Getting 42" hard Maple blocks on the splitter

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
I'm not sure what they weigh but they are too heavy for me to wrestle.

I put 1/2" lag bolts either side and lift them with the pallet forks on to the splitter.
Slow going but I don't have a faster way.

Pick the cleavage line
Block.jpg

Bam!
Split block.jpg

I drive it over to the splitter flat on the forks, then get the chain on the lag bolts because it swings on the chain and might hit the tractor.
It's easy to stand clear as it falls in half.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC,Grader, Backhoe, Root Grapple, Stump Grapple, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I know what you mean. I have had my share of very large and heavy logs and the only way is with the tractor to lift them onto the splitter.
PB200002.JPG

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
Holly crap that's just nuts. I can see why it's slow going. Don't know what to even say about a easier way. I would probably use the chain saw to cut them into more manageable pieces.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, WC68 chipper, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
If you ordered a third function and grapple tonight it might be this time next year before you get them, but that looks like a job for a grapple. Pick it up with the giant hydraulic hand and set it up there. Loosen the lids a little bit and split it. Backhoe with thumb would do the same thing.

• Haha

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I would cut a 1 inch or so "seam" across the face of the round and use a steel wedge driven by a sledge hammer to split it into a more manageable size. Goes pretty fast once you get used to it.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, WC68 chipper, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I still split into manageable pieces using an 8lb maul, wedges, and a 16lb sledge. Wife and I both use the hydraulic splitter once they’re smaller. My Dad did that until about 10 years ago (mid-70’s then) and then had to move to using the splitter vertically for the big blocks using a cant hook to position the blocks. (Splitter is a horizontal/vertical convertible.) He would NOT let me help him even though we split wood together for many years growing up. He’s past all that now, so he burns wood but doesn’t process it.

If you’re past doing any manual splitting, it can get pretty challenging.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
If you have a lot of wood to split and want to speed things up consider "investing" in a Supersplit log splitter. Look it up on YouTube. Its amazingly fast compared to the hydraulic variety. Not cheap ,however mine has earned its keep so to speak. Around this time of the year when the weather cools I succumb to the urge to harvest dead and dying trees. Be careful with that setup. Its wouldn't take much to get hurt. Have fun. Nice tractor.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I used to split the large round with the splitter in the vertical position. Many times just split them thru the side instead of the cut face. You just roll them into place, no lifting.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Pickaroon/Hookaroon is the bomb. That and vertical splitter make it possible. Mine is a convertible, too.

That supersplit wouldn't make it with half of my wood.

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
Pickaroon/Hookaroon is the bomb. That and vertical splitter make it possible. Mine is a convertible, too.

That supersplit wouldn't make it with half of my wood.
I looked up the supersplit and think it's a great idea for straight grain easy splitting blocks. I split 95% of my firewood with a 3-1/2 pound axe and enjoy the work. With this Maple I can not split any of the main trunk by axe.

I would like to see the supersplit argue with this gnarly piece of Elm.
IMGP0007.JPG

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
A lot of mine is white oak, and knotty, or the base of the tree, at that...
My huskee 25t is a good balance between speed and strength.
Not to mention, I want to hold the wood so it splits in the right spot. Holding on to that while that ram comes in fast seems mighty iffy. I'm sure you get used to it and it's not a problem, but, never having run one, it kinda makes me iffy.