Ghost in my truck!!!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Ok guys, I have a question for the gear heads. My 09 gmc started acting really strange yesterday. Truck has the 5.3 litre v8 with the eco feature where it switchs to a four cylinder when coasting or slightly above idle.

Here's where things got strange. Wife and I were going into town, let off the gas coming down a hill, and when the truck switched to v4 it started shutting off and turning back on rapidly :confused: Door locks are automatic, so the doors were locking and unlocking repeatedly as well. After about 10 seconds of this it sounded like the power was fading to the door locks, as they started sounding weaker and weaker:confused: Stomped on the gas and it cleared up and everything went back to normal for about 10 minutes and then started again. Checked it when we stopped and couldn't find anything obvious. When I went to start it again, it acted like a bad connection and hesitated before cranking.

Gonna call the dealer tomorrow and see if they can take a look at it. Was wondering though, if anyone else has run into this, and what the solution ended up being?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Ghost in the machine.you figured it out right away. If i was to take a guess, i would start with a new battery if it is original.quick search places blame on battery cable clamps, power distribution box and ground connections.
Turns out battery connectors are made of something a little tougher than butter. Be cautious when tightening.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Thanks tooljunkie, issue is in this box where the battery terminals hook to. Will check it in the day light and see what the deal is with it. Had it die completely at a gas station this morning. Wiggled those wires and was able to get power again. As soon as I got to work and shut it down, it dropped power to the cab again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Ok guys, I have a question for the gear heads. My 09 gmc started acting really strange yesterday. Truck has the 5.3 litre v8 with the eco feature where it switchs to a four cylinder when coasting or slightly above idle.

Here's where things got strange. Wife and I were going into town, let off the gas coming down a hill, and when the truck switched to v4 it started shutting off and turning back on rapidly :confused: Door locks are automatic, so the doors were locking and unlocking repeatedly as well. After about 10 seconds of this it sounded like the power was fading to the door locks, as they started sounding weaker and weaker:confused: Stomped on the gas and it cleared up and everything went back to normal for about 10 minutes and then started again. Checked it when we stopped and couldn't find anything obvious. When I went to start it again, it acted like a bad connection and hesitated before cranking.

Gonna call the dealer tomorrow and see if they can take a look at it. Was wondering though, if anyone else has run into this, and what the solution ended up being?

Brother D,

Dont you send those gremlins up north/east anytime soon......my 09 has been a good girl.......but I aint got the 5.3!:)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Brother D,

Dont you send those gremlins up north/east anytime soon......my 09 has been a good girl.......but I aint got the 5.3!:)
Someone else can have them :rolleyes: gonna call the dealer where I bought it from and arrange to get it over there and get a loaner. I bought the extended warranty with it, so I might as well get my money's worth out of it :D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah well send them critters way east and I ll send mine with them,,, I have a blower fan that will turn it self on/off high speed when ever it feels the need, weather the truck is running or not,,, not a good sound when you go out in the morning and hear the fan running,,, how long has it be on and pray you don't hear a click when you hit the key,,, AND NO BODY seems to know why its doing that or how to fix it,,,,,

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Skeets, that sounds like a relay with corrosion in it, or sticking on.

Got the truck back from the dealer. Wasn't covered under warranty and now $180 poorer :rolleyes: ended up being that block in the picture. It contains the main fuse, and was arching in there and losing contact. So a new main fuse block which also comes with the battery cable going to the distribution block. No more ghost :D Lights and accessories in the truck aren't flashing and resetting themselves any more :D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Glad its solved. So much for warranty.
Usually something like this is covered.
180 is a cheap fix if you ask me. Cant get a dealer to check air in tires for much less than that.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Trucks running good and doing what it's supposed to now :D I do have one more question though.

When the power started fluctuating in the cab it triggered a red light to come on next to the medical button on the rear view mirror for the onstar. Anyone have any idea what that red light means, and how to reset it? I'm assuming it has something to do with the onstar, which I haven't bothered to get turned on.