother said. I guess she was right. Yes I have tried full turning with motor running, hard left, hard right. Doesn't seem to help. Checked hydraulic fluid - it's full. No apparent leaks anywhere. Have not tried bleeding anything yet.

Mowerguy

Equipment
GR2120-54
Oct 3, 2020
Oregon
Perhaps I have discovered the problem. I've been checking the hydraulic fluid at the dipstick under the seat. But there are also little tiny dipsticks on the front axle. They check the Front Axle Case Oil. It is very low, not even showing on the dipstick. The right front is wet and has been leaking. So... I am going to drain and refill the FA Case Oil and we'll see if that helps. Turns out these little dip sticks are mentioned in the Owners Manual. If all else fails, read the book.

Mowerguy

Equipment
GR2120-54
Oct 3, 2020
Oregon
That was an interesting exercise. Took a half hour. One little dipstick on the right hand side. One drainplug, also on the right. Two "breather holes which I skipped. Would have to take the wheels off to get at them. Dirty oil replaced with clean. And it helped somewhat. Now getting ~40 deg right turn. Not as much as when new, but better. Things are cleaned off now so I will be checking for leaks. The front axle is where the problem is, or was, and may still be.

I mow 3-4 acres in western Oregon where the grass grows like crazy. Wore out every other brand of mower, but this one (GR2120-54) is still a mowing fool after 6 years of hard labor. I heart my mower. Grandma thinks I'm the fool.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Istrian

Equipment
Kubota GR2120
Mar 10, 2011
New Zealand
Greetings from New Zealand. At the 1000 hour service on my GR2120 the mechanic found that both the Rt & Left steering rod holder brackets were cracked. Luckily they were still suporting the steering rod but if they give way then there is no steering. A good image of the holder bracket can be seen here https://www.messicks.com/part/k1261-16570/holder-rh. Also see this image from the kubota online parts manual. Just maybe this may be your problem.
GR2120steering.jpg

Mowerguy

Equipment
GR2120-54
Oct 3, 2020
Oregon
Bingo! The LH steering rod holder bracket was cracked and barely holding on. Problem absotively diagnosed correctly! Thank you, Istrian. I owe you a Tui. Don't know why I didn't notice it before. On my to pick up a new one, a mere 75 mile drive, each way. But I have to have it today!