G1800 cranks , won’t fire

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
I would put the adjustment back where it was. For starts the manual instructions for me have been vague. It says to start these engines at half throttle. I what found that works the best for more having 3 of these little guys is to glow the plugs for at least a minute no matter what the light says. Turn the engine over at no throttle then set to half. Bring it back down after start.
Hope this is helpful.
That seems like a whole lot of useless fooling around. Unless VERY cold, mine will start with one glow plug cycle even at idle. But, I simply put the lever to a slightly high idle est about what would be 1500 RPM or so. It'll throw one little puff of smoke and immediately clear up

Torinodan

Equipment
T1600 X2, G4200, G5200, Ford 2810
Oct 14, 2021
Fayetteville GA
That seems like a whole lot of useless fooling around. Unless VERY cold, mine will start with one glow plug cycle even at idle. But, I simply put the lever to a slightly high idle est about what would be 1500 RPM or so. It'll throw one little puff of smoke and immediately clear up
So it sounds like we're both are uselessly fooling around or we found a way that works for us independently. That's fine. You do you and enjoy your little tractor.

Last edited:

Soonerdad

Equipment
G1800
Jun 12, 2022
Tulsa, Ok
Pump will be back tomorrow. Shop is sending back the old parts to show the condition and the effects of scour. Bench tested for pressure and all good. I will post pics of the bad plungers.

Reactions: 1 user

Torinodan

Equipment
T1600 X2, G4200, G5200, Ford 2810
Oct 14, 2021
Fayetteville GA
Cool, hopefully we can learn from your experience.
Did you mention how many hours it had. Type of oil and frequency of oil changes, etc. Some things just fail.
Always curious about the high load rotating parts and what I can do to help mine last longer. No judgment from me on using other than Kubota oils and filters.

Last edited:

Soonerdad

Equipment
G1800
Jun 12, 2022
Tulsa, Ok
Cool, hopefully we can learn from your experience.
Did you mention how many hours it had. Type of oil and frequency of oil changes, etc. Some things just fail.
Always curious about the high load rotating parts and what I can do to help mine last longer. No judgment from me on using other than Kubota oils and filters.
This unit has a working engine hour counter that shows 515 hours. She’s in super shape for her age. Really good shape. It set for 3 yrs. I bought it in June. Did a complete reset maintenance. Fuel system was pretty nasty from setting. New filters for fuel lines , oil change, lube etc. will change out fuel filters again to ensure we’re fresh for the new injection pump rebuild.

Soonerdad

Equipment
G1800
Jun 12, 2022
Tulsa, Ok
Pump back this morning. Below are the old parts that have been replaced. The delivery valve on bottom right is literally stuck. As you can see it was pretty much in need of a redo. Gonna bolt her back on this evening I hope.
2178B1E4-D628-43FD-84FC-0D213D3D70BF.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
will change out fuel filters again
Make sure you spec the fuel filters for their micron rating. You can look them up online. WSM specifies 15 microns for this motor.

On my G1800, the upstream filter is a durable, clear cased, plastic screen type, WIX 10248. It has a 120 micron rating, so it's just for the big gunk. The downstream filter is a WIX 33482 fuel injection filter, which specs at 13 microns. Both of them are the in-line type. You'll need to special order both of these filters, they are not usually carried in stock. Auto Plus carries WIX. NAPA does too, but they use different part numbers for them.

-Paul

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Afterthought.
If you're not in too big a hurry, I would highly recommend pulling the seat and fender pan to get at the fuel tank. Dump that bad boy out and rinse it with new fuel before reinstalling. And, when you get a look at all the debris clogging the cooling fins on your transaxle, you'll thank me for the suggestion! In the bargain, you get great access to the upstream fuel filter. Some people blow out the transaxle fins with compressed air. I sprayed everything down with Purple Power and hit it with a garden hose. Took about 10 minutes.

After you get the seat off, the fender pan is held on with six bolts that all need a 14mm wrench.

-Paul

Reactions: 1 users

Soonerdad

Equipment
G1800
Jun 12, 2022
Tulsa, Ok
Final Update- FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got her all back together and buttoned up this afternoon. Primed the pump a little and she cracked right off after a good glow plug warm up. Runs smooth as butter. Glad it’s done. Thank you to everyone that offered input . I appreciate it. Thanks again.

Reactions: 4 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Great that you got it going again and posted the final resolution to the problem.

Other than not starting and running was there any indication of the problem? I think you found out that there was no fuel at the injector but please post back a summary on what lead you to the pump if you have time.

Soonerdad

Equipment
G1800
Jun 12, 2022
Tulsa, Ok
Great that you got it going again and posted the final resolution to the problem.

Other than not starting and running was there any indication of the problem? I think you found out that there was no fuel at the injector but please post back a summary on what lead you to the pump if you have time.
It was running fine before. Little hard to start but nothing out of the ordinary. Guess it just decided to quit.
I ended up at the pump because everything else I chased led back to the pump. Fuel pump worked. Fuel to the bleed screw. Fuel solenoid works . pulled high pressure lines off of pump and got a very weak flow of fuel when cranking. Literally no fuel to the injectors. Considering all of the above the only thing left was the pump. As you can see on the photo I posted the amount of scour on the plungers and the frozen up delivery valve show how bad the pump was . All from dirty fuel and setting for 2-3 years before I got it.

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Soonerdad, If I was you, I'd maybe start shopping new or rebuilt injectors...
Cuz it sounds like you had something gunky going on.
"Birds of a feather flock together."

And, think about upgrading your fuel filters, if you haven't already.

In other news, a G1800 (non-S) with 1131 hours on it and a 60" deck sold at auction nearby this week for $1210, including buyer commission:

-Paul

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Just a suggestion, but it might be helpful to others if you posted the name of the repair shop that did your pump repair.

Seems like they did you good and could help others in the future.

Nothing beats an honest reference from a satisfied customer, both for the shop and for whoever might need help in the future.

Soonerdad

Equipment
G1800
Jun 12, 2022
Tulsa, Ok
Good point. Below is the information. I live in Tulsa, Ok . Shipped it and got it back in 3 days.Got this reference from the local Kubota dealer. He does all their pump rebuilds. I think they have 4 locations so that says a lot I think. Very reasonable pricing , quick turnaround and sends old parts to show you what exactly was the issue. Of you need a pump rebuilt for less than half the cost of a new one , give these folks a call.
F35AEB0B-8AD2-40C6-AD39-AD9AFAB4936F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

rcr1991

Equipment
L3400
Jul 11, 2013
El Porvenir, New Mexico
Well it’s clear the pump isnt pumping. Being cam driven, it is possible the lobes on the cam are worn beyond spec which I don’t buy or , the drive gear isn’t turning. Likely a sheared key i guess. How it sheared who knows. May be all wet but that’s the most logical path in my mind anyway. I have attached the schematic of the fuel camshaft. I welcome all feedback. View attachment 88796
I seem to have a similar problem on a L3400. Started fine one day, drove it for 15 minutes, and it has not started since. Suspected bad fuel pump, so replaced pump with a new one. Have fuel all the way to injectors. Not a ton of pressure, but I've read that is normal. But when I crack an injector nut, essentially no flow there. Have tried all the air bleeding procedures. Anything else before putting it on a trailer for 3 hour drive to dealer.

Soonerdad

Equipment
G1800
Jun 12, 2022
Tulsa, Ok
Well I’m not an expert but here’s a checklist in case

1.fuel pump is working ?
2. fuel to the bleeder screw?
3. fuel cutoff solenoid working?
4. Rack not stuck?
5. High pressure lines clear?
6. Glow Plugs working?
7. Safety Switches not an issue?

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
It appears my comment about turning up the fuel 4 turns has opened the “ your a dumb shit” portal…lol
I didn't mean to offend, just wanted to make sure we were trying to diagnose the original problem, and not going off on a wild goose chase chasing a side-effect of the 4 turns, or that it didn't create a new and different problem.

But it seems like if the pump plungers were scoured, you had low pressure and volume and that didn't happen overnight (in this case, anyway.. you didn't run it on gas etc). So not pushing enough fuel to start the engine at low throttle.. checks out. Making you want to tinker with fuel settings.. makes sense. I'm guessing they 're-indexed' or readjusted that fuel screw when they went through the pump, because if you turned the fuel up and still had clear exhaust before, i expect if they fixed the actual pump problem and you still had '4 more than stock' you'd now be rolling coal. 😂

Anyway, no offense meant. Glad it's fixed!

Soonerdad

Equipment
G1800
Jun 12, 2022
Tulsa, Ok
No offense taken. Runs like a Champ now and that’s a good thing. I did learn lot as a result of all this,