GF1800 PTO Problems

VTGF1800

Equipment
GF1800
Sep 28, 2021
Vermont
Hello all!

So the problem I'm experiencing is the tractor drives like normal, lifts the deck like normal but wont engage the PTO to turn the mower deck. It makes a moaning sound when engaged and not engaged, spins the PTO without the deck installed but doesn't have enough power to move the blades. After doing some research I figured it was one of the o-rings on the upper internal shaft with the clutch pack on it, or the D-Ring inside the clutch pack itself was letting pressure go by. Also there were no metal chunks in the case, no metallic dust in the hydraulic fluid when drained and the lower metal filter screen was 100% clear of debris.

After replacing all of the o-rings and inspecting the clutch pack (looks great) and filling up with new fluid it still has the same problem. Im assuming the problem now lies within the hydraulic control valve and will be looking into that next. Any thoughts or help would be apricated!

Thanks!

Pic of PTO internals.

Video link below so you can hear the sound it makes while engaged and not engaged.

Last edited:

VTGF1800

Equipment
GF1800
Sep 28, 2021
Vermont
This sound now also appears to change tone when operating the deck lift piston, but it still lifts it just fine and it drives without causing any noise nor loss of power. Are there any pressure reliefs in the system that get stuck control valve area? I tried tapping on the housings to see if it made any change with no luck.

Also the shaft coming from the back side of the PTO that passes under the control valve to the "Transmission" spins very slowly while the PTO is disengaged (can be stopped easily by finger), and when engaged it stops spinning all together.

mcappelli

Equipment
gf1800
May 8, 2023
Guilford Connecticut
This sound now also appears to change tone when operating the deck lift piston, but it still lifts it just fine and it drives without causing any noise nor loss of power. Are there any pressure reliefs in the system that get stuck control valve area? I tried tapping on the housings to see if it made any change with no luck.

Also the shaft coming from the back side of the PTO that passes under the control valve to the "Transmission" spins very slowly while the PTO is disengaged (can be stopped easily by finger), and when engaged it stops spinning all together.
Hello all!

So the problem I'm experiencing is the tractor drives like normal, lifts the deck like normal but wont engage the PTO to turn the mower deck. It makes a moaning sound when engaged and not engaged, spins the PTO without the deck installed but doesn't have enough power to move the blades. After doing some research I figured it was one of the o-rings on the upper internal shaft with the clutch pack on it, or the D-Ring inside the clutch pack itself was letting pressure go by. Also there were no metal chunks in the case, no metallic dust in the hydraulic fluid when drained and the lower metal filter screen was 100% clear of debris.

After replacing all of the o-rings and inspecting the clutch pack (looks great) and filling up with new fluid it still has the same problem. Im assuming the problem now lies within the hydraulic control valve and will be looking into that next. Any thoughts or help would be apricated!

Thanks!

Pic of PTO internals.

Video link below so you can hear the sound it makes while engaged and not engaged.

What was the out come of this problem. mine is doing the same thing.