Gear lube level?

Gatormark

Nov 27, 2012
River Ridge Fla USA
Saw somewhere on here that they found the oil level low on the front end of theyre 4 wd L3800. I checked mine thru the filler hole( larger hole on left side of axlehousing looking from the front) and stuck a twist tie all the way down into the housing before it showed any lube. Is this ok? I added a quart just to be sure. Thge owners manual is very vauge on the level.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Low?

My L3200 (same front axle) owners manual states that the oil level should be filled to the check plug port. This would be a lower level than the fill plug / port. So you may now be overfilled if you filled to the level of the fill plug/port (#2 item in the picture)

For referance - See picture 1AGAPBTAP042A on page 68 of your owners manual it shows #1 is the check plug and #2 is the fill plug, and it definatly shows the fill plug higher than the check plug/port. The description of #1 and #2 is found right below the picture.

The text is describing the refill procedure, but the level is the level regardless of checking or refilling. In other words, full is full, regardless if refilling, topping off or checking!

FYI - overfilling can cause seals to blow out in certain cases, so it should not be run over full.

Hope this helps, David

Last edited: