G1800 Reversed Polarity Damage

LocoDr

Equipment
G1800
Jun 2, 2010
Peculiar, mo
The battery terminals were reversed on my G1800 during a battery change (wrong battery, terminals opposite) and then the tractor was tried to start. Things lit for a second then everything died. Now it will not do anything when the key is turned - nothing. It had the 10A fuse blown, replaced it, turned the key and it immediately blew. Blew another just to be sure.
Any thoughts on what is causing this???
Help!

:confused:

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
The battery terminals were reversed on my G1800 during a battery change (wrong battery, terminals opposite) and then the tractor was tried to start. Things lit for a second then everything died. Now it will not do anything when the key is turned - nothing. It had the 10A fuse blown, replaced it, turned the key and it immediately blew. Blew another just to be sure.
Any thoughts on what is causing this???
Help!

:confused:
A blowing fuse indicates a dead short somewhere. Possible something in the regulator or............ just about anything:eek:

PCweber

May 21, 2010
Lincoln, NE
I would isolate the alterntor and voltage regulator, replace the fuse and try again. If it does not blow reconnect 1 of them, try again, then the other. Liekly 1 of those 2 items.