GAS Prices Dont Matter

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
A question about the pellet stoves,, can you use the same chimney as for the wood stove?
No. They require a special 4” pipe. And it’s double walled. Outside air feeds down the outer wall and exhaust up the inner wall.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
No. They require a special 4” pipe. And it’s double walled. Outside air feeds down the outer wall and exhaust up the inner wall.

Well, not quite. It's a lot like B vent, but heavier walled, there is an airgap between the inner and outer walls, but there is also an insulation rope between each section. It can be either 3" or 4" vent, most stoves under 30K BTU use 3", but if the length of pipe exceeds I think 50', then you go up to 4". Number of bends also is a factor, one where you want to keep it to 3 or fewer bends.

Most pellet stoves have an outside air kit to provide intake air and seal the combustion chamber completely off from inside the home. This way you aren't losing heat up the chimney like with a wood stove or fireplace, making it highly efficient. Pellet stove have an efficiency rating and can be used as a tax credit.

There are fireplace inserts that run a flexible vent up the chimney and attach with a T fitting to the back of the stove, and a cap is installed at the top of the chimney. What I am looking to do is a stand alone unit that uses the fireplace in the basement. I am not yet certain how I will do it, I think I need to remove the stone shelf on the floor, I forget what its called, mantle is above, heart I believe is the box, but forget what the stone in front of it is called. That is what is in the way, and then I need an insulated shield to go over the front of the fireplace to block out cold air coming down the chimney. Outside air I can get from the one side of the fireplace as it is under the maximum length for the intake.

The venting does get hot during use so clearances are a must to be followed. They also have to be cleaned beginning of every season, and the glass and firebox cleaned when the hopper is filled to remove ash and soot off the glass. Not maintenance free, but only takes about 10 minutes tops.

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
I love the ones that hang out behind semis, just far enough back to get the turbulence off them 😂
Do you realize how close I have to get to the semi in my Fleetwood pulling my Ram to stay out of the buffeting? 🤣😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
A question about the pellet stoves,, can you use the same chimney as for the wood stove?
Skeets - I can only speak to NYS, but no. Can’t vent both through a chimney.

A pellet stove can be run through a 3 or 4” double-walled direct vent. Many pellet stoves are not equipped to run a 6 or 8” pipe. Mine is, but it’s an adapter this stove takes.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico

A pellet stove can be run through a 3 or 4” double-walled direct vent. Many pellet stoves are not equipped to run a 6 or 8” pipe. Mine is, but it’s an adapter this stove takes.
You could run the pellet stove pipe up through the wood stove chimney, because it’s smaller diameter, but you would still need the specific pellet stove chimney pipe.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa

OK I was thinking maybe getting rid of the wood stove inthe basement and using a pellet ,, thanks much

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
55* here in Maine this morning. Actually thought about firing up the woodstove. Weather showed several inches of snow on Mt Washington last night...lol
All the folks camping. Bundle up and get the campfire going.
Us 'heavier' folks love this weather.
We had a reprieve from the excessive heat of the high 90's. 👍👍👍👍 It was 92° today 🙄🙄🙄

Grateful11

Apr 20, 2010
Piedmont, NC
“Going to the bank with their paycheck”. Does anyone do that anymore? Who still gets a paper paycheck? Direct deposit has been standard for the past 2 decades.
It was a figure of speech. I'm old and used to do that until there were two armed off duty policeman at the bank, one a each entrance. So I signed up for direct deposit which they had just started where I was working.

Grateful11

Apr 20, 2010
Piedmont, NC
55* here in Maine this morning. Actually thought about firing up the woodstove. Weather showed several inches of snow on Mt Washington last night...lol
All the folks camping. Bundle up and get the campfire going.
Us 'heavier' folks love this weather.
It was 49˚ here in west central North Carolina this morning, wow it was nice. Made to 85˚ this afternoon, supposed to be 95-100˚ Wednesday. Wanted to have fire in the firepit this evening but it's so dry it's scary here.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
It was 49˚ here in west central North Carolina this morning, wow it was nice. Made to 85˚ this afternoon, supposed to be 95-100˚ Wednesday. Wanted to have fire in the firepit this evening but it's so dry it's scary here.
50 degrees here this morning. Only made it to 75. Cloudy and rain showers off and on.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
OK I was thinking maybe getting rid of the wood stove inthe basement and using a pellet ,, thanks much
Skeets - - running just one appliance could be possibility. I took it as using both.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Diesel hit $5.99 here today. Up north tourist area , gas stations are busy.
Like others weekends are horrible for traffic.
Ya we are all going to need to move to Alaska to get some piece and quiet again.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Skeets - - running just one appliance could be possibility. I took it as using both.
No I dont know as that would work so well , though the gas furnace and hot water heater both use the same flue, but maybe thats different

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Ya we are all going to need to move to Alaska to get some piece and quiet again.
I love Alaska , I've visited many times. If it wasn't for the five hrs of daylight in the winter I'd be a full timer. And if solitude is what you want. Its there. One just needs "deep pockets" to live there. lol.
As far as heating here in the lower 48. Its gonna be one hard winter for alot. At least here in Maine. Alot of retired fixed income elderly trying to heat old uninsulated homes. Its sad actually.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re:

the gas furnace and hot water heater both use the same flue, but maybe thats different

yes, BUT.... there 'should' be 'back draft' prevention to keep either 'applicance's' exhaust from going into the other and then into the house.

re: stove pipe...be sure to read the maximum length both horizontally, vertically and # of elbows you can have !! My new gas furnace had a WHOLE section on 'venting' !

re: venting. Sounds like pellet stove has 'coaxial' venting, same as my fireplace. Cold outside air comes in the outer section as hot exhaust goes out the inner one.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Here is the install manual for the Pellet stove vent pipe. Do NOT use B vent, it will melt. Proper venting for a pellet stove uses gaskets or sealant between sections, no they do not use outside air between the walls, just air gap, and must maintain minimum 1" clearance to combustibles and yes the pipe DOES get hot. It is also highly recommended to put an outside air kit in to completely isolate combustion air from inside air.

Here is for the other type vent, very similar, slightly different from the pro. https://duravent.wpengine.com/wp-co...stall-Instructions_PelletVent_07-17-17_V2.pdf

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Did anyone happen to see the "verify" story on the news last night. Someone on facebook said the USA has 400 yrs of oil reserve in the ground in the continental US to be tapped and pumped.
The Verify report checked with several sources and found the US only has 58 yrs of oil sitting in the ground waiting to be pumped.
That doesn't seem like a long time.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Last November I installed a small pellet stove in our converted garage that is off the kitchen, previously we used a propane garage heater, but the past couple years, used an electric to take out the nip but not really heat it up, but downside, the house furnaces make up the difference, so either way uses Propane, and electricity.

I bought 2 tons of pellets, roughly $400 or so, and ran through about 2/3rds of it, but our propane use dropped, and so did the electricity, and the house was warmer overall. The pellet stove is automatic, so it maintains a 4 degree spread in temps and on the coldest days ran maybe a few hours at most.

This year I plan to put one to heat the whole house, and that should really cut back on Propane and electricity. We have 2 furnaces in the house because it is a long ranch and the main one cannot force enough air down to the back of it. Hoping that with the whole house being heated by pellets, we can bring the cost of heating down a bit and recover the cost in a year or two. I just need to find a unit that uses a remote thermostat for it to work properly.
Look at Harman stoves, the remote is good out to about 40 ft.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If there was only 58 yrs of oil underground, you'd KNOW PDQ.... stock market, billionaires, polliticians would ALL be doing SOMETHING... jes follow the money....
There's over 400 yrs worth and that's based on 'modelling projections of increased usage and loss of imports'

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
But but but OAC said we only had 12 years left